Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Taking photos for deli Menu

  1. #1

    Default Taking photos for deli Menu

    Hi all,

    I've been asked to help out a friend to take some photos of food for his deli menu. Need some advice on what I need to have, need to do, etc. I own a Canon 350D with kit lens, a 28-105 lens and an external flash on loan from my bro-in-law. I'm kinda new in photography, so appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

    paul

  2. #2

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    i guess macros are the way to go, try a few new angles for close ups... =)

    in my opinion, the kit lens should be good enough...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Thanks pal! By the way, should I use flash? If yes, how should i do it?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    i think food usually appears SOFT. i think i think. i saw pictures on food photography and mostly are soft. and i read a little on food photography, closed up attracts people to look at the pictures.

    flash? bounced it!

  5. #5
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    I prefer to use the 50mm f/1.8 for these kinda shots.
    Given a choice, I would mount it on a tripod and shoot using ambient light.
    If flash is required, use bounce or use a diffuser.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus View Post
    I prefer to use the 50mm f/1.8 for these kinda shots.
    Given a choice, I would mount it on a tripod and shoot using ambient light.
    If flash is required, use bounce or use a diffuser.
    yeah, doing outside your window is the best when the sunlight is the strongest!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    How about using a light tent....

  8. #8

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Go to your local library or book store and get a book on food photography read up.

    Your kit lens cannot make it. Better buy, borrow or loan a prime macro lens.

    Get a reflector, 1-2 lights and tracing paper.

    You should get someone who can style your food.

    Have fun

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    do a search... tis has been repeated over many times...

    anyway, if u wan professional results, i guess u won't get it, cos 1 flash isn't gonna help much but probably add that 'artistic' shot since might even over color or have underexposure, u won't really get a well even lighting.

    then your lens might not be able to deliver...

    then since u never shoot before... u can take 100 test shots and not satisfied by 1...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    Go to your local library or book store and get a book on food photography read up.

    Your kit lens cannot make it. Better buy, borrow or loan a prime macro lens.

    Get a reflector, 1-2 lights and tracing paper.

    You should get someone who can style your food.

    Have fun
    I beg to differ. The kit lens will do it fine.

    Its not really the equipment, more the person using it. Buying or borrowing a lens may help if you know what your going to do with it, otherwise whats the point?

    The kit lens will do the job well.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    ya it might be tougher but its still possible.

    good luck with your shoooot!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    I beg to differ. The kit lens will do it fine.

    Its not really the equipment, more the person using it. Buying or borrowing a lens may help if you know what your going to do with it, otherwise whats the point?

    The kit lens will do the job well.
    I agree with you that for most people starting out, getting a better lens may not be more of a help and may get in the way. So the kit lens is fine for that situation.

    I also think you will agree with me that once you have more experience, you will want to find something better than the kit lens to get better control and results. I was looking at it from this perspective.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    I agree with you that for most people starting out, getting a better lens may not be more of a help and may get in the way. So the kit lens is fine for that situation.

    I also think you will agree with me that once you have more experience, you will want to find something better than the kit lens to get better control and results. I was looking at it from this perspective.
    Not to start a fight or anything, but thats the wrong perspective in my opinion for the TS.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Not to start a fight or anything, but thats the wrong perspective in my opinion for the TS.
    I also don't want a fight or anything

    But I think we are both confusing the TS at the rate we are going

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    I also don't want a fight or anything

    But I think we are both confusing the TS at the rate we are going
    Ok, shall stop then

    Ok, id say, just use natural light, use the 105 end to get in close and capture the texture (not too close though) shoot from a 45 degree angle (roughly, apparently this is how we view food usually, so its looks the most appealing) and a tripod is a must, ive never really been a fan of using flash for still life, natural light just tends to look very good.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Don't want fight fight.

    Think don't try on your own, spend $, hire the person good at it. It's business afterall.Be Professional. Bet U won't want to do silly things to your car if it breaks down & U still insist to try try.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    use a light tent, it helps...take note of the food u are taking...no need to ensure they are really cooked

  18. #18

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    WOW! Great tips guys! I think i'll need to digest these slowly and work on them. I'll try to post the pics once they're done. By the way, pardon my ignorance but, what's a light tent?

    paul

  19. #19

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by elfvin View Post
    ya it might be tougher but its still possible.

    good luck with your shoooot!
    Thanks elfvin!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Taking photos for deli Menu

    natural light is good.saves you the trouble for using a flash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •