Thread: Recommend a Notebook?

Default Recommend a Notebook?

Okay, I'm in the process of looking for a new laptop to serve as my only computer as my current one is getting cranky.

Basically, I have a budget of about S$3k stretching to S$4k if necessary. Among the features I am looking for are a 15" screen, 20Gb HDD, at least DVD/CD-RW drive (DVD burner better but I suspect those are all out of my price range).

Any one have any recommendations? I suspect it's coming down to a Dell or a Toshiba... comments either way?

The Acer 600 series is good. Using it for quite a while now, think its good value for $$... Anyway a laptop doesnt have to be too good... You have to change it in 2 years in any case...

Default get a mac...

two flavours..
    powerbook

or ibook

my two cents..

argent2

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look.

I suppose that's the problem I'm facing now that my current laptop is approaching 2 years old. The problem is that my notebook is my only computer for the forseeable future, and I need it to be fairly quick about its feet - Photoshop in particular, hence the screen real estate, but at the same time it needs to be able to archive CDs.

Default Re: get a mac...

Originally posted by argent2
    two flavours..
    powerbook

or ibook
    I'd love a Powerbook, I really would, but the price doesn't quite fit within my budget neither at the moment nor for the foreseeable future. (And no, 12.1" doesn't really take my fancy, although I could live with less than 15".)

And then there's this worry that I'm paying more for less - I am fairly convinced already that my PIII 900 outpaces mid-generation G4 processors in basic, common (i.e. non-3D) Photoshop operations.

Unless someone here got lobang to get me a Powerbook for maybe 4.5k, without a serious loss to an equivalent PC Notebook in terms of video, etc. I think for 4.5k I can get a Dell with 400MHz FSB, DDR RAM, 64Mb video cards, and a better processor. It will look like crap and weight a tonne, but...

BTW, anyone know if Dell's put USB-2 ports into their Inspiron 8200s yet?

(Incidentally, that Toshiba 1950 is *sweet* but also costs in the region of S$6k...)

My problem with the iBook is the lack of a PCMCIA cardslot, otherwise the combi-drive model looks good. But then again, the worry is about seriously inferior processor tech to current PCs in similar price brackets.

Mind you I'm not a computer person so if someone would care to put me right with the facts...

Default Re: Recommend a Notebook?

Originally posted by Jed
    Okay, I'm in the process of looking for a new laptop to serve as my only computer as my current one is getting cranky.

Basically, I have a budget of about S$3k stretching to S$4k if necessary. Among the features I am looking for are a 15" screen, 20Gb HDD, at least DVD/CD-RW drive (DVD burner better but I suspect those are all out of my price range).

Any one have any recommendations? I suspect it's coming down to a Dell or a Toshiba... comments either way?
    $3k is just nice for a nice, sleek Toshiba Portege 2000. $4k will get you the Toshiba Portege TabletPC (3500 I think). Personally I don't really like desktop replacements as they are big and bulky.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: Recommend a Notebook?

Originally posted by ckiang

$3k is just nice for a nice, sleek Toshiba Portege 2000. $4k will get you the Toshiba Portege TabletPC (3500 I think). Personally I don't really like desktop replacements as they are big and bulky.

Regards
    CK
    Sony Vaio? they have firewire and lots of user-interface stuff... good for non-techie...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Jed 16" toshiba for $4770 comes with 2 speakers, wireless lan card and Xp home.

Default Re: Re: Re: Recommend a Notebook?

Originally posted by denizenx

Sony Vaio? they have firewire and lots of user-interface stuff... good for non-techie...
    I outta touch with the Vaios. Are they as slim as the Portege 2000?

Regards
    CK

Some are, but they cost a stupid amount. They have the 1.18kg VX series, with a massive 14.1" screen...

Hmm, that Toshiba sounds good... is that the one with the burner? Price is still a bit ex though...

Ironically, I've found the Vaio GRV516G (or 550 in the US I think), which is their consumer equivalent of the GRX516. P4 2.4, 256DDR, 16" screen w/ATI32, Combo drive, etc. Price at around 3.8k (translated will probably be 3.4k in Singapore; but that's the premium I have to pay from buying here).

That seems stupidly cheap for a Sony, and at the moment only drawback I can see is max RAM of 512Mb, and no USB2. But then most laptops still don't have USB2.

Have you take a look at NEC's lineup?

I see that nobody has recommended IBM Thinkpads yet. I am using a T23 that has a 14" 1400x1050 screen, a 60GB HDD, and a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. It cost me US$1700 a year ago. I think the newer T30's, or the thicker A series (such as the A30 and A31) have 15" screens.

Especially if you travel a lot, I would suggest an IBM over a Dell or a Toshiba, because it comes with a 3-year international warranty. (If you are buying a desktop, this is no big deal because you can easily replace the broken parts yourself. However, replacing notebook components may not be that trivial nor cheap, so I place good warranty on the top of my priority list.)

Hope this helps.

Hi Jed,
    I just purchased a Fujitsu Lifebook C2210 a couple of weeks back at $3388. Ok let me elaborate you on the specs: P4-M 1.8mhz, 256mb ram (max 768mb), DVD/CD-RW, 2xPCMCIA, 4xUSB2.0, Firewire, S-video out, buiilt in modem and ethernet, 14.1" screen XGA, plus a cool blue-lited front control panel to match a Nokia 8250 (if you have one :P). Back then there was a promo so for a hundred bucks more or so I got an extra battery and 256mb ram upgrade plus free $100 taka voucher and 5 year extended Challenger warranty.

Not bad so far, apart from its hefty weight (3.3kg). Wonderful performer, made in JAPAN(yeahyeah..) and what made me chose this was the metal alloy casing (yeah I'm a sucker for things metallic). Cons of this notebook is that there is no dedicated graphics card, instead choosing to share video memory with the RAM.

Would like to point out to you that for the 15" monitors that are advertised, they are mostly still XGA monitors, which essentially means that max screen resolution on the laptop's LCD is 1024x768. Basically, what you will get on a 14.1" LCD magnified maybe a little larger on a bigger screen. It does not mean more real estate on a larger display.

Also, there are currently 2 types of pentium 4 chips in the notebooks.. those with the M chip and those without. Those without are essentially desktop processors embedded into a notebook architecture. They run hotter, drain more battery and are mostly faster in speeds (2mhz, 2.4mhz vs 1.6mhz,1.8mhz). The Mobile M chips were designed for notebooks hence the reverse.

I had the option of getting a 2.4mhz P4 from Acer for about $500 less than what I paid, but I considered that when I used a P4-M 1.6mhz Acer sometime back it ran rather hot, I gave up on that option and chose the Fujitsu instead.

But if you are still interested, there is a 15" P4 2.4mhz Acer with CD-RW from for around $2888 (or less) called the 426LC.

Acer 426LC

Hope this helps you in making your choice.

why don't you stretch your dollar a bit and go for the G4 867mhz 15.2" wide screened PowerBook?

Originally posted by ckhaos
    I see that nobody has recommended IBM Thinkpads yet. I am using a T23 that has a 14" 1400x1050 screen, a 60GB HDD, and a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. It cost me US$1700 a year ago. I think the newer T30's, or the thicker A series (such as the A30 and A31) have 15" screens.

Especially if you travel a lot, I would suggest an IBM over a Dell or a Toshiba, because it comes with a 3-year international warranty. (If you are buying a desktop, this is no big deal because you can easily replace the broken parts yourself. However, replacing notebook components may not be that trivial nor cheap, so I place good warranty on the top of my priority list.)

Hope this helps.
    Yes warranty is extremely important...all the wonderful specs in the world won't help you if the motherboard spoilt (like my Vaio ) Sony wants $1000 to repair it!!!!! crazy man....

Looking at a T30 now... the 61A model is $2799 i think.