Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 327

Thread: Wee are Singapore

  1. #121
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    since other bloggers kena from govt for their remarks
    i think due to all fairness she should also kena from the govt

  2. #122
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    only those with experience can talk and think better
    yes according to me
    so those wif no experience r nt supposed to talk or tink at all? so is tis the so called 'freedom of speach' tat many ppl wan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Seriously though, if we desire a freedom to express, should anyone be condemned for their views in public? How will we promote freedom if we even quash unforgivingly what is said on a private diary(I still consider blogs as this)? Shouldn't every one be entitled to their own views?
    yupz it seem tat many ppl wan freedom of speech....but onli for themselves.....and nt for any other ppl who doesnt share their views.....



    when I post here I already know I will haf many ppl disagreeing wif me.....but this is freedom of speech, at least to me lor......

  3. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    since other bloggers kena from govt for their remarks
    i think due to all fairness she should also kena from the govt
    so if tat the case, alot of bloggers will already kena liao lor.....

  4. #124
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Let's not flog a dead horse any further.

    This girl may not even be in our league, she should play in the kiddie pool first. Out there, GEP and Raffles are but acronyms and an obscure English name.

    She's only 18. A long way to go, mate.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  5. #125
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by shojibake View Post
    When you bitch, prepare to be bitch slapped. If she had any gumption, the blog would have remained up. And with that, everybody can see that a) daddy doesn't want to hurt his chances next election time b) There is no conviction behind her talk c) Quite obviously she knows she knows she's an unfeeling little fart who was beating down upon the common man with her great Western education.
    and there are others who will apply their "Great Western Education" for a greater purpose, like Gayle Goh.

    Now that's sensibility and clarity of thought sadly lacking in most kiddos these days.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  6. #126
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    actually i think the girl in question is both vocal and rude.

    i find no problem with language, like you said how the word 'f***' is being used liberally in some regions (just like 'sucks' )

    what's problematic is not with the language she used, but the intention of the writings, which i felt is rude. she has purposefully targetted her words against others who she probably do not have enough understanding of. freedom is one thing, responsibility is another, she has to take the consequences of her words, if not what kind of freedom is that?

    i don't really consider a blog a private diary, unless it is password protected and accessible only to accounts specified by the blog owner. blogs are easily accessible by public. entitlement to personal thought and views is one thing, expressing it openly in a public environment like the internet is another. it's about responsibility. for example, can a person start a thread on CS titled '???'s Private Blog' and inside it contains malicious contents against members within CS but written in perfect English?
    To me, I tink she has taken the responsibility wif her remarks....before this, she is already easily identifiable fr her blog ...it nt as though she has hide behind some nicknames and post as anoymous person....

    I dun use blog but happen to know a frenz who use blog extensively....to her, she seem to assume tat it is her private diary.... nt sure if all bloggers think this way..

  7. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,021

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11
    so those wif no experience r nt supposed to talk or tink at all? so is tis the so called 'freedom of speach' tat many ppl wan?
    They can think and they can talk out loud about it but they should also be prepared to be straightened out by those who have the experience.

    Let's not forget, Derek Wee wrote his blog post based on his point of view and experiences, so what right has she to slam him based from her lofty position and her point of view? Does she know his situation better than him?


    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11
    yupz it seem tat many ppl wan freedom of speech....but onli for themselves.....and nt for any other ppl who doesnt share their views.....
    No one is clamping your mouth shut and your points of view still remain yours.


    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11
    when I post here I already know I will haf many ppl disagreeing wif me.....but this is freedom of speech, at least to me lor......
    There you have it, your points of view have also received their due airtime. By the way, to quote the famous protagonist of this saga,

    ...... how can you expect to have an iron ricebowl or a solid future if you cannot spell?

    She means you, too.

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by r32 View Post
    There you have it, your points of view have also received their due airtime. By the way, to quote the famous protagonist of this saga,

    ...... how can you expect to have an iron ricebowl or a solid future if you cannot spell?

    She means you, too.
    love this... hahaha...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #129
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by r32 View Post
    There you have it, your points of view have also received their due airtime. By the way, to quote the famous protagonist of this saga,

    ...... how can you expect to have an iron ricebowl or a solid future if you cannot spell?

