Thread: Buying Camera in Japan

Default Buying Camera in Japan

I will be gg to Japan in Dec.
    1)Is the price competitive as compare to getting camera in Singapore???
    2)Any recommended shop?
    3)What are the things to note when geting a camera in Japan?

TIA

Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

Check the prices for the big stores online first to get a rough idea of what the range of prices are. Eg, Yodobashi or BIC Camera. Typically, they wun differ by much, but you can probably get a cheaper price at some of the smaller stores. However, do note that at the big stores, they can give you a 5% tax refund off the prices which some stores can't give.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    Check the prices for the big stores online first to get a rough idea of what the range of prices are. Eg, Yodobashi or BIC Camera. Typically, they wun differ by much, but you can probably get a cheaper price at some of the smaller stores. However, do note that at the big stores, they can give you a 5% tax refund off the prices which some stores can't give.
    Yeah, u get a tax refund over there but ended up paying 5% GST at our airport on your return if u declare or don't declare but get discovered by the customs.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Yeah, u get a tax refund over there but ended up paying 5% GST at our airport on your return if u declare or don't declare but get discovered by the customs.
    I don't get the point of your post here. If you dun get your tax refund over there, you will end up paying 10% in total, won't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    I don't get the point of your post here. If you dun get your tax refund over there, you will end up paying 10% in total, won't you?
    I don't know about the GST over there. What I am saying is that when u come back, whatever goods u bring in, over and above your entitlement of S$300, is subject to 5%GST. For instance, u buy back a new camera worth S$2,000, the customs will ask u to pay 5% GST on the S$1,700 (S$2,000 minus your entitlement of S$300).

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    I don't know about the GST over there. What I am saying is that when u come back, whatever goods u bring in, over and above your entitlement of S$300, is subject to 5%GST. For instance, u buy back a new camera worth S$2,000, the customs will ask u to pay 5% GST on the S$1,700 (S$2,000 minus your entitlement of S$300).
    i think prismatic's POV is that bigger shops offer tax rebate. The tax mentioned is applicable to japan and nothing to do with the GST in singapore. So if you see something worth $1000, you can get tax rebate and pay $958.38 (based on 5% tax) instead, whereas for smaller shops, you pay $1000 direct without any option of tax rebate. I think that's what prismatic is trying to say.

So if you exceed your entitlement get taxed in sg, you won't get double taxed, once in jap and once in sg.

In numbers:
    you pay $1035 for a $1000 item w/o tax rebate in jap after paying GST in sg.
    you pay $991.3 for a $1000 item after tax rebate in jap after GST in sg. That's some $47 difference.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

I don't find the camera cheaper in Japan after my one 10 day trip there. No time to see small shops so only go bg chains like yodabashi and bic camera. Seems to be more ex there leh.... + the language issue, seems too much of a hassle to get anything there.

Blog Entries

don't forget warranty and electrical issues