Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: 10D shutter button spoilt?

  1. #1
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Hi all,

    Juz found my shutter button got problem.
    When half press - 'beep beep', everything is fine
    When fully press to shoot - can't shoot

    I had a battery grip and the shutter button @ Battery grip is working fine. Now i can only shoot potrait nia...

    I had called Shah Alam Canon to check on the prices..
    If confirm it is button problem (may be always press very hard and damage the button)

    * Replace button - RM50 [ + RM120 service charge ] = RM170

    Anyone can advise me the S$ price @ Singapore Canon?


    Thanks
    KHLIM

  2. #2
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    why not you just call them up on monday to check?
    eat. drink. shoot

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Y do u need to press until very hard since it's an electromagnetic release? I always gently press the shutter button lightly and it still fires.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #4
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Y do u need to press until very hard since it's an electromagnetic release? I always gently press the shutter button lightly and it still fires.
    lend to a fren for wedding - may be he press too hard..
    return to me and i found the button not working...
    Last edited by modenaslim; 28th October 2006 at 10:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    why not you just call them up on monday to check?
    Ya, will make a trip down to Canon on tuesday / Wednesday....
    But usual practice is to survey survey a bit @ clubsnap forum to gather more info...


    Thanks...

  6. #6

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by modenaslim View Post
    Ya, will make a trip down to Canon on tuesday / Wednesday....
    But usual practice is to survey survey a bit @ clubsnap forum to gather more info...


    Thanks...
    I was charged like $50 including parts and labor!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by modenaslim View Post
    lend to a fren for wedding - may be he press too hard..
    return to me and i found the button not working...
    Then u should ask him to compensate.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #8
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    I was charged like $50 including parts and labor!

    Hi,

    Ur cam also encounter button problem where it was replacement and cost u $50 total?
    Juz need more info, i already plan to make a trip down @ Tuesday morning to Canon @ ?Harbourfront...

    Is it normal to replace button for DSLR? I think my shutter count so far less than 25k leh.. Or may be due to my fren's strong finger press hard hard!!

    Anyway my fren agree to pay me for the fee...


    KHLIM

  9. #9
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    I was charged like $50 including parts and labor!
    CANON increase their repair charge?
    Sent in my 10D today and was told the>
    Cost of replacement = $20
    Service charge = $70
    Total = $90.. Wah 80% more than what ligthing paid...

    But the officer told me the CMOS will be cleaned and inclusive inside the service charge.....

  10. #10

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    wah sebice charge bery high sia....

    thanks for the info.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Service charges are always expensive, that's how they earn even though the job is a simple one.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by modenaslim View Post
    CANON increase their repair charge?
    Sent in my 10D today and was told the>
    Cost of replacement = $20
    Service charge = $70
    Total = $90.. Wah 80% more than what ligthing paid...

    But the officer told me the CMOS will be cleaned and inclusive inside the service charge.....
    SGD$90! good good, my 300d shutter button just spoilt.
    It happened to my friend last time, AUD200ish and took 1 month to repair. (because here, if we bring to Canon, they send it over East).
    I am considering getting mine fixed when I go to Singapore.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,084

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    That's not a bad price, pretty standard IMO... The 90$ involves shutter button replacement? Anyone changed their shutter assembly with 10D?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    That's not a bad price, pretty standard IMO... The 90$ involves shutter button replacement? Anyone changed their shutter assembly with 10D?
    Yeah i did that in the middle of this year before the GST rise. Total's $175 including GST and cleaning of viewfinder, focusing screen and CMOS is free. The shutter unit's $50 but the service is $125.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #15

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    it's $85. and insist in changing the button.

    trust me. it's worth paying, because chances that it'll die very soon if they didnt change the button.

    they repaired my button without changing. i went back 3 times, and got it changed.

    and no, it's not from pressing too hard. 10D and 300D seems to have this problem alot.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    it's $85. and insist in changing the button.

    trust me. it's worth paying, because chances that it'll die very soon if they didnt change the button.

    they repaired my button without changing. i went back 3 times, and got it changed.

    and no, it's not from pressing too hard. 10D and 300D seems to have this problem alot.

    I don't have any problems with my 10D's shutter button even after nearly 2 years of usage.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #17
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I don't have any problems with my 10D's shutter button even after nearly 2 years of usage.
    then u are lucky!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by modenaslim View Post
    then u are lucky!!
    I find the 10D very well-built (similar to 1D series) and i do not think its external parts will wear off that easily. But of cos, internally is another issue as it's mostly electronics after all.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,084

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I don't have any problems with my 10D's shutter button even after nearly 2 years of usage.

    Same here entering 4 years now with the original shutter and button hehe (over 80K shutter counts)

  20. #20

    Default Re: 10D shutter button spoilt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I find the 10D very well-built (similar to 1D series) and i do not think its external parts will wear off that easily. But of cos, internally is another issue as it's mostly electronics after all.
    Err....the build is not the same. I am using both now. The 10D feels "plastic" compare to the 1D series.... The 10D produce some sound when you invert the camera...1D has no sound no matter how you shake it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •