Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 327

Thread: Wee are Singapore

  1. #101

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    hahaha!!! yeah !! we are the peacekeepers... UN ! if u are seeing this !! faster come and pick us up as peacekeeping agents !!

    we can make ur fighting nations become luffing nations in no time !
    ok.....now you sound like the villian Joker. .....scary........

  2. #102
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    ok.....now you sound like the villian Joker. .....scary........
    hahaha.. no la... use jokes to dispel flames u see... pple come together when they are happy !!

    Laughther peace love and joy !

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Aiya, people who eats Mee Siam with Hum their entire lives will never realise that most of us eat our Mee Siam without Hum one la.

  4. #104
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    i eat ba chor mee with or without liver one !!

    mee siam hum or without also can...

  5. #105

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    i prefer mee rebus. it's nicer. mee siam abit too watery.

  6. #106
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    i prefer mee rebus. it's nicer. mee siam abit too watery.
    not all watery one la.... u come IMM one... not watery one... cheap summore !!

  7. #107

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    not all watery one la.... u come IMM one... not watery one... cheap summore !!
    IMM very crowded. esp during weekends. is like almost impoosible to find parking space at all. i think i know which stall you talking about