    She means you, too.


    EL CLASSICO!!!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  10. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    freedom of speech mah....eg. I may nt agree wif wat u say and u may nt agree wif wat u say, I respect wat u say but I wont go to the extent of flaming the person, calling names or hacking her/his account lor..
    To r32, maybe u should read wat I say earlier to wat I mean by 'freedom of speech'.......or u do nt know hw to read?

  11. #131
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    To me, I tink she has taken the responsibility wif her remarks....before this, she is already easily identifiable fr her blog ...it nt as though she has hide behind some nicknames and post as anoymous person....

    I dun use blog but happen to know a frenz who use blog extensively....to her, she seem to assume tat it is her private diary.... nt sure if all bloggers think this way..
    if she accept the consequences of her careless remarks, good for her then. i wrote to show Stoned my disagreement with his views, so i don't know your purpose of quoting me

    i hope your friend writes responsibly and need not be shown the fact that the internet is a very public environment

  12. #132
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    if she accept the consequences of her careless remarks, good for her then. i wrote to show Stoned my disagreement with his views, so i don't know your purpose of quoting me

    i hope your friend writes responsibly and need not be shown the fact that the internet is a very public environment
    my purpose of quoting is also to show my disagreement wif u mah...like many ppl has quote me...

    nah she doesn't abt tis type of things one but more on food...

  13. #133
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    my purpose of quoting is also to show my disagreement wif u mah...like many ppl has quote me...

    nah she doesn't abt tis type of things one but more on food...
    so, what are you disagreeing with? please type logically and legibly.

  14. #134

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    actually i think the girl in question is both vocal and rude.

    i find no problem with language, like you said how the word 'f***' is being used liberally in some regions (just like 'sucks' )

    what's problematic is not with the language she used, but the intention of the writings, which i felt is rude. she has purposefully targetted her words against others who she probably do not have enough understanding of. freedom is one thing, responsibility is another, she has to take the consequences of her words, if not what kind of freedom is that?





    i don't really consider a blog a private diary, unless it is password protected and accessible only to accounts specified by the blog owner. blogs are easily accessible by public. entitlement to personal thought and views is one thing, expressing it openly in a public environment like the internet is another. it's about responsibility. for example, can a person start a thread on CS titled '???'s Private Blog' and inside it contains malicious contents against members within CS but written in perfect English?
    Mmm... you've got some very valid comments here. Moved me to think a little more on the whole situation. I think the clincher is the bit about responsibility for the freedom given(please, nobody quote spiderman now).

    However, I still believe her when she says she didn't expect it to be read by someone who would make a fuss. As a blogger myself, I usually produce blog entries for our friends to read and as far as I know, most blogs are for the purpose of letting friends "catch up" with whatever you've been doing and thinking. Sometimes, s*** happens and you come up with a post like that, thinking no one will read it. Thinking back though, I remember a friend closed his blog because some really cutting comments were said in a post over this issue a lot of us were riled up over and I personally took offense.

    Even good friends can offend each other in the heat of the moment, when everyone's pissed off and ranting and things that shouldn't be said are said. At my age(and also hers), it's terribly common, I assure you. We are passionate youth! Ok, jokes aside, I think if she repeatedly destroyed people in such a manner that would be terrible cause for complaint, but I think if she's learnt her lesson to be more careful about what she says in public in future, I think that's a pretty good cause to move on, rather than dwell on a single failure.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  15. #135
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,021

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    To r32, maybe u should read wat I say earlier to wat I mean by 'freedom of speech'.......or u do nt know hw to read?
    I know very well how to read, and my response to you is based on that. Maybe that's why I don't understand what you say now.

    Please consider it an earnest request that I ask you to rephrase it, maybe I did miss a point?

  16. #136
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    so, what are you disagreeing with? please type logically and legibly.
    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    what's problematic is not with the language she used, but the intention of the writings, which i felt is rude. she has purposefully targetted her words against others who she probably do not have enough understanding of. freedom is one thing, responsibility is another, she has to take the consequences of her words, if not what kind of freedom is that?
    maybe I misread wat u mean? I thought u were saying she was nt responsible? sorry if I make a mistake....and also for my bad english.....


    but if ppl wan to make fun of my english so be it (I nt talking abt u)......

  17. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    Mmm... you've got some very valid comments here. Moved me to think a little more on the whole situation. I think the clincher is the bit about responsibility for the freedom given(please, nobody quote spiderman now).

    However, I still believe her when she says she didn't expect it to be read by someone who would make a fuss. As a blogger myself, I usually produce blog entries for our friends to read and as far as I know, most blogs are for the purpose of letting friends "catch up" with whatever you've been doing and thinking. Sometimes, s*** happens and you come up with a post like that, thinking no one will read it. Thinking back though, I remember a friend closed his blog because some really cutting comments were said in a post over this issue a lot of us were riled up over and I personally took offense.

    Even good friends can offend each other in the heat of the moment, when everyone's pissed off and ranting and things that shouldn't be said are said. At my age(and also hers), it's terribly common, I assure you. We are passionate youth! Ok, jokes aside, I think if she repeatedly destroyed people in such a manner that would be terrible cause for complaint, but I think if she's learnt her lesson to be more careful about what she says in public in future, I think that's a pretty good cause to move on, rather than dwell on a single failure.
    i can fully understand your point of view, but of course i don't agree with having 'not knowing/did not expect' as a valid excuse. i do hope she learnt a good lesson too.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    It's not the vulgarity or choice of words. It's the entire condemning, condescending, insulting tone she chooses to adopt that has no respect for a fellow member of the same society she exist in. Even if in another corner where paths seldom cross.

    Stoned: I think it's rather casual to dismiss such dismissive attitude to culture, even if you can see the inapproriateness. I know enough of people from the "culture" that supposedly have "invaded" ours, but they have way more respect for fellow folks than this young lady has show. Yes, even your generation.
    No no, don't get me wrong, I wasn't talking about the lack of vulgarity as a means of justification. What I meant to say was that other Singaporean youth also commonly condemn and insult others online, albeit in a less articulate fashion. I get your point though and it is tremendously valid, for my view is my own(did I mention subjective), and I don't expect anyone else to share it. Thus is the nature of diversity.

    It actually depends on the person's background as well, even when they come from a more liberal culture. Typically, those you meet in Singapore are those that are more cultured(also more well-off), which is why they're here(probably with some MNC), or they have spent a large amount of time here(enough time to imbibe our values). However, if you were to spend time talking to less well-off(let's use them again) Americans(try those that have never ever been to another county, let alone outside the country), you'd find that quite a number of them speak their mind very freely without worrying whether it will grate on your sensibilities or not. This is where street culture and punk culture spring from; the whole notion that you do whatever you like without giving two hoots about authority. Naturally, most of them wind up in prison, but I hope you can see what I'm getting at.

    I am however willing to concede that it depends very much on the situation and also a person's circumstances. Possibly as well, a person feels empowered online, in ways that they never would feel in person.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  19. #139
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by r32 View Post
    I know very well how to read, and my response to you is based on that. Maybe that's why I don't understand what you say now.

    Please consider it an earnest request that I ask you to rephrase it, maybe I did miss a point?
    eg. I may nt agree wif wat u say and u may nt agree wif wat u say, I respect wat u say but I wont go to the extent of flaming the person, calling names or hacking her/his account lor...... this is wat I called freedom of speech....

    and if u think that by calling her names etc etc will better solve the problem (I not saying you say it), then so be it....

    and if u think being sarcastic about my english make u happy, so be it then also.....not all ppl has as good an education as you have or as well versed in english as you...

  20. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    maybe I misread wat u mean? I thought u were saying she was nt responsible? sorry if I make a mistake....and also for my bad english.....


    but if ppl wan to make fun of my english so be it (I nt talking abt u)......
    i meant that she was irresponsible in her reply to Derek, but for doing that, she has to bear the responsibilities of the resulting reactions.

    i did not say that she ran away from bearing the responsibilities of having 'spoken' irresponsibly, because i do not know exactly what happens after that.

    get it?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •