Thread: Colour Settings in Photoshop

Default Colour Settings in Photoshop

Hi guys/gals,

I am quite confused in this aspect. Hope pros out there can enlighten.

(a) I have used EyeOne to calibrate my monitor. Say settings have been saved as "EYEONE"
    (b) Currently, under "color settings" in Photoshop indicates the below:

Settings - North America General Purpose 2
    Working Spaces:
    RGB - sRGB
    CMYK - U.S Web Coated (SWOP) v2
    Gray: Dot Gain 20%
    Spot: Dot Gain 20%

Color Management Policies
    RGB - Preserve Embedded Profiles
    CMYK - Preserve Embedded Profiles
    Gray - Preserve Embedded Profiles

QUESTION 1 - Should i change my working space to be as "EYEONE" profile or best kept at "Adobe RGB 1998"

QUESTION 2 - What should i put under settings where currently it is North America General Purpose 2?

QUESTION 3 - After i have confirmed the color settings in Photoshop(say i have confirmed Adobe RGB 1998), should one also indicate "Adobe RGB 1998" as the working space in the window of Camera Raw?

QUESTION 4 - If Adobe RGB 1998 is recommended to be the working space for ppl who prints the photos from lab and sending pics abit over the net, where does the calibrated profile of EYEONE comes in place? Is it just to make sure that the colours are "right" as what i see from my computer and it has no effect in what comes out of the photo labs?

thanks,
    bernard

Default Re: Colour Settings in Photoshop

the EyeOne profile is for your computer to control the monitor

the sRGB colourspace is the default for web use. web browsers don't use Adobe RGB

Adobe RGB has a wider range of colours than sRGB, but on the other hand, your printer, whether desktop, large format or photodeveloper, might not be able to print all that colour.

To use sRGB or Adobe RGB is up to you as long as you keep the last 2 things in mind.

Color correction is for the monitor caliberation. However, you can assign or change the profiling when you're going to print. You can let the Ps control the color or your printer control the color based on the profiling. My humble opinion.

Try do the search" printing from photoshop CS" you will get alots of tips from there.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    Color correction is for the monitor caliberation. However, you can assign or change the profiling when you're going to print. You can let the Ps control the color or your printer control the color based on the profiling. My humble opinion.

Try do the search" printing from photoshop CS" you will get alots of tips from there.
    there are some tones of colours in Adobe RGB (and even sRGB) that are just not printable with current technology...just had a discussion with a chap at a commercial printer about it...he was showing me his company's new printer while I was there doing colour proofing...Still think sRGB is a safer gamut for printing...less colour clipping, more or less ignorable except for the very picky...

thanks for your thoughts so far!

appreciated!

just another question....
    Should my workspace be set to 8 bits or 16 bits?

Whats the difference between the two if my usage revolves around web and printing via photo labs?

thks!

16bit is good to have when trying to save detail from highlights or shadows, to drastically alter colours, or when blending and healing areas where the gradient of tones is very gradual...but the files are HUGE, especially if it has many layers...so your comp needs to be able to handle the files...personally, I would just edit in 8bit unless I really need the extra image information of the 16bit file...