Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: What a turn-off!

Default Re: What a turn-off!

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Have you tried seeking medical treatment oversea without any form of subsidies?? Your example given was for a Malaysian trying to seek treatment in Singapore, not a Singaporean. If you are talking about your own experiences, then which class ward are you talking about?? Class A, B1, B2 or C?? I don't think a foreigner is allowed to use Class C ward, as it is the most heavily subsidised, so you really have to see was it a fair comparison you were making.
    Hello kelcom:

My words did not put my points forward clearly. Here I will try again.

Comparing apple to apple. Both my friend and I received the same medical procedures and used the same drugs for cancer treatment. I, Singaporean, need to pay SGD$50k in a Singapore Hospital and a Malaysian pays $20k Ringgit in a Malaysia private hospital.

Now, my question is: why is there such a stark difference in the medical cost between Singapore and JB?

As for what class of ward is not important in this case, because for cancer treatment, the patient is not required to be warded. Just need a bed, receive the treatment and we go home. Sometimes, we are allocated to two a room, on other time it could be a four or six bedder.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 1st November 2006 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Why I'm comparing the CPF to Aussie income tax system.
    Yes, you can utilize OA to buy HDB... but what if you are staying with your parents and you don't need to buy a HDB... What can't you really do with it? Buy funds?
    It's as good as invisible like our COE (we don't really get a cert with it... )
    In terms of immediate use like healthcare for co-payment, this money can be better utilized.
    But if you really need to get a lodging in SG, I would say that the CPF is a very good system to aid the citizens, and housing loan interests are very low as compared to Australia or the States. (about 6.7% or more).

Health insurance in the States is heavily subsidized by employers. These insurances typically cover the rest of the (immediate) family as well. If only our employers does the same.
    I was working in a major GLC (Govt linked company) as an engineer 4 years ago. The only insurance the company provides is accidental / incidental within the company's premises... If you have any ailment (heart attack, stroke or car accident juz outside the compound... etc) outside the premises, it's your business and the company doesn't cover you. Whereas for my other jobs in several MNCs, their insurances are more comprehensive and some cover dependants as well. I was very well covered when I was working in the States until recently. A normal GP visit would cost about S$100+, but it's free with employer's insurances. To add on... dole is more of a problem in the UK and Australia rather than US...
    For min. wage... if they do not impose that ruling, their economy will be in chaos.. everyone will be tempted to "importing" and hiring Mexicans, Chinese Nationals... etc. It would be like Singapore whereby cheap employers hires cheap labour as much as they can and term them "foreign talent" when you have the human resources locally.

I was told by a HR colleague (somewhere last year), an private employer paying EP / WP for a FT is cheaper than a household paying WP for a domestic helper (maid). I'm paying $280 for WP for my domestic helper at this moment. Can someone clarify if the WP / EP fees for private employers are lower?

As for MA going to MA of nominees, that's the case for me for both of my deceased parents.
    Please let me know if you have a way of retrieving it as cash. (I really need some advice on this)

I agree that there's no perfect system. There's always equal and opposite to everything. Just have to strike an equal balance.
    And to be honest, I'm not happy with the 120k min sum... Ever thought about those low income holders? They may not be able to hit this figure. By the time they retire, they virtually got nothing.
    Hmm, something like 80-90% of Singaporeans own a home... so at some stage of your life you would be using that sum of money in your CPF OA to help you pay for a flat. And even if you don't use, once you reach 55, if the money in your OA + SA is greater than the minimum sum, you can withdraw it anyway, so you will be able to see your money someday.

It's true that most health insurance are heavily subsidised by employers, but I guess the main concern are for people who fall through the cracks, who are unemployed, destitute, etc. I agree with you that most MNCs have a whole lotta better benefits than local firms, ranging from company pension plans to comprehensive medical coverage. But then again, this is up to the company to lure individual workers, and it's not up to the government to just rule that all firms provide the same sort of benefits.

I'm not too sure why you think that the dole is less of a problem in the US; in terms of financing crisis, what I've read in the professional literature on social security system seems to say that the US system is very much overdued for a rehaul.

The US labour market is extremly large and liquid; think of each state as an individual country much like European states, except that the US is much more integrated than the EU, where an American would think nothing of relocating from Wyoming to go work in Washington. Min wage laws are passed by state legislature in the US, so from one state to another, the min. wage can be different, so this encourage alot of labour market flows from one state to another, as such, the unemployment caused as a result from min wage is less obvious.

Foreign Workers (FW), and Foreign Domestic Workers (FDW), are seen as two different categories of workers by the Ministry of Manpower. You wouldn't want to be hiring a Bangladeshi worker to help you hang your clothes or ask your Filipino maid to go running around construction sites right? Thus there are different fee structures for different categories of non-local workers. Even for foreign workers, the levy is different depending on the skill level of the worker as well as the industry where the worker is supposed to work in. For industries where the government deems that locals would be able to help meet some of the demand, the levy would be higher to moderate the intake of foreign workers in that particular industry. Your friend is thus correct in telling you that the levy of some foreign workers might be higher than that of what you are paying for the maid, but he didn't tell you the whole story.

With regards to to the MA, are you saying that the MA of your parents have being transferred into your own MA? From what I understand, once a CPF member is deceased, all the monies in the accounts are paid out via cheque to the nominated beneficiary; I've haven't yet heard of a case where it's transferred into a CPF account. If you want, you can PM me regarding this.

Don't be only worried about the low wage workers; they are not the only ones who can't meet the minimum sum when they retire. A lot of middle class Singaporeans can't meet the min. sum too... just look at all the ads the banks have been running regarding retirement financial planning. They would really need to depend on familial support, or else downgrade during their retirement.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hello Sehsuan:

Thanks for sharing these information, I appreciate it.
    The thing I like about this forum is we can have views from people from all walks of life. It is great to have good people sharing with us their expertise.

The Hospital Insurance looks very attractive. What is the premium I have to pay to get that level of coverage?
    It's OK. I'm just clarifying some points that some people who aren't in the trade are rebutting aimlessly, such as dDarkroom.

If you'd like to have more info, add me via MSN at sehsuan@hotmail.com, or give me a ring at 9640-8500. I wouldn't want to come across as advertising online - which is the last thing I'd like to do.

As for the premium, it depends on what level of cover you want, and your current age. Meeting up in person may be a lot easier to do.

TAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111hohorhrohror
    Nothing wrong with tax, only when you see it wasted.

edit: removed comparison
    Last edited by adamadam; 2nd November 2006 at 04:08 PM.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by justarius View Post
    Hmm, something like 80-90% of Singaporeans own a home... so at some stage of your life you would be using that sum of money in your CPF OA to help you pay for a flat. And even if you don't use, once you reach 55, if the money in your OA + SA is greater than the minimum sum, you can withdraw it anyway, so you will be able to see your money someday.

It's true that most health insurance are heavily subsidised by employers, but I guess the main concern are for people who fall through the cracks, who are unemployed, destitute, etc. I agree with you that most MNCs have a whole lotta better benefits than local firms, ranging from company pension plans to comprehensive medical coverage. But then again, this is up to the company to lure individual workers, and it's not up to the government to just rule that all firms provide the same sort of benefits.

I'm not too sure why you think that the dole is less of a problem in the US; in terms of financing crisis, what I've read in the professional literature on social security system seems to say that the US system is very much overdued for a rehaul.

The US labour market is extremly large and liquid; think of each state as an individual country much like European states, except that the US is much more integrated than the EU, where an American would think nothing of relocating from Wyoming to go work in Washington. Min wage laws are passed by state legislature in the US, so from one state to another, the min. wage can be different, so this encourage alot of labour market flows from one state to another, as such, the unemployment caused as a result from min wage is less obvious.

Foreign Workers (FW), and Foreign Domestic Workers (FDW), are seen as two different categories of workers by the Ministry of Manpower. You wouldn't want to be hiring a Bangladeshi worker to help you hang your clothes or ask your Filipino maid to go running around construction sites right? Thus there are different fee structures for different categories of non-local workers. Even for foreign workers, the levy is different depending on the skill level of the worker as well as the industry where the worker is supposed to work in. For industries where the government deems that locals would be able to help meet some of the demand, the levy would be higher to moderate the intake of foreign workers in that particular industry. Your friend is thus correct in telling you that the levy of some foreign workers might be higher than that of what you are paying for the maid, but he didn't tell you the whole story.

With regards to to the MA, are you saying that the MA of your parents have being transferred into your own MA? From what I understand, once a CPF member is deceased, all the monies in the accounts are paid out via cheque to the nominated beneficiary; I've haven't yet heard of a case where it's transferred into a CPF account. If you want, you can PM me regarding this.

Don't be only worried about the low wage workers; they are not the only ones who can't meet the minimum sum when they retire. A lot of middle class Singaporeans can't meet the min. sum too... just look at all the ads the banks have been running regarding retirement financial planning. They would really need to depend on familial support, or else downgrade during their retirement.
    Hi Justarius,

Just PMed you with regards to the MA.
    Let me know the form no. and procedure for getting it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    It's OK. I'm just clarifying some points that some people who aren't in the trade are rebutting aimlessly, such as dDarkroom.

If you'd like to have more info, add me via MSN at sehsuan@hotmail.com, or give me a ring at 9640-8500. I wouldn't want to come across as advertising online - which is the last thing I'd like to do.

As for the premium, it depends on what level of cover you want, and your current age. Meeting up in person may be a lot easier to do.
    thank you for your well wishes. me rebutting aimlessly abt insurance - since when huh.
    meet up ah. then kena sign on the dotted line.
    but then meet up to shoot the next NDP ok lah.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    That can be easily interpreted as an insult. Rather than pointing out which part of my views you don't agree with, you go around insulting people. This topic seem to be a thorn in your flesh. You may say whatever you like about me, I have stated my views, and thats the end of this topic for me. Good luck to you.
    you should'nt have comment about others who want the garment to do more.
    depend on charitable organisation - what's the logic. the public pay tax and give to charitable organisation to help the needy - ain't this a double taxation on the public, while the garment happily announced bonus for their civil servants.

you, me assumed, have never understand the deprived and destitude. me suggest you go to calcutta and volunteer a year at the home of the destitute then come back to talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason View Post
    I don't get what the problem is.

Do you expect prices to remain the same forever? Prices increasing too fast for your linking? Or...?
    I support you... nothing is free. 40 yrs ago, a bowl of noodle costed 30cents! It is $2.50 now. Pineapple used to be 10cents/pcs now it is at least $1.50!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    In Australia, medical is free

In sg, you pay

In China, you no money, hospital will boot you out even before they see you.

Nothing is free... you pay through your tax. Actually you pay first before you see a doctor.. keep the $$$$$$ and earn interest... smart Aust Govt...

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hello kelcom:

My words did not put my points forward clearly. Here I will try again.

Comparing apple to apple. Both my friend and I received the same medical procedures and used the same drugs for cancer treatment. I, Singaporean, need to pay SGD$50k in a Singapore Hospital and a Malaysian pays $20k Ringgit in a Malaysia private hospital.

Now, my question is: why is there such a stark difference in the medical cost between Singapore and JB?

As for what class of ward is not important in this case, because for cancer treatment, the patient is not required to be warded. Just need a bed, receive the treatment and we go home. Sometimes, we are allocated to two a room, on other time it could be a four or six bedder.
    The solution is simple. stay in JB and you pay less! You have a choice. If you want to stay in Singapore hosp... then you must prepare to pay more... ! Nobody is stopping you. You can make JB your second home... they encourage you to stay there! Just like you cna fly a budget airline or take SIA, you will be at the destination you want! But if you want to go to another place.. not serve by budget airline, you got to take SIA.... this time you have no choice.. than if you do not need to go.. don't go! You have a choice

Smile Re: What a turn-off!

wow, with passport-free zone in the talk, commuting betw the two countries will be a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    The solution is simple. stay in JB and you pay less! You have a choice. If you want to stay in Singapore hosp... then you must prepare to pay more... ! Nobody is stopping you. You can make JB your second home... they encourage you to stay there! Just like you cna fly a budget airline or take SIA, you will be at the destination you want! But if you want to go to another place.. not serve by budget airline, you got to take SIA.... this time you have no choice.. than if you do not need to go.. don't go! You have a choice

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678