Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee are Singapore

Default Re: Wee are Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    i meant that she was irresponsible in her reply to Derek, but for doing that, she has to bear the responsibilities of the resulting reactions.

i did not say that she ran away from bearing the responsibilities of having 'spoken' irresponsibly, because i do not know exactly what happens after that.

get it?

yupz I get what mean......paiseh misread what you write....

Let me state upfront that this is my opinion. You are entitled to your own opinion (as what is agreed upon by a few people here too).

A Private Blog (even if password protected) is an oxymoron in itself. Ever heard of hacks? Or maybe just some random link impossibly giving access to some information meant to be 'private'.

My simple rule is. You put it on the web. It's Public Access. You want privacy? Use a book.

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake View Post
    When you bitch, prepare to be bitch slapped. If she had any gumption, the blog would have remained up. And with that, everybody can see that a) daddy doesn't want to hurt his chances next election time b) There is no conviction behind her talk c) Quite obviously she knows she knows she's an unfeeling little fart who was beating down upon the common man with her great Western education.
    Well actually, bitching and bitch slapping are two rather unrelated things. That's out of point though, I apologise. I think whether there was any conviction/intent behind her talk, it's tough to say for certain, however, it is unlikely that her blog could have remained up even if she meant what she said with wholehearted maliciousness. For one, daddy would have made her take it down, against her will or not, as you have mentioned. Once something like that is publicised, there's no fool that would leave it up, whether they feel strongly about the issue or not. No one really wants to die for standing up for something as insubstantial as your pride.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    Possibly as well, a person feels empowered online, in ways that they never would feel in person.
    i believe you know what happens to power without responsibility

i believe you know what happens to power without responsibility
    Adolf Hitler
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    yupz I get what mean......paiseh misread what you write....
    can i request that you type with legible grammar? i have no problems with the lack of capital letters (which i don't like to use as well) and sometimes disturbed by abbreviations, but i cannot understand sentences without proper structure. if you have to type Singlish, use a recognizable Singlish as well, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Possibly as well, a person feels empowered online, in ways that they never would feel in person.
    yupz...that when flaming occurs..... people feel they can say what ever things they like without having to take any responsiblities as they are almost invisible.... people only know each other by their nicks...
    Last edited by scramblur11; 25th October 2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: some sentences not written properly so got to edit...

can i request that you type with legible grammar? i have no problems with the lack of capital letters (which i don't like to use as well) and sometimes disturbed by abbreviations, but i cannot understand sentences without proper structure. if you have to type Singlish, use a recognizable Singlish as well, thanks!
    ok then...sorry about it...type too fast......I too used to using short forms during SMS.....
    Last edited by scramblur11; 25th October 2006 at 08:48 PM.

and if u think being sarcastic about my english make u happy, so be it then also.....not all ppl has as good an education as you have or as well versed in english as you...
    Oh, I see now.

I used that last parting phrase (which she had used in the offending blog post) to show you the way she has judged Derek Wee incapable of a solid future due to his command of English is inappropriate and unfair (as I have alluded to in the first post in this thread).

It doesn't feel good that someone's judging you a failure because your English isn't up to "their" standards, right?
    Last edited by r32; 25th October 2006 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r32 View Post
    Oh, I see now.

I used that last parting phrase to show you the way she has judged Derek Wee incapable of a solid future due to his command of English is inappropriate and unfair (as I have alluded to in the first post in this thread).

It doesn't feel good that someone's judging you a failure because your English isn't up to "their" standards, right?

In fact, I didn't judge you. If she still stands by her reasoning, that was subsequently supported by her father, then they did.
    I don't agree with what you say, but I did not try to be sarcastic...I talk nicely because I mature enough to think....you can disagree with me and I respect your disagreement.....but not the way you try to be sacarstic about my english...that a bit personal don't you think?

the young lady may or may not be matured enough when she write...so what you want her to do? kowtow to everybody till her head bleed open?

scramblur11, apologies but i'm getting confused by your posts, may i ask what is the main point you want to make amidst all the argument you are having with others?

You are probably the minority voice here amidst all the outrage against her.

Other than my initial post, I have not posted my views on this subject. You may have confused my stand to be the same as the rest.

Actually its a lot more moderate than you might think. You may say I was being sarcastic, yes I was. If you are offended, I apologize, but maybe you would have felt a little of what the others feel as well. At least it made you think, made you see the other point of view. There is a little Derek Wee in all of us working ants. I daresay there's a lot of Derek Wees, not only in this forum, but in our society. Which is why, we have reacted with our hearts first and foremost.

To be honest when I read her blog, I was offended too. I am not quite at Derek Wee's stage in my life yet (40s and worried about job security), but I am headed down there. Derek's position isn't wrong but it is definitely not infallible either. Wee Shu Min quite rightly pointed out that your future is what you make of it. And there is a lot of truth in what she says, much of which has been directly or indirectly due to her education and privileged status.

Once you take away the sarcasm (she has it in spades that I don't) it actually plays out as a very decent argumentative GP essay if it had to be one. The relevant points are there, and backed up with good general knowledge.

What made it hard for people to swallow, was that it was coming from an 18 year old girl who's not entered the workforce, never had tough times when money becomes a reason for doing many things, just to scrape a living in our society. Most of us have to do it, in varying degrees, some more, some less. In Clubsnap, I tend to think that we are already a more privileged lot than the lesser educated Singaporeans. At least we have the spare time, and money to dabble in expensive camera gear, and get on the internet to talk about it.

Perhaps indirectly we needed that wakeup call, we worker ants. In things like the influx of foreign labour we cannot expect the government to place artificial barriers to stop them. We'd lose our competitive edge as a whole. We cannot forget we descended from migrants as well, only during that time, the natives had no means to stop the colonists from claiming this land as their own and making all migrants equal. If English is the global language of trade, that is what we need to be good in. Let's not forget Mandarin - China is poised to be the next big global thing, if it isn't already.

I say that it is good that we got an idea of what the elites think of us. Perhaps we need to debunk those preconceptions.
    Last edited by r32; 25th October 2006 at 09:17 PM.

scramblur11, apologies but i'm getting confused by your posts, may i ask what is the main point you want to make amidst all the argument you are having with others?
    no lar...I do not have any main point...I just reply to any things which I think I should reply to....

but basically I feel that the young lady has her own freedom of speech, but may not be matured enough to write in a diplomatic way....so what she say may be wrong, but I do not go to the extent of flaming her....

not relating to her issue, if people want freedom of speech, then start by respecting other people's freedom......if everytime somebody disagreed with you, you flame the person, would this help encourage freedom of speech? each person has their own views mah.....

no lar...I do not have any main point...I just reply to any things which I think I should reply to....

but basically I feel that the young lady has her own freedom of speech, but may not be matured enough to write in a diplomatic way....so what she say may be wrong, but I do not go to the extent of flaming her....

not relating to her issue, if people want freedom of speech, then start by respecting other people's freedom......if everytime somebody disagreed with you, you flame the person, would this help encourage freedom of speech? each person has their own views mah.....
    so you're saying that she should not have been flamed? why don't you go take issue with those who flamed her then? you seem to be rebutting everyone and anyone who thinks differently compared to you, and the girl in question

Freedom of speech is a blade that cuts both ways.

You have the freedom to say what you think. I have the freedom to say what I think about you.

By claiming that certain things should not have been said, lest a quenching occurs on freedom of speech, it is indeed in itself not a freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    Actually its a lot more moderate than you might think. You may say I was being sarcastic, yes I was. If you are offended, I apologize, but maybe you would have felt a little of what the others feel as well. At least it made you think, made you see the other point of view
    ya lar...I know how it feel when people are sarcastic to me, that why I try not to do the same thing to others also mah....

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    Perhaps indirectly we needed that wakeup call, we worker ants. In things like the influx of foreign labour we cannot expect the government to place artificial barriers to stop them. We'd lose our competitive edge as a whole. We cannot forget we descended from migrants as well, only during that time, the natives had no means to stop the colonists from claiming this land as their own and making all migrants equal. If English is the global language of trade, that is what we need to be good in. Let's not forget Mandarin - China is poised to be the next big global thing, if it isn't already.
    anyway, I agreeed with what mostly with what you say.... ....but how many people will agreed with this will be hard to tell.....most people just see from a very narrow point of view...

so you're saying that she should not have been flamed? why don't you go take issue with those who flamed her then? you seem to be rebutting everyone and anyone who thinks differently compared to you, and the girl in question
    ya I don't feel that she should be flame....yes she may have written nasty stuff but does flaming her helps?

If i disagree, I just give my views....but did I flame anyone for their opposing views to mine?

ya I don't feel that she should be flame....yes she may have written nasty stuff but does flaming her helps?

If i disagree, I just give my views....but did I flame anyone for their opposing views to mine?
    it seems to me that you feel strongly against the flaming of her, so i'm suggesting that you can consider going after those who flame her. rebutting those who have not flamed her over here doesn't seem to work quite well for you, probably because there's not much issue here for your 'anti flaming' view. you seem to me to be rebutting for the sake of doing it.

it seems to me that you feel strongly against the flaming of her, so i'm suggesting that you can consider going after those who flame her. rebutting those who have not flamed her over here doesn't seem to work quite well for you, probably because there's not much issue here for your 'anti flaming' view. you seem to me to be rebutting for the sake of doing it.
    huh? I don't quite get you....so you mean I should not even give my views here?....I give my view here, people disagree and give their views, I reply and the circle continue.... like that also cannot?

I did not really rebutt what, I just give my views only mah.....

Blog Entries

so those wif no experience r nt supposed to talk or tink at all? so is tis the so called 'freedom of speach' tat many ppl wan?
    those with no experience should go out and get some (experience), instead of making a fool of themselves

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast