Thread: Ancient Film camera, what to do?

Default Ancient Film camera, what to do?

Asking on behalf of my friend:

Has a Nikon FG (I think that's the one) with Nikon E-series 35-70 f/3.5 lens.

Both camera and lens never use for about 20 years, both got fungus all over the place.
    Should he send the camera for cleaning?
    Is it worth it?
    If so, where is recommended for such a job?

Thanks!

Default Re: Ancient Film camera, what to do?

Make a trip down to Cam.X to get a quote. Here's the address and number to call:

3 Coleman Street
    Unit #01-20
    Peninsula Hotel Shopping Center
    S(179805)

Tele: 6339 1232

It's very near Funan IT Mall and the shop itself can be seen just opposite of Excelsior Hotel. Nick does a good job with all this cleaning. Alternatively you can try Camera Hospital. Don't have the details with me, but you can find the number on the bottom column of your classifieds frontpage.

I've not read anything about the Nikon FG. But that said, all these ancient cameras have a certain charm to them, very fun to use and the feel is different to today's cameras. It makes it feel fun to actually make a photo. Depending on the condition it might be worth a cleanup.

It won't be really worth the clean if the camera is not going to be used after that. I got a bunch of old Nikon F, F3 and EM and they are all fungus infected, lens included. I cleaned the lens since they are valuable manual lenses which I am using on my 30D. The cameras on the other hand, I just wiped clean with a slightly damp cloth ( they can be dismantled easily especially the viewfinder, but not sure for FG) and then seal in zip-locks with silica gel for storage to halt fungus growth. The fungus on the camera is easier to remove it seems.

I recommend that if the lens is still worth using, send it for cleaning. Places like The Camera Workshop does it. Cleaning price varies from lens to lens but is about 50-150 from the set of lenses that I had cleaned. If the fungus speads on the lens, the glass elements may become etched.

Not sure where to clean or repair cameras yet... Someone can verify this. But I heard of the camera hospital in Sunshine Plaza?
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

The camera body seems to be made of stainless steel/aluminium alloy(seems too heavy though) or some stout metal. Dunno if inside are plactics. Can use alcohol to clean myself or too dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by tamiya_model View Post
    Asking on behalf of my friend:

Has a Nikon FG (I think that's the one) with Nikon E-series 35-70 f/3.5 lens.

Both camera and lens never use for about 20 years, both got fungus all over the place.
    Should he send the camera for cleaning?
    Is it worth it?
    If so, where is recommended for such a job?

Thanks!
    For keepsake, maybe. Apart from that, I think there is no point because the model is entry level.

Use the alcohol! It'll help kill off the fungus. damp a cloth with alcohol then wipe just don't drown the camera Just one thing to note, some types of rubber won't go well with alcohol. So be careful when wiping down rubber on the camera.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Thanks everyone!

Any recomendation for a shop in KL/PJ area? Blu got 3 old lens that need major repair and cleaning.