Thread: d70 Manual Focus

Default d70 Manual Focus

I have a couple of MF lenses passed down by my relatives. They are good lenses (80-200mm f/4 and 50mm f/1.4), so i thought i would keep them.

However, i'm a noob at MF, and together with the small viewfinder of the d70, makes MF rather slow and difficult. My question is: with much practice, will MF eventually be able to match AF?

Are there any tips on how to MF fast and accurately? Also, will dk21m eyepiece magnifier be a good aid in MF?

Default Re: d70 Manual Focus

Quote Originally Posted by ahsosl1e8 View Post
    I have a couple of MF lenses passed down by my relatives. They are good lenses (80-200mm f/4 and 50mm f/1.4), so i thought i would keep them.

However, i'm a noob at MF, and together with the small viewfinder of the d70, makes MF rather slow and difficult. My question is: with much practice, will MF eventually be able to match AF?

Are there any tips on how to MF fast and accurately? Also, will dk21m eyepiece magnifier be a good aid in MF?
    From the current AF sensors in DSLRs, it would be hard to match the speed unless it's a difficult focusing condition such as Macro or low light. Getting a DK21m magnifier would certainly help. I have one on my D70s.

Apart from that, you will not have metering and have to shoot in manual exposure mode.

From the current AF sensors in DSLRs, it would be hard to match the speed unless it's a difficult focusing condition such as Macro or low light.
    Sadly, i have to agree. Did a test in the evening and it was darn tough to get good focus. Exposure still ok, but focus... cannot even catch urban birds/pets... guess i'll have to sell the lens liao

Quote Originally Posted by ahsosl1e8 View Post
    Sadly, i have to agree. Did a test in the evening and it was darn tough to get good focus. Exposure still ok, but focus... cannot even catch urban birds/pets... guess i'll have to sell the lens liao
    Don't sell the lenses first, they are good lenses! Try to get a DK21m then try again. The focusing will be much easier. Without that, it is almost impossible to focus and trying to rely on the in-focus indicator is a real pain!
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 30th October 2006 at 09:55 AM.

Catzeye split screen may help you.

Regards,
    Arto.