Thread: Anyone done a travel insurance claim before?

Default Anyone done a travel insurance claim before?

Hi all,

Need some help/advise. While on a recent trip, I lost a pair of sunnies (it got blown by strong winds overboard). I had some travel insurance and want to try and make a claim. Problem is:

1. I no longer have the receipt of the sunglasses
    2. I don't know the model number, only that the brand was Calvin Klein and that it was a bendable, titanium framed, rimless model
    3. It was less than a year old, but no receipt, so how to process the claim?

I have a letter from the tour operator I was with that stated that I had lost the sunnies overboard etc, but how do I make a claim for the sunglasses when I don't know the model number and can't find it (yes, tried googling it and looked through hundreds of specs, but didn't find it). The shop I bought from is in KL also and I don't have the contact also... can anyone who's done a claim before help me out with suggestions?

Default Re: Anyone done a travel insurance claim before?

i thought lost items need police report from that country to be able to file a claim?
    sigh.

Usually, have to make a police report for any lost or stolen item in that respective country in order to make a claim. I think it is more advisable to ask ur agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Hi all,

Need some help/advise. While on a recent trip, I lost a pair of sunnies (it got blown by strong winds overboard). I had some travel insurance and want to try and make a claim. Problem is:

2. I don't know the model number, only that the brand was Calvin Klein and that it was a bendable, titanium framed, rimless model

I have a letter from the tour operator I was with that stated that I had lost the sunnies overboard etc, but how do I make a claim for the sunglasses when I don't know the model number and can't find it (yes, tried googling it and looked through hundreds of specs, but didn't find it). The shop I bought from is in KL also and I don't have the contact also... can anyone who's done a claim before help me out with suggestions?

Did you buy it with credit card? If so, ur statement or receipts should at least have some details on the items lor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Hi all,

In your case it was negligence (did you use any precaution to prevent the sunnies from being blown away?), so it is very unlikely you can make any claims...

Don't need a police report as it wasn't lost due to theft, but more to an act of nature or God, which the policy coveres. Just needed a letter from the tour operator verifying that it was indeed lost in the manner I described. It wasn't negligence either, not like I put the glasses against the side of the boat or something... this was blown off my head by a strong gust of wind! Anyway, try lor.. after all, premium already paid, may as well see if I can get a claim

Quite frustrating as I looked at credit card records all the way back to 2004, but still couldn't find it... sheesh... maybe tomorrow I'll look again, slowly...