View Poll Results: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pic 1

    4 33.33%
  • Pic 2

    8 66.67%
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    I was playing around with this effect just now. Please let me know which one you prefer, and why. May be my skill are just very superficial. Thanks.

    Original pic:



    After dodging and burning:
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    I was playing around with this effect just now. Please let me know which one you prefer, and why. May be my skill are just very superficial. Thanks.

    Original pic:



    After dodging and burning:
    forgive me for being frank, from 1st look, does not see any diff...

    then i look closer, then find that the original seem nicer, cos your burning was rather patchy.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Yeah...it's just a 2-min work to test out. Understand that my work is very superficial indeed.

    Thanks for the comments and criticism bro.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    forgive me for being frank, from 1st look, does not see any diff...

    then i look closer, then find that the original seem nicer, cos your burning was rather patchy.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    i prefer the first one as well. the 2nd looks like you dodge and burn the face area making it look a lil' weird.
    I Love You :)

  5. #5
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    how come the focus of the picture somehow ended up on her left breast?
    sigh.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Erm...not sure leh...I just did some burning and dodging on the original pic that's all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    how come the focus of the picture somehow ended up on her left breast?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    how come the focus of the picture somehow ended up on her left breast?
    i believe the hotspot over there contributed to that ...

    yah, i think the burning kind of accentuated the overexposure on the dress

  8. #8

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Dodging and burning are wonderful tools to bring an image to what you perceived when you took the image.

    However, you should respect the way light works on your subject. If you go against how the light is supposed to illuminate the subject, then the final result will look incongruous.

    Take a look again at the before and after images. Study them, and see if you would might do it differently.

  9. #9
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    hi virgo, i've taken the liberty to do some dodging and burning on ur original picture..
    hope u dont mind.. i'll remove it immediately you object.

    sigh.

  10. #10
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    hi virgo, i've taken the liberty to do some dodging and burning on ur original picture..
    hope u dont mind.. i'll remove it immediately you object.

    Swee ah!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    hi virgo, i've taken the liberty to do some dodging and burning on ur original picture..
    hope u dont mind.. i'll remove it immediately you object.

    how come suddenly the neck like look longer... ?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    please calibrate your screen if you are doing any dodging and burning.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Don't mind at all. She looks like the little match girl. Nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    hi virgo, i've taken the liberty to do some dodging and burning on ur original picture..
    hope u dont mind.. i'll remove it immediately you object.

    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  14. #14
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Thanks for the comments, suggestions and guidence bro. I'm still learning on PS.

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Dodging and burning are wonderful tools to bring an image to what you perceived when you took the image.

    However, you should respect the way light works on your subject. If you go against how the light is supposed to illuminate the subject, then the final result will look incongruous.

    Take a look again at the before and after images. Study them, and see if you would might do it differently.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  15. #15

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    clown > somehow looks like u hv 'flatten' her left asset

  16. #16
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by simon80 View Post
    clown > somehow looks like u hv 'flatten' her left asset
    just lowered the highlights there.. no liquidify done.
    sigh.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: The power of dodging and burning: which one do you prefer?

    Looking at the result of the poll, apparently ppl still prefer #2 leh...those who voted for 2, can you explain why you chose 2 over 1 please?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •