• Sony

9 12.33%
  • Toshiba

11 15.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laptop.. which is better ??

Default Re: Laptop.. which is better ??

which is the best notebook for photo editing?

Considered MacBook or MacBook Pro?

It will be a heavenly combination of MBP + Aperture + Photoshop CS 3 (As soon as its out)!

jus read from Digital Life ...

2000 BUT can discount 200 if your recent exam got 'A'...

intel core2 t5600, win pro, etc...

its not bad...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Woo you sure? Which notebook model?

Quote Originally Posted by Slivester View Post
    Woo you sure? Which notebook model?
    Lenovo C200..

Ah then forget it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    Lenovo, but not the Lenovo notebook, but the IBM thinkpad. I have been using the T and X series....build like a tank....actually waited for it to spoil(So I abuse it, like never off it for months) to get new one. But it refuse to die. So end up having a few thinkpad at home now

Used dell, Acer, HP, NEC all quite crappy!!! Managed Dell supply chain before...don't buy from them during month end. Their production line is like mad house and QC is like err....
    Yup, IBM/Lenovo notebook is my choice too , had used 2 Fujitsus and 2 Dells (Latitude series) before and now using IBM T42 and T43, they are very good if you are using it for long hours at a time, thinking of buying another T43.

Anyone know which shop in SLS selling cheap brand new ones? can save me trouble of going shop to shop. HWZ sells brand new T43 at $1,900 not sure if SLS sells any cheaper but I think better buy from shop.

Help with info on price and shop in SLS or Funan is appreciated, thanks in advance.

../azul123
    Last edited by azul123; 21st November 2006 at 08:55 AM.

I am currently using a Dell laptop which is the el-cheapo Inspiron series from way back during the Centrino 1.6Ghz era. 1and a half years ago? Anyway, it has survived knocks and falls, 2m without any padding while still switched on and it still ran flawlessly! That one got me impressed with Dell, who says its quality sucks?

Anyway, moving on, I am currently, as in now, using a Fujitsu Tablet PC 'cause me and my friend exchanged our lappys for a while. It's specifications are exactly like mine other than the 14in screen and the 1.7Ghz CPU (slight difference).

You never experience the difference till you held on to others laptops and I realised that her Fujitsu one heats up very easily! Within 30mins of usage in Photoshop and it heats up till damn hot! My Dell never reaches that level of heat.

Yepps, as for the reliability of the Fujitsu, I have not tested it yet, kekeke, but here I am coming to warn you about heat issues.

I am also a regular sales person for Apple and NEC at IT Shows, interested to get these 2 brands, PM me k. I got best price hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    I am currently using a Dell laptop which is the el-cheapo Inspiron series from way back during the Centrino 1.6Ghz era. 1and a half years ago? Anyway, it has survived knocks and falls, 2m without any padding while still switched on and it still ran flawlessly! That one got me impressed with Dell, who says its quality sucks?

Anyway, moving on, I am currently, as in now, using a Fujitsu Tablet PC 'cause me and my friend exchanged our lappys for a while. It's specifications are exactly like mine other than the 14in screen and the 1.7Ghz CPU (slight difference).

You never experience the difference till you held on to others laptops and I realised that her Fujitsu one heats up very easily! Within 30mins of usage in Photoshop and it heats up till damn hot! My Dell never reaches that level of heat.

Yepps, as for the reliability of the Fujitsu, I have not tested it yet, kekeke, but here I am coming to warn you about heat issues.

I am also a regular sales person for Apple and NEC at IT Shows, interested to get these 2 brands, PM me k. I got best price hahahaha.
    Fujitsu heats up so fast, one of the reason is it's body construction. It is thin. It is so thin that it does not have adequate cooling system i.e. not enough ventilation. that is why the bigger the casing, is catered for higher performance system as it generates more heat.
    the smaller the laptop body, the more heat u experience if the specs is high, and the lesser heat u experience for a bigger body with same specs. but sometimes it sometimes comes to how good the cooling system of the laptop will be.

1st of all, need to ask, what kind of CAD are you running? Engineering CAD as in SolidEdge, UGS NX, PRO-E, SolidWorks or those animation CAD like maya lightwave and etc..... I'm working for a CAD consulting company and we have done quite a lot of tests on our own systems ranging from P4 2.8 to lappy running on centrino and etc. If you are getting a lappy for CAD, there are 3 important thing which you can't budget, processor, ram and gfx. Our demo HP lappy is already running on centrino 2.0ghz, 1GB ram, Ati Firegl but still we are finding it slow esp if you are doing large assemblies. If you are using the CAD to model, draft and small assembly, any above 1.8ghz centrino, with 768MB of ram and consumer gfx like X300 wif min 128MB ram will be sufficient. I even have customers running CAD on system with 512MB ram and intel accelerated graphics. As for which brand, best is to go for either dell or HP as most CAD have these two brand as their preferred partners and normally lappy design for CAD are big and bulky unless you are getting HP and also aftersale support is very important.

Imagine you forgot to install the gfx driver and while running the CAD and windows you see lines running across the screen, call up tech support and they tried to bull **** you asking you to go into bios mode see if the same thing happens and let it stay in bios mode for 4 hours and if back in the OS environment, it happens again do the same procedures over again..... In the end, we ended up being the tech support ourselves.

For Dell, I had a really wonderful service from them, needed to fly oversea on sunday, call them up on wednesday morning and order a notebook, the lady told me that they would need 7 days in advance to proceed and deliver the order and i told her if they can't deliver latest by saturday mornning give me a call and i would call off the whole deal so that i can go SLS and grab one notebook and fly on sunday. On friday evening, the same lady call and ask me if its possible for them to deliver my notebook to me on saturday afternoon instead of morning and of coz i was more then glad to have it delivered to my house then i go down to SLS to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpose View Post
    1st of all, need to ask, what kind of CAD are you running? Engineering CAD as in SolidEdge, UGS NX, PRO-E, SolidWorks or those animation CAD like maya lightwave and etc..... I'm working for a CAD consulting company and we have done quite a lot of tests on our own systems ranging from P4 2.8 to lappy running on centrino and etc. If you are getting a lappy for CAD, there are 3 important thing which you can't budget, processor, ram and gfx. Our demo HP lappy is already running on centrino 2.0ghz, 1GB ram, Ati Firegl but still we are finding it slow esp if you are doing large assemblies. If you are using the CAD to model, draft and small assembly, any above 1.8ghz centrino, with 768MB of ram and consumer gfx like X300 wif min 128MB ram will be sufficient. I even have customers running CAD on system with 512MB ram and intel accelerated graphics. As for which brand, best is to go for either dell or HP as most CAD have these two brand as their preferred partners and normally lappy design for CAD are big and bulky unless you are getting HP and also aftersale support is very important.

Imagine you forgot to install the gfx driver and while running the CAD and windows you see lines running across the screen, call up tech support and they tried to bull **** you asking you to go into bios mode see if the same thing happens and let it stay in bios mode for 4 hours and if back in the OS environment, it happens again do the same procedures over again..... In the end, we ended up being the tech support ourselves.
    thanks for the info...

working with HyperMILL and Cimatron E (not sure if u know..)... more to 3D type..

might be adding NX3 ( not confirm )

do u reckon, intel accelerated graphics, is good enough ??

have more or less decide on Lenovo or Dell.. but waiting for SITEX to come..
    Last edited by k3nn3th03; 21st November 2006 at 11:15 AM.

y get cimatron when u can get Solidedge plus Nx cam express? You can get the best of two world, 3D modelling plus cam machining. NX cam express is actually NX CAM 4 with new wizard interfaces. Using the wizard, you can speed up the process of your machine programming and if you are a season NX cam user, you can still use back your old workflow. Best of all, the model you created using solidedge will have interoperatabilty with NX cam express as they are from the same parent company UGS. If you need more info maybe you can pm me.......not convient to talk here as this is no longer kopitiam business but rather pure business.
    Last edited by Xpose; 21st November 2006 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpose View Post
    y get cimatron when u can get Solidedge plus Nx cam express?
    ??

that a 'deep' questions.. haha..

my boss got it... i more to the other one.. learning cimatron e now..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123