View Poll Results: Do you think you will be unemployed (wrt 9 to 5 kind of jobs...) by 40 years old?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there is age discrimination. No one wants to employ > 40 year old anymore.

    13 22.03%
  • Yes, its just economics. Cheaper to hire a fresh grad with more energy and new ideas.

    18 30.51%
  • Yes, but I shall go into photography by then...

    2 3.39%
  • No, if you remain viable, you can be employed at any age.

    14 23.73%
  • No, we can take up skill development and learn to... e.g. Sew... and be gainfully employed.

    2 3.39%
  • No, I will become the boss.... by then....

    10 16.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: 40 years old is about right to expire....

  1. #41
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    no money? it is a matter of lifestyle change
    Downgrade from 12mp dslr to 3mp P&S?

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    I think most important is health. Be healthy. if you get sick in SG and esp without a job, you are better off DEAD.


    However, I had enjoyed my life and have lived the way I wanted it to be. Not following trend of saving and seeing my hard earned money wasted in someone else hand. I started from nothing and have all i need (not wants). I'm contended so i can leave this world a happy man not regreting on my sick bed.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    ....However, I had enjoyed my life and have lived the way I wanted it to be. Not following trend of saving and seeing my hard earned money wasted in someone else hand. I started from nothing and have all i need (not wants). I'm contended so i can leave this world a happy man not regreting on my sick bed.
    What's your secret?

  4. #44

    Smile Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    well, do you know of many 'happy' poor old people?

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    Sorry, don't agree.
    I know of many unhappy rich old people.

  5. #45
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    well, do you know of many 'happy' poor old people?
    I forsee ppl feedback that some old ppl may be poor but are happy with their lives.

    Nonsense.. Everytime they open the letter box... how can they be happy with what they see ?
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  6. #46

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    [QUOTE=kitkat;2576337]Not true.

    Some pple are rich , but unhappy. Some are poor but happy.

    When pple are rich, they have times to thought about "Happy & Unhappy"
    When pple are poor,all the times are used to work & free to think about
    "HAPPY & UNHAPPY"

  7. #47

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    [QUOTE=Jukon;2578883][QUOTE=kitkat;2576337]Not true.

    Some pple are rich , but unhappy. Some are poor but happy.

    When pple are rich, they have times to thought about "Happy & Unhappy"
    When pple are poor,all the times are used to work for a living & not free to think about
    "HAPPY & UNHAPPY"

  8. #48

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    [QUOTE=Jukon;2578893][QUOTE=Jukon;2578883]
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    Not true.

    Some pple are rich , but unhappy. Some are poor but happy.

    When pple are rich, they have times to thought about "Happy & Unhappy"
    When pple are poor,all the times are used to work for a living & not free to think about
    "HAPPY & UNHAPPY"
    very true.

    maybe those who are rich and unhappy are those greedy type - wanting (not needing) more and more.

    maybe those who are poor and happy are those with simple minds and easily satisfied.

    The happiest are most probably those who are not too greedy, not too simple minded and has better than average luck and health

  9. #49

    Smile Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    guys, i am serious about many 'happy' poor old people. note the ' '.

  10. #50

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    This is what I think of companies mentality now,

    40 and above are liability and will try to get rid of them. Reasoning?

    1) older folks make company look old. Nothing looks better than a pretty young lass or a young chap in his 30s that dresses like a yuppie. The young ones are more inclined to dress to kill even though they may not be able to afford it

    2) older folks have too many committments, one of which is family. The young ones? Will drop all committements at the chance of a opportunity.

    3) older folks will require more pay based on seniority, the young ones? will take anything as long as you sell it well to them of their "prospects" and "growth" with company.

    Sigh sad to say a friend said something to me which I find is very true. "Many people have a one sided relationship with their companies, thinking their company looks after them. Hence they are so shocked when they get retrenched. Actually the companies dont give a hoot about you and to them, you are just another screw in the big picture, when you have expended your usefulness, bye bye you go no apologies about it." Maybe that will explain why retrenched staff are normally treated as if they are criminals. given less than 24 hrs to clear out and normally escorted out by security guards.

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: 40 years old is about right to expire....

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    This is what I think of companies mentality now,

    40 and above are liability and will try to get rid of them. Reasoning?

    1) older folks make company look old. Nothing looks better than a pretty young lass or a young chap in his 30s that dresses like a yuppie. The young ones are more inclined to dress to kill even though they may not be able to afford it

    2) older folks have too many committments, one of which is family. The young ones? Will drop all committements at the chance of a opportunity.

    3) older folks will require more pay based on seniority, the young ones? will take anything as long as you sell it well to them of their "prospects" and "growth" with company.

    Sigh sad to say a friend said something to me which I find is very true. "Many people have a one sided relationship with their companies, thinking their company looks after them. Hence they are so shocked when they get retrenched. Actually the companies dont give a hoot about you and to them, you are just another screw in the big picture, when you have expended your usefulness, bye bye you go no apologies about it." Maybe that will explain why retrenched staff are normally treated as if they are criminals. given less than 24 hrs to clear out and normally escorted out by security guards.
    i agree with u , hence to take it further , we should adopt higher mgmt concept,

    maximise the return for the same if not lesser effort.

    look for higher paying job, 2k in the pocket now is better than 2k in the pocket 3 years later.

    or get out of private sector job , .....................

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •