Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What a turn-off!

Blog Entries

Default Re: What a turn-off!

i have even gone for A&E without paying at CGH

but that was after i told them that they were lucky that i did not sue them for their mistake

Quote Originally Posted by nexus0 View Post
    Please name the hospital which needs a patient to pay up first before treatment, in Singapore. Very suprised to hear that.
    I believe most E&E situations have to register and pay before see the doctor, if i am not wrong...KK hospital does that.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Hi doc. No offence but this is NOT true. I can prove it. Contact me if needed.

At a particular gov hospital, terminally ill patients have to pay up before they can collect their medication.
    Actually how does the govt. equate inability to pay? Like having no job and have to beg or rob?

I remember paying every cent out of my pocket 6 years ago (when I just started working for 6 ~ 9 months) when my mom was hospitalized. As she was suffering from the last stage of cancer, the hospital staff proposed putting her in hospice instead of trying any further treatment (as good as telling you to give up hope)...
    Why?? Because it's so bloody exp and low~mid income holders should forgo treatment.

Because of this incident, I am very willing to give up my citizenship to move on to another country when I retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    I believe most E&E situations have to register and pay before see the doctor, if i am not wrong...KK hospital does that.
    SGH does that as well... They collect in advance and pay you back balance if the patient decease or discharge in advance.

Here's my take:

Election is now over (less than 6 months):
    First electricity bills increase, then bus fare, then hospital bills increase... what next?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Here's my take:

Election is now over (less than 6 months):
    First electricity bills increase, then bus fare, then hospital bills increase... what next?
    Price of coffins...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Is this true? or a joke?
    In China, you no money, hospital will boot you out even before they see you.
    In many parts of China, this is very true.

So it's true then. One will not get treated if one has no money.

Quote Originally Posted by nexus0 View Post
    So it's true then. One will not get treated if one has no money.
    In China that is. I am not sure in Singapore. Never happened to people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Doc, may I ask your opinion ....?
    Will there be any difference if the hospitals in Sg do not spend so much money on their buildings, carpets, plasma tv, high tech items which are not necessary, fanciful display, decor, art pieces, uniforms, etc... , except of course those necessary equipments ....
    Will the saving on all these expensive expenditures, and probably lowering the profit margins of medicines, lower the costs for patients? ... juz curious.
    In post #30, I had mentioned that there are things I do not agree with.

What you are asking me is of course OT as far as this thread is concerned. Of course any savings from unnecessary expenses can potentially be used for provision of better care at lower cost. Personally, I do not care much about fanciful carpets, etc.

However, you must not forget that medicine today is not as simple as only a few decades ago. Today, it is a "medical industry". Singapore is trying hard to be the premier medical hub in SEAsia. Malaysia and Thailand is giving Singapore a run for the money.

Whether you like it or not, appearences do play a part in attracting "clients". And if one wants to draw patients from the region, then one MAY have to play the marketing game.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    "no singaporeans would be denied medical care because of inability to pay" what a turn-off! mouth it again, more votes will be lost.
    Seems like this will only benefit a very very small percentage of people who has totally no money.

For the large majority of us, we have to pay more. And I assume that the increase in amount collected is more than sufficient to cover the loss from those who can't pay?

Blog Entries

so it has become a business, out to make more money

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    "no singaporeans would be denied medical care because of inability to pay" what a turn-off! mouth it again, more votes will be lost.
    Now then you know meh? mmm..are u one of the 66.66% that finally wake up or are you the enlightened 33.33% that already see through these craps?

Singaporeans are so stupid, despite the cruel fact that is laid in front of them, they still choose to be the 66.66%. Price hikes and all these are already forseen and you all got the choice and power to change your life, but yet you all still choose the dead man's route.

All these 66.66% is the reason for wat we are having now, and well since that is what they want, i have nothing to say.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Admittedly I have not been in China long enough. But I had attachments in several Beijing Hospitals for about 4 months. That was 10 years ago. Perhaps time had changed. But during that time, medical treatment was so very ridiculously cheap in Beijing..
    Hi Doc, treatments and outpatient stuff are almost free in China. But for those terminally ill or seriously injured, it is a different case. Not so much in Beijing but outside the main cities. It is quite pathetic. Even in India/Pakistan. Checking into a public hospital is as good as not checking into one. That is why many foreign church groups ended up building hospitals funded by the American government to save lives. We are slightly more fortunate.

I had left institution practice for a while.

Working in various hospitals in Singapore for a period of about 20 years, I had never seen a situation where a Singaporean was turned away because of inability to pay.

There might be the occasional misguided idiotic administrative zealots who make life difficult for some, but I do believe no one is denied medical care in Singapore.

Honestly I have no love for institution administrators, but it would be important to find out facts and reasons for those situations which you were referring to. I will not deny what you said, but I will first investigate the circumstances.
    Doc, it is very assuring reading this from you. Thank you.

When you said turn off, I thought you were refering to something which I saw on another forum...
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=232351

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    so it has become a business, out to make more money
    While not to my liking, I can see the government's POV.

I long for the days of simple doctoring. A simple doctor-patient relationshop.

Then came the word "client" in the late 80s and early 90s. Boy, did I fight the administration over this word! I hated it! Reduced everything to a provision of a service. I ticked a lawyer off for referring to "our mutual client". I corrected him. I said "Mr XXX is your client. But he is my patient. Please keep it that way". It grieves me that I do not see such relationship very much more.

Healthcare is an almost unending pit that sucks money. Witness what happened to the UK NHS. Money must come from somewhere. Someone must pay. While not perfect (definitely not perfect!), believe me, the Singapore system has a reasonable balance. I would prefer to see certain changes, but others will have a different way of seeing issues.

While not to my liking, I can see the government's POV.

I long for the days of simple doctoring. A simple doctor-patient relationshop.

Then came the word "client" in the late 80s and early 90s. Boy, did I fight the administration over this word! I hated it! Reduced everything to a provision of a service. I ticked a lawyer off for referring to "our mutual client". I corrected him. I said "Mr XXX is your client. But he is my patient. Please keep it that way". It grieves me that I do not see such relationship very much more.

Healthcare is an almost unending pit that sucks money. Witness what happened to the UK NHS. Money must come from somewhere. Someone must pay. While not perfect (definitely not perfect!), believe me, the Singapore system has a reasonable balance. I would prefer to see certain changes, but others will have a different way of seeing issues.
    hahha... i was wondering during my 1st year y i had to write Client in our case notes as well... which was about 10 years ago... i wonder wat do they write now, but then i still got no idea wat was going on... even books was writing clients already... so i din bother to justify, thought its all the way in such manner...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I love doctors who practice intercontinental medical aids. Like treating the poor. As compared to those who sits in an air-con office doing consultations charging a bomb.

Of course any savings from unnecessary expenses can potentially be used for provision of better care at lower cost.
    ney, it goes to the bonuses of those top guys.

I am always amazed by their heavily subsidized medication like paraceptamol which is cheaply available in coffeeshop and their so called non-standard drug which cost a bomb to many yet they don't subsidized.

Doc any comment.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast