Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 151

Thread: What a turn-off!

  1. #81

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Hello to all:

    I have a family member who passed away not so long ago due to terminal illness. I still feel the pain when typing this post and I must tell you I am very disappointed with our medical system. No doubt Singapore has very high medical standard, but it outright disgusting for Mah BT to say Singaporeans are heavily subsidized. When you pay at a subsidized rate, please expect to get sub-standard treatment.

    You ever have this feeling of queuing to get to haven? In a Restructured Hospital (RH), it is all about queuing. Queue for a doctor, queue for a bed, queue for the equipment. We have to queue for a week to get a Mask done (for radiotherapy) and wait for two months to get a radiotherapy slot. Went to Glenn Angeles, mask done on that day and can start the radiotherapy after two days. Medical charges are about the same for both hospitals, except that you get subsided rate at the Restructured hospital plus the “forever queuing”

    Talked to the Oncologist at the RH, she charged me $80. She is so rude, so impatient, so insensitive and so unsympathetic. She says: “Prepare for the worse, if undergoes Chemotherapy you can still have her for 6 months. Another option is hospices.”
    I got so mad, does my loved one deserve to be at a hospice? To me hospices are only for patients without family or friends.
    Talked to another Oncologist at Mount E for second opinion. He charged me $80 as well. He first comforted my family, gave us his analysis of the situation. Then he offered us a few options and explained in detail the pros and cons of each option. He gave us some statistic and told us some miracle cases. We walked out his room with lifted spirit, we are not asking for a miracle, but it is in this kind of spirit that will carry us through.
    Do you see why you are paying at a subsidized rate? And what kind of service you are getting?

    When she showed symptom, we rush her to the RH A&E. We used our own car, thinking that we can free up the emergency ambulance. Was told to wait at the holding area, again queuing to take temperature and blood pressure. I asked why we have to wait, and the answer is we did not come in an ambulance. If it is very critical we should call for the ambulance.

    Got so much to type, but too sad to carry on….
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 30th October 2006 at 10:09 PM.

  2. #82

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Never under-estimate the inefficiency of our current medical structure. Mind boggling sometimes. Your appointment with a specialist in a certain hospital would have to be 2-3 hours late to be on time. If you know what I am saying?

  3. #83

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by nooby0 View Post
    Never under-estimate the inefficiency of our current medical structure. Mind boggling sometimes. Your appointment with a specialist in a certain hospital would have to be 2-3 hours late to be on time. If you know what I am saying?
    Hello:

    One good thing about RH is that you do not need to queue very long to make payment.

  4. #84
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hello:

    One good thing about RH is that you do not need to queue very long to make payment.
    ouch....



    i wish we can all stay in good health.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  5. #85

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hello:

    One good thing about RH is that you do not need to queue very long to make payment.
    Errr.. juz to clarify... RH is Restructured Hospital... not Raffles Hospital or Relative Humidity...

  6. #86

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    ouch....



    i wish we can all stay in good health.
    Hello Chessecake:

    That is my wish for you and everyone too. Remenber too much Chessecake no good leh.

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hello to all:

    I have a family member who passed away not so long ago due to terminal illness. I still feel the pain when typing this post and I must tell you I am very disappointed with our medical system. No doubt Singapore has very high medical standard, but it outright disgusting for Mah BT to say Singaporeans are heavily subsidized. When you pay at a subsidized rate, please expect to get sub-standard treatment.

    You ever have this feeling of queuing to get to haven? In a Restructured Hospital (RH), it is all about queuing. Queue for a doctor, queue for a bed, queue for the equipment. We have to queue for a week to get a Mask done (for radiotherapy) and wait for two months to get a radiotherapy slot. Went to Glenn Angeles, mask done on that day and can start the radiotherapy after two days. Medical charges are about the same for both hospitals, except that you get subsided rate at the Restructured hospital plus the “forever queuing”

    Talked to the Oncologist at the RH, she charged me $80. She is so rude, so impatient, so insensitive and so unsympathetic. She says: “Prepare for the worse, if undergoes Chemotherapy you can still have her for 6 months. Another option is hospices.”
    I got so mad, does my loved one deserve to be at a hospice? To me hospices are only for patients without family or friends.
    Talked to another Oncologist at Mount E for second opinion. He charged me $80 as well. He first comforted my family, gave us his analysis of the situation. Then he offered us a few options and explained in detail the pros and cons of each option. He gave us some statistic and told us some miracle cases. We walked out his room with lifted spirit, we are not asking for a miracle, but it is in this kind of spirit that will carry us through.
    Do you see why you are paying at a subsidized rate? And what kind of service you are getting?

    When she showed symptom, we rush her to the RH A&E. We used our own car, thinking that we can free up the emergency ambulance. Was told to wait at the holding area, again queuing to take temperature and blood pressure. I asked why we have to wait, and the answer is we did not come in an ambulance. If it is very critical we should call for the ambulance.

    Got so much to type, but too sad to carry on….
    somehow i feel for you, and i understand precisely what have happened, not that i have a loved one that have gone thru this, but i was in the midst of those stuff yet i couldn't do a thing to change it.

    Somehow i felt, even for those people who wanted for the best of all patients, after some time, all those hopes and enthusiam will die off by fellow colleagues or seniors, cos i had my initial training at pte hosp, but had my last year at RH, just 1 day i already felt that all i have learnt from PH was all down the drain. In the past, i yearn to go attachment, go to work early, enjoy everyday, after going to RH, i felt its really demoralising going to wards...

    anyway not in this line now... since never entered anyway...

    but normally i ask people who need to go for any treatment to go Mt A instead, price is reasonable, and you get better service. I'll never recommend anyone going to RH. Its horrible if u hear rumours, and its frightening if you see 1. Dun ask...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #88

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Errr.. juz to clarify... RH is Restructured Hospital... not Raffles Hospital or Relative Humidity...
    Yup, RH is Restructured Hospital.

    There is just too many protocol in Restructured hospital. You can wait and wait and wait for don't know what reason.

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    somehow i feel for you, and i understand precisely what have happened, not that i have a loved one that have gone thru this, but i was in the midst of those stuff yet i couldn't do a thing to change it.

    Somehow i felt, even for those people who wanted for the best of all patients, after some time, all those hopes and enthusiam will die off by fellow colleagues or seniors, cos i had my initial training at pte hosp, but had my last year at RH, just 1 day i already felt that all i have learnt from PH was all down the drain. In the past, i yearn to go attachment, go to work early, enjoy everyday, after going to RH, i felt its really demoralising going to wards...

    anyway not in this line now... since never entered anyway...

    but normally i ask people who need to go for any treatment to go Mt A instead, price is reasonable, and you get better service. I'll never recommend anyone going to RH. Its horrible if u hear rumours, and its frightening if you see 1. Dun ask...

    U mean you might have been Dr. DCA?
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  10. #90
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hello Chessecake:

    That is my wish for you and everyone too. Remenber too much Chessecake no good leh.


    keep fit and share the love!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  11. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    U mean you might have been Dr. DCA?
    nope... kinda impossible...

    i am the forever patient there... haha... imagine i do any test have to ask another to confirm...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  12. #92

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hello to all:

    I have a family member who passed away not so long ago due to terminal illness. I still feel the pain when typing this post and I must tell you I am very disappointed with our medical system. No doubt Singapore has very high medical standard, but it outright disgusting for Mah BT to say Singaporeans are heavily subsidized. When you pay at a subsidized rate, please expect to get sub-standard treatment.

    You ever have this feeling of queuing to get to haven? In a Restructured Hospital (RH), it is all about queuing. Queue for a doctor, queue for a bed, queue for the equipment. We have to queue for a week to get a Mask done (for radiotherapy) and wait for two months to get a radiotherapy slot. Went to Glenn Angeles, mask done on that day and can start the radiotherapy after two days. Medical charges are about the same for both hospitals, except that you get subsided rate at the Restructured hospital plus the “forever queuing”

    Talked to the Oncologist at the RH, she charged me $80. She is so rude, so impatient, so insensitive and so unsympathetic. She says: “Prepare for the worse, if undergoes Chemotherapy you can still have her for 6 months. Another option is hospices.”
    I got so mad, does my loved one deserve to be at a hospice? To me hospices are only for patients without family or friends.
    Talked to another Oncologist at Mount E for second opinion. He charged me $80 as well. He first comforted my family, gave us his analysis of the situation. Then he offered us a few options and explained in detail the pros and cons of each option. He gave us some statistic and told us some miracle cases. We walked out his room with lifted spirit, we are not asking for a miracle, but it is in this kind of spirit that will carry us through.
    Do you see why you are paying at a subsidized rate? And what kind of service you are getting?

    When she showed symptom, we rush her to the RH A&E. We used our own car, thinking that we can free up the emergency ambulance. Was told to wait at the holding area, again queuing to take temperature and blood pressure. I asked why we have to wait, and the answer is we did not come in an ambulance. If it is very critical we should call for the ambulance.

    Got so much to type, but too sad to carry on….
    I sympathize your plight... and share your sorrows. For I have lost my love ones to illnesses and have endured much anger and disappointment with our country's policies.

    It's not easy to forget the unhappiness.
    Just have to take it as an experience in life and carry on. Take it easy.

  13. #93

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    something abt the waiting games in polyclinics - try going there at 3.30pm you will get express services - super fast lane from registration to collecting medication, all under 45 mins.

    i had tried it a few times.

  14. #94

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    somehow i feel for you, and i understand precisely what have happened, not that i have a loved one that have gone thru this, but i was in the midst of those stuff yet i couldn't do a thing to change it.

    Somehow i felt, even for those people who wanted for the best of all patients, after some time, all those hopes and enthusiam will die off by fellow colleagues or seniors, cos i had my initial training at pte hosp, but had my last year at RH, just 1 day i already felt that all i have learnt from PH was all down the drain. In the past, i yearn to go attachment, go to work early, enjoy everyday, after going to RH, i felt its really demoralising going to wards...

    anyway not in this line now... since never entered anyway...

    but normally i ask people who need to go for any treatment to go Mt A instead, price is reasonable, and you get better service. I'll never recommend anyone going to RH. Its horrible if u hear rumours, and its frightening if you see 1. Dun ask...
    Hello Del:

    Thank for sharing my woes.
    Although the system is bad, but I must also say the ground staffs are brilliance. They are very supportive and very caring towards the sick.
    Do you believe that they are much better in term of skills when compare to some young doctors, but are paid miserably.

  15. #95

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    something abt the waiting games in polyclinics - try going there at 3.30pm you will get express services - super fast lane from registration to collecting medication, all under 45 mins.

    i had tried it a few times.
    Wah kao.. simple mah... Polyclinic closes at 4:30...
    45 mins complete, mean 4:15pm can get out... Nurse, doctors, receptionists can take 15mins to pack up mah.

    People need to go home... so must chop chop and wrap up asap.... Basic human nature.
    Singapore got high medical standard one... right on time....

  16. #96

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    I sympathize your plight... and share your sorrows. For I have lost my love ones to illnesses and have endured much anger and disappointment with our country's policies.

    It's not easy to forget the unhappiness.
    Just have to take it as an experience in life and carry on. Take it easy.
    Thank you for your comforting words.
    I really hate it every time I hear that MAh and Koh say how good OUR medical system are and how the garment subsidize us. My FOOT!!

  17. #97

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Thank you for your comforting words.
    I really hate it every time I hear that MAh and Koh say how good OUR medical system are and how the garment subsidize us. My FOOT!!
    wait till you are referred to a medical social worker whose job is to protect the medical funds than to hear your request.

    I guessed they might even get promotion for safeguarding the funds.

  18. #98
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    but they will send you bills for you and/or your family to pay
    make you spend more on medical insurance
    Note that insurance companies (i.e. principals) and hospitals are different entities. Who are you talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    In Australia, medical is free
    Wah, really? Even for Singaporeans? FREE?

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    The Australian system is good. Quite good. But it is funded by high taxation. And after a while, people became lulled into thinking that health care in Australia is free. Far from it!
    I've so heard that in some countries, if a person admitted doesn't have insurance, the person will NOT be admitted at all. Only insured people can be admitted. How true this is, I don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    "Free" means "free". Means we do not have to fork out anything.
    Ditto. "Free" is FOC in most people's dictionaries.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    FREE is my fav word

    no, actually pay me $ is better
    Ortega, I have a way of doing that. PM me if you're interested.

    Quote Originally Posted by nexus0 View Post
    I love doctors who practice intercontinental medical aids. Like treating the poor. As compared to those who sits in an air-con office doing consultations charging a bomb.
    Who pays for the medical supplies for these intercontinental doctors? You?

    Quote Originally Posted by nexus0 View Post
    Singapore's A&E services in hospitals are sometimes a PITA. Agree? Slow services and mediocre attitudes.
    It's a good point there. Try to fly yourself out of Singapore if you have an accident or illness to a country of choice, see if you can survive that long enough and endure through the flight time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    ppl can tok abt medical shield and stuff.. pls it's ain't tat simple and easy
    There's a good reason why there's medical insurance being offered out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Yes, but they are heavily subsidized by the Medicare system... one which is much much better than our Medisave + Medishield combined.
    From the way I see it, our 20% contribution of CPF (on top of our income tax) is no diff from the income tax of Australia. The only benefit is that you can buy HDB with it / invest in funds.. etc..
    If people want medical fees to inflate like a space rocket, keep on going exhausting the funds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    In Australia, all these taxes are pooled and contributed back to the people by means of medicare, infrastructure building, doughs.... at least to who really needs it. In Singapore, you contribute to CPF (OA, SA) and Medisave... but at what percentage of it can you really utilize? Moreover, there's the minimum sum of 120k to leave inside CPF when you retire... Where does this money really go to? You know it's there, but you can't touch / use it...
    OA can be used for housing, which is the typical usage. SA is meant for retirement, or housing in DIRE situations only. MA is used for hospitalization. Who says you can't use it? I have ways of using it for you if you want to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Thank you for your comforting words.
    I really hate it every time I hear that MAh and Koh say how good OUR medical system are and how the garment subsidize us. My FOOT!!
    Sorry to hear of your loss of a family member, but was he or she insured for medical bills?

    Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    wait till you are referred to a medical social worker whose job is to protect the medical funds than to hear your request.

    I guessed they might even get promotion for safeguarding the funds.
    Please draw a clear line between Medifund and "medical funds". Are you talking about the same thing?

    I can't help but get an impression that some people want heavy government subsidies and the top notch service in private hospitals, but aren't willing to pay for medical services. It's like what we read in the forums so often - pay peanuts, get monkeys.
    Last edited by sehsuan; 30th October 2006 at 11:44 PM.

  19. #99

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    OA can be used for housing, which is the typical usage. SA is meant for retirement, or housing in DIRE situations only. MA is used for hospitalization. Who says you can't use it? I have ways of using it for you if you want to.
    Errr... I did mention that you can use CPF for HDBs... that's the only advantage..
    As for retirement, how much can you get back after you retire or rather would it be enough for retirement... say at the age of 62 with the 120k minimum sum set inside?

    As for Medisave, you are allowed to use a certain percentage of it, not all. What if you don't have enuf $$$ to pay the remaining.
    I guess we don't see the same light as perhaps you have not experience such painful plights / encounters.
    Last edited by Hoky; 31st October 2006 at 12:45 AM.

  20. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: What a turn-off!

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Wah, really? Even for Singaporeans? FREE?.
    Yes it is FREE. you walk in and you don't have to pay a single cent but only if you're an australian. Not sure if it applies to PR. Education is free too. Not a single cent from their citizens for studies.


    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    I've so heard that in some countries, if a person admitted doesn't have insurance, the person will NOT be admitted at all. Only insured people can be admitted. How true this is, I don't know.
    you know better than to post "I heard" statements since you always seem to have a sharp tongue. Please do tell us the source.

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Ditto. "Free" is FOC in most people's dictionaries.
    Yes it is in mine too. Free is FOC.


    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Who pays for the medical supplies for these intercontinental doctors? You?
    Ref your first statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Note that insurance companies (i.e. principals) and hospitals are different entities. Who are you talking about?
    Note that doctors and medical supplies are different entities. What are you talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    There's a good reason why there's medical insurance being offered out there.
    Does it makes things easy? I know collecting premiums from you is darn easy. But collecting pay outs seem to be the other way round.


    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    If people want medical fees to inflate like a space rocket, keep on going exhausting the funds.
    What funds?

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    OA can be used for housing, which is the typical usage. SA is meant for retirement, or housing in DIRE situations only. MA is used for hospitalization. Who says you can't use it? I have ways of using it for you if you want to.
    The problem is that there's so many accounts lumped into 1 general term called CPF. Nobody knows what goes where and in times of dire situation, nobody (less you maybe) will have the time to confirm what they are being told by the hospital staff is accurate or not.



    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Sorry to hear of your loss of a family member, but was he or she insured for medical bills?
    Why bring topic of insurance into gov't subsidy? Please ref your 1st statment again. Note that subsidy and insurance are different entities. What are you talking about? The thing with insurance cover is that it will only cover you for a short period of time with their staggered payment or for some, a lump sum payment. After the payment dries up, the medical bills will still kill you. Insurance isn't a miracle pill. It is a form of self subsidy at the mercy of the insurance companies, do note that most (if not all) medical insurance premiums are non-guaranteed, meaning they can up the premiums anytime they deem fit or drop the coverage amount, all with just a 30 day notice. Great system huh?


    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Please draw a clear line between Medifund and "medical funds". Are you talking about the same thing?

    I can't help but get an impression that some people want heavy government subsidies and the top notch service in private hospitals, but aren't willing to pay for medical services. It's like what we read in the forums so often - pay peanuts, get monkeys.
    So in order for good service we have to pay high price for it? Does it mean that if I paid less to visit a polyclinic I deserved to be called names and be treated like sh!t? Service is a personal thing. It is the culture that the organisation inculcate into their staff.
    If you will to read the long post again, both Oncologist at the RH and Mt E costs $80 but the service level is different.

    So if your point below stands..
    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    It's a good point there. Try to fly yourself out of Singapore if you have an accident or illness to a country of choice, see if you can survive that long enough and endure through the flight time.
    I don't see how anyone can wait 6 weeks for treatment to begin. The agony one has to bear for 6 weeks? Don't think any flight will take 6 weeks. The only problem is $. Catch-22, suk thumb and back to waiting 6 weeks cos commoners can't afford to fly out as and when we like.

    I sure hope that you are heavily insured for good and top notch medical services in singapore as I'm not sure you are ready to see the "heavily subisdised" medical services in RHs. Hopefully you and all of us never have to use the medical services.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •