Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Photography Magazines ?

  1. #1

    Default Photography Magazines ?

    I've been out of the photography game for a while and am planning to get a new camera and studio equipment in the next month.

    Im curious to know whats been going on in the industry so i want to subscribe to a few magazines. I was at B & N (barnes..) today looking through all the magizines. There are so many on digital photog these days. just wanted to sorta poll which magazines you have seen to be the most knowledgeable.

    TY.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    thje 4 mags. i buy regularly are Digital Photo, Practical Photography, Digital Camera World and Digital Photographer.. Also iPhotoVideo, so i can keep track of upcoming events and competitions it may not be a fantastic mag. but it's cheap if you go by subscription

    Quote Originally Posted by snookay View Post
    I've been out of the photography game for a while and am planning to get a new camera and studio equipment in the next month.

    Im curious to know whats been going on in the industry so i want to subscribe to a few magazines. I was at B & N (barnes..) today looking through all the magizines. There are so many on digital photog these days. just wanted to sorta poll which magazines you have seen to be the most knowledgeable.

    TY.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    yes, im goint to just subscribe. Thats why im asking which mags. Dont really want to throw down $70 bucks n only get crap in the mail each month. Its hard to choose which to subscribe to based off loooking at 1 months worth of the magazine thats in the store .

  4. #4

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    Practical Photography for me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    Practical Photography for me too.. But I only buy selected issues coz some of the topics I am not interested or have been covered before in previous issues liao..
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    Practical Photography gets my vote too....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #7

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    Try this: 中国摄影家. You will be marvelled by some of the pictures you see. Go to Geylang East National Library to browse through past few issues before deciding.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    Yup..go for practical photography..

  9. #9

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    I agreed. This mag is good too, and the paper they print on is I think cost more than $13, u can get them at a bookstore on the 1st floor of Bras Basah.. I normally borrow them from NLB though..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ong View Post
    Try this: 中国摄影家. You will be marvelled by some of the pictures you see. Go to Geylang East National Library to browse through past few issues before deciding.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    长山
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    Not sure this available in Singapore.

    I find that DCM (Digital Camera Magazine) is good, they will teach some tricks and watch out during photoshooting.

    Their website, www.dcmag.co.uk.

    Actually i bought it from JB, got 2 versions, UK and Msia. Msia version cost you RM8.00 while the other one, i think double the price.
    Last edited by yZong; 25th October 2006 at 10:45 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    hmmm now im curious about something else. Is on this site from the UK ? Since that is where Practical Photography is base out of.

    ill still see if they have it out here in the us

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    长山
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    I made a mistake on the link. Now it is correct.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    i just recently subscribed for Popular Photography & Imaging. http://www.popphoto.com

    subscription is dirt cheap. Borders sells it at $11.90 per issue but if you subscribe, and i'm talking about international subscription, each issue is less than $3! cheaper than Lime or Teenage magazine! :O

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    most photography magazines, especially like those Practical Photography & Popular Photography, they will recycle the articles after sometime, so subscribe for one year or two is good enough.

    If cost is an issue, consider buy old magazines from someone if you don't fancy about latest techno stuffs.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    I like Shutterbug.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    As far as info, technique and more honest reviews go, I'd say generally the British magazines.

    I won't touch American magazines, especially those under Petersen's Publications (Popular Photography and Photographic), with a ten-foot pole.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    yeap, i subscribe to digital camera magazine too.

    some how i find it more useful and informative than practical photography as well..

    but either way both are great mags!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    where do you guys subscribe? online or local store?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    http://360.itcow.com
    Posts
    2,363

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    Quote Originally Posted by antitrust View Post
    i just recently subscribed for Popular Photography & Imaging. http://www.popphoto.com

    subscription is dirt cheap. Borders sells it at $11.90 per issue but if you subscribe, and i'm talking about international subscription, each issue is less than $3! cheaper than Lime or Teenage magazine! :O
    for this subscription, do you need external reader? i meant the subscription to read online one.

    "Digital Subscriptions
    The digital edition of Popular Photography & Imaging brings you all of the same top-notch photographic coverage as the print version, but in a new, easy-to-use format with lots of great features. With a digital subscription, you can download each issue even before it hits the newsstand, search issues by keywords, and link to other sites. Plus, there's no paper, so you can take your entire collection with you wherever you go."

  20. #20

    Default Re: Photography Magazines ?

    Quote Originally Posted by etegration View Post
    for this subscription, do you need external reader? i meant the subscription to read online one.

    "Digital Subscriptions
    The digital edition of Popular Photography & Imaging brings you all of the same top-notch photographic coverage as the print version, but in a new, easy-to-use format with lots of great features. With a digital subscription, you can download each issue even before it hits the newsstand, search issues by keywords, and link to other sites. Plus, there's no paper, so you can take your entire collection with you wherever you go."

    probably in PDF format...



    Anyway I prefer hardcopy.
    Used to browse the mag in bookstore or borrow from library. But nowadays not readily available in the library I frequent and no time to go bookstore.
    For for $3 per issue, it is dirt cheap. May even be cheaper than borrowing from the library considering the travelling cost and parking fees etc....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •