Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: help on trip to vietnam

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    north
    Posts
    1,313

    Default help on trip to vietnam

    hi,

    i have never been to vietnam ( ho chin mint) and am thinking of going there alone for a 4 day trip.

    is the place easy to more around?
    what is the cheapest mean to get around
    what are the must see place? ( for picture taking especially)

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    HCMC is nice place, u can moving around either by walking or by taking taxi, walking is the best but u need lotsa energy, the streets can be very long and crossing the roads need some skills, u can see many beautiful things in the old city, and along the river. U can also join the local river cruise to see the river life.

  3. #3

    Default help on trip to vietnam

    think you will be able to get more help here

    http://www.sgtraveller.com/

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Taxi fare is calculated by districts. eg if u travel within a district, fare is fixed, abt S$2 IRRC.
    If cross over to next district, diff prices.
    Lots & lots of bikes, traffic is very slow. Probably 20-40km/h averagely.

    Yup, crossing the street is tricky. Anyway, the motorcyclists will give way to u, dun worry.
    After some practice, u will get hold of it, but dun practise that here, U get urself killed

    It is pretty safe in HCM at night. Of cos do mind ur wallet in crowded places.
    Must try their coffee. Good experience, see the coffee drip drop by drop.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    north
    Posts
    1,313

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    HCMC is nice place, u can moving around either by walking or by taking taxi, walking is the best but u need lotsa energy, the streets can be very long and crossing the roads need some skills, u can see many beautiful things in the old city, and along the river. U can also join the local river cruise to see the river life.
    thanks for the advice. i have been playing badminton 3-4 times a week to boost my stamina a little.
    last time went abroad carry camera stuff until wanna die. actually i prefer to walk.

    how about safety?

    all advice welcome!

    thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    thanks for the advice. i have been playing badminton 3-4 times a week to boost my stamina a little.
    last time went abroad carry camera stuff until wanna die. actually i prefer to walk.

    how about safety?

    all advice welcome!

    thanks
    HCMC is a safe place, almost as safe as Singapore, but watch out for pick-pocket...

  7. #7

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    I am gg there in dec too ..
    some infos I have found out ..

    http://www.concierge.com/destination...?mbid=overture

  8. #8

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Things to note when crossing streets:

    Just walk across with confidence. Do not run, hesitate or vary your speed. The motorcyclist would adjust their speed and direction to avoid you. Changing your speed or direction would only cause confusion between them and you which may lead to accidents.

    If you wait you will almost never find a break in the sea of motorcycles except maybe between 2am to 5am.

  9. #9

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    I stayed at Evergreen Hotel at district 3. Junction of Hai Bah Trung and Vo Tee Sao, pardon my spelling.

    About USD$25 per night.

    Queen size bed.
    Mini bar fridge.
    Cable TV.
    Attached bathroom with full length tub.
    Full height double layer windows facing one of the city gardens.
    Morning breakfast included.

    There is a cybercafe with ADSL nearby and is considered one of the more upmarket districts by local standards. It is no where near the tourist backpackers zone. You get a slice of the real local life, especially in the morning and evening in the public garden.

    PM me if you want the contact and exact address.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    Things to note when crossing streets:

    Just walk across with confidence. Do not run, hesitate or vary your speed. The motorcyclist would adjust their speed and direction to avoid you. Changing your speed or direction would only cause confusion between them and you which may lead to accidents.

    If you wait you will almost never find a break in the sea of motorcycles except maybe between 2am to 5am.
    Another way is, wait at the pavement until u see a local crossing the road, then just follow him/her will do.

  11. #11

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Keep a look out for the old Vietnam War planes and hangars as your aircraft taxis towards the terminal. You can spot Russian hinds and Antonovs.

    There are priced regulated taxis from the airport to the HCMC these days, last year there was none.

    Places to go:

    1) Post Office where you see a big portrait of "Uncle Ho"
    2) Next to PO is the cathedral made of bricks
    3) Natural History Museum & War Museum. Avoid Mondays as they are closed.
    4) Presidential Palace.
    5) Chinatown
    6) Bantha market. Famous for Vietnamese coffee, rose tea.
    7) Pho 2000 restaurant. Bill Clinton was there.
    8) At the backpackers area, there are day tours organizers. You can take a boat ride to mekong delta, visit the chu chi tunnels.

    Food:
    1) Avoid street food unless you very gungho. Unless your local friends recommend, beware.
    2) They use a generous dose of MSG, so it may give you headaches.
    3) Last I recalled, tap water is not portable.
    4) Check out the local Starbucks called Trung Nguyen. Ask for the drip coffee which they serve using a Phin, both hot/cold.
    5) There is an upmarket ice cream joint that uses coconut milk. Popular among locals.

  12. #12

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Be careful of those trishaw men. They are blood suckers.
    U must be street-smart.

    Agreed on 60K to bring u around the river bank to the museum.
    On the way, he suggested to bring u sight-seeing the market place 1st.
    When arrived yr destination, he wanted 100K.

    Mekong River Tour is a whole day event. (incl lunch)
    "Elephant Fish" is Mekong popular dish. US$6-7. Fish scales can be eaten. Deep fried.
    The meat is wrap with rice paper. Like popiah.

    Ben-Thanh Market is a paradise for shopping & makan.
    Lots of budget hotels in this area. Range from US$25-50.

  13. #13

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    I can try to find my friend's regular motorcycle "taxi" man in HCMC. PM me if you are interested.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    north
    Posts
    1,313

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElliot View Post
    Be careful of those trishaw men. They are blood suckers.
    U must be street-smart.

    Agreed on 60K to bring u around the river bank to the museum.
    On the way, he suggested to bring u sight-seeing the market place 1st.
    When arrived yr destination, he wanted 100K.

    Mekong River Tour is a whole day event. (incl lunch)
    "Elephant Fish" is Mekong popular dish. US$6-7. Fish scales can be eaten. Deep fried.
    The meat is wrap with rice paper. Like popiah.

    Ben-Thanh Market is a paradise for shopping & makan.
    Lots of budget hotels in this area. Range from US$25-50.
    how much is 60k in sin dollar?

  15. #15

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    how much is 60k in sin dollar?
    About SGD 5.20

    1SGD ~= 10k

    .

  16. #16

    Default Re: help on trip to vietnam

    You should check out this forum... lots of good advices.. but i think in HCMC, you wouldnt 1 2 miss the cu chi tunnel.. if you r bored moving around alone.. i heard of a very good uni student english speaking guide, he's very popular.. hard to get him if u r going during peak period.. hee.. when are u going? I'm going on 24 Dec till 7 Jan.

    forum - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...2-Vietnam.html
    guide - http://www.vietnamtourjason.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •