Thread: job with lots of travel and relocation

Default job with lots of travel and relocation

hi!
    my friend got a job offer which requires frequent travel to other apac countries and even relocation to another country for a few month.
    what does the company should offer in this case for relocation? housing? allowance?
    what should my friend ask from the company? any idea?

Default Re: job with lots of travel and relocation

Basics like :

- Housing allowances
    - Taxes (killer one!)
    - Air tickets for home leave (including family?)
    - Longer annual leave (usually 21 days and more)
    - Salary package must be worth it, obviously!
    - Medical and insurance coverage (you never know how much more you are charged at hospitals as an expat)

Extras like IDD calls to be borne by company (out of goodwill), rental of cars *(long term rentals), children allowances (because usually you end up putting your kids into international schools and not the local schools, the cost can be staggering), maids or PA (at least for the first 6 months). Things like that. Depending on what is the company that you are working for.

Frequent travel and relocation are different, frequent travel u base in Singapore but fly here and there regularly, most likey u claim all your expense as expense claim, relocation u base in another country and maybe have a home trip to come back Singapore once in a few month.

Quote Originally Posted by centrino View Post
    hi!
    my friend got a job offer which requires frequent travel to other apac countries and even relocation to another country for a few month.
    what does the company should offer in this case for relocation? housing? allowance?

To contribute some,
    Daily/Monthly allowance on top of existing salary.
    Claims on unforseen expenses such money lost, see doctor....etc.
    Unlimited claims for travelling around in another country.
    Or if need to travel to work daily, arrange for driver pick up or taxi at hotel/house.
    Full body checkup and vaccinations.
    Most important, a Coporate CREDIT CARD!

the list goes on....

but not too much, in case the boss "You ask so much????", "PACK UP AND LEAVE PLEASE!"
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by centrino
    hi!

Some jobs are like that, require frequent travels within APA, that is one of the advantages of companies locating their regional OHQ in SIN alot of MNC does this. Most APA countries are within 7hours flight so really no big deal not even get jetlag so no worries about that.

What you may want to confirm is if the travel is beyond 4 hours do you get to travel Business Class? some large MNC's do give you that and it could really be beneficial when you clock in the Frequent Flyer miles.

As regards relocation for several months, mostly the company will provide you a hotel stay, some hotels do give good rates for extended stays.

Get one that provides you Internet Broadband so you can stay in touch with your loved ones at home, let technology work to your advantage.

One tip... when you are stationed OS, there is a tendency to work late in office as there is no one waiting for you when you get home, you need to be conscious of where you are posted and their culture, some cultures frown on working long hours, off duty means off duty and trying to outshine them is counter-productive, unless you are stationed in HKG, Tokyo, Bangkok, Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi or HCM. They work long hours... I never seen people worked so hard like they do.

../azul123

Better check if the company is going to allow family to tag along. Some lower positions, you are expected to post overseas and travel and family is not to tag along. If family come along then sorry mate, you pay everything yourself.