Thread: IR: Fallen treasure

Default IR: Fallen treasure

Your valuable C & C please.

Cheers,
    Billy

Default Re: IR: Fallen treasure

i think the IR processing employed here gives very soothing result, depth of the space is nicely accentuated with the differential tones. but the main subject seems insignificant in its environment in this frame, a little too common looking. the feeling of 'treasure,' something worth attention, doesn't quite come through imo.

I agree with eikin. I always stress to IR shooters, not to be too obsessed with the effect of the filter. Compose properly, choose the right subject. Make your pix interesting first then think of how the effect bring out the subject or composition.

Talking Re: IR: Fallen treasure

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    i think the IR processing employed here gives very soothing result, depth of the space is nicely accentuated with the differential tones. but the main subject seems insignificant in its environment in this frame, a little too common looking. the feeling of 'treasure,' something worth attention, doesn't quite come through imo.
    The treasure I am refering to is actually the fallen tree which were once standing tall. I am not a tree hugger but its real sad to see young trees fallen.
    Would shooting with a flash helps in this situation?
    I will take note of your comments.
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    I agree with eikin. I always stress to IR shooters, not to be too obsessed with the effect of the filter. Compose properly, choose the right subject. Make your pix interesting first then think of how the effect bring out the subject or composition.
    I have to agree I am still very new to produce reasonably good composition. (I seriously thought I had....) Anyway, I will try harder next time

Guess I need to join in more trips to see how others compose.

PS: Who can resist the effect of the filter?

Cheers,
    Billy
    Last edited by Goondoo; 24th October 2006 at 07:18 PM.

although i don't find your composition working for your title here, actually i don't find it too far out, as in i do believe you compose well ... always good to try out new stuff, just don't become too attached to the images

Agree with YQ that my attention was actually attracted by the blue sky and the tree rather than the fallen branch.

However, I love your post-processing effect.

although i don't find your composition working for your title here, actually i don't find it too far out, as in i do believe you compose well ... always good to try out new stuff, just don't become too attached to the images
    haha.... I will try.... I promised....

actually, i quite like the shot. but i feel the framing can be improved by either giving abit more space to the left or the right side, right now it's abit center with some margin allowance, which gives a neither here nor there kinda feeling.

and yeah i could tell it was talking about the tree. anyway i like it aside from the mentioned point. where was this?

Point noted.
    Hmmmm... how should I actually present a fallen tree then, shoot higher to avoid the sky?

Quote Originally Posted by zemotion View Post
    actually, i quite like the shot. but i feel the framing can be improved by either giving abit more space to the left or the right side, right now it's abit center with some margin allowance, which gives a neither here nor there kinda feeling.

and yeah i could tell it was talking about the tree. anyway i like it aside from the mentioned point. where was this?
    OK, another evidence I need to improve on my composition, I knew eikin was trying to be nice .
    Its along Yio Chu Kang Road where many trees can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    Point noted.
    Hmmmm... how should I actually present a fallen tree then, shoot higher to avoid the sky?

OK, another evidence I need to improve on my composition, I knew eikin was trying to be nice .
    Its along Yio Chu Kang Road where many trees can be found.
    *faint*

usually i don't like to give tips on what can make the picture, cause ultimately it's what the photographer sees that makes the shot valuable, not what other people tell him/her to see ... anyway, going closer might be a good option

*faint*

usually i don't like to give tips on what can make the picture, cause ultimately it's what the photographer sees that makes the shot valuable, not what other people tell him/her to see ... anyway, going closer might be a good option
    Hmmm.... will try that some day.... thanks for the "rare" tips then... lol

nice, but personally I prefer a tighter crop away at the bottom.
    There is no line of interest there or leading it to the fallen tree.
    The grass patch does takes some attention from the viewer.
    Canon EOS 50D 24-105mm f4 L IS 70-200mm f/4 IS L 50mm f/1.8

Talking Re: IR: Fallen treasure

Hmmm... How about this one (chop chop)

Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    Hmmm... How about this one (chop chop)

did u just resize it rather than crop? seem same to me..
    Canon EOS 50D 24-105mm f4 L IS 70-200mm f/4 IS L 50mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by bwilly View Post
    did u just resize it rather than crop? seem same to me..
    I did a crop