Thread: Shoulder Bag or Backpacks

Default Shoulder Bag or Backpacks

Hi Guys,

Was thinking whether you guys have any suggestion for getting the right bag?
    I have a 2 bodies and have 4-5 lenses to go about but not sure which is the best bag to go about.
    Shoulder Bag or backpack.
    Currently looking at some of the lowepro bags but not sure what is the model
    Any suggestion?

Budget : Not more than $150

Thanks!!!!

Default Re: Shoulder Bag or Backpacks

Quote Originally Posted by semaj733 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Was thinking whether you guys have any suggestion for getting the right bag?
    I have a 2 bodies and have 4-5 lenses to go about but not sure which is the best bag to go about.
    Shoulder Bag or backpack.
    Currently looking at some of the lowepro bags but not sure what is the model
    Any suggestion?

Budget : Not more than $150

Thanks!!!!
    What kind of photography do you like to do?
    Backpacks are not the best bags to use if you need to remove your stowed equipment quickly. Shoulder bags are better in this regard.

if u're a patient birder or wildlife guy who likes to setup his equipment slowly in 1 spot...a backpack like the rover AW II can absorb the weight better & make u feel more comfy!
    if u're a paparazzi kind of photog...a bag like the stealth reporter would be nice

Thanks for the information.

I have do wedding, portrait to some abstract.
    I have also venture a bit into dance shoot recently.

Okay but i find that shoulder bag are quite hassle at sometime when you need to move around a lot.

Blog Entries

To the Threadstarter, please post at the appropriate forum, what has this got to do with Nikon?

Thread moved

depends on how many lenses you carry. If you're bringing all at all times, a backpack would be better since it distribute the weight across both shoulders plus bag. A car would be good too to help transport the bag. I've a couple of bags, catering for one-body-one-lens setup to 2-bodies-multiple-lenses setup. I'll go for the smallest bag that would fit the usual gear that I bring.

Thanks for the useful information.

But any model to personnel recommendation for 2-bodies multiple lense?

hmm... depends on what bodies and lenses. A 300/2.8 requires a very different bag vs 50/1.8. A Lowepro Minitrekker should be good enough for most people.

Erm... I think if you shoot enough you'll get a handle on your style and needs.

I only have two selection criteria in choosing a bag, in order of priority: -

1) Weight of equipment; and
    2) Ease of access.

I don't shoot for a living so ease of access is not important. So it goes without saying that I favour backpacks for loads exceeding ~ 2kg.

A couple of missed shots to me is no big deal.

But that's me. Ultimately it depends on your needs.

A minitrekker will take about 2 bodies, a fast standard zoom, a fast telephoto zoom, a standard prime and a flash.
    Last edited by kongping; 1st November 2006 at 11:57 AM.

Member/Tangshooter

Since u shoot wedding oso..a shoulder bag will look more appropriate..i never seen any wedding photog carrying a back pack..

My recommendations:
    Mini Trekker AW (backpack)
    Stealth Reporter D300 (shoulder bag)
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

mini-trekker, compurover would be good...or the SR 400AW
    eat. drink. shoot

True enuff that i have not seen anyone doing wedding carrying backpack.

I have one very old one which is enuff for only a body.
    That why i m looking a bag that carry 2 bodies.

i think i will go for the minitrekker. i think it would be appropriate for me to do outdoor shoot and then use my old one for AD...

Account Suspended

Crumpler Karachi Outpost sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ah!

Both! ah
    Originally I had a small shoulder bag, but couldnt fit much, only body + 1-2 lens.
    So I bought a backpack to carry more of my gear, but found it troublesome everytime I wanted to change lens or get something out: have to take the bag off to take things out. One time I forgot to zip up the backpack and my body and lens fell out, luckily only the filter was shattered upon hitting the concrete floor. I think for me, the backpack is really good for travelling, for bringing my gear with me.
    Recently I bought a shoulderbag which can hold a lot of gear also, it should be easier for when I'm out shooting, rather than having to take the bag off.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

yah, I agree with Adam, get both! And pretty soon you will end up like me, with a nice collection of camera bags. Seriously speaking, there will be occasions where one kind of bag would be better than the other. You can't really shoot weddings with a backpack, 'cos you need quick and fast access to your lenses and other equipment. Hiking with a shoulder bag is a pain in the arse, you will soon be wanting a comfy backpack. Then there are those occasions will you want to travel light, warranting a small belt pouch or something similiar, and then there are times when you want to bring along the kitchen sink.

Thanks guys....

As i have a shoulder bag, although kind of old, so i will get the backpack 1st. Then i will get another new shoulder bag maybe next year.

Hmm ... any suggestions from Tamrac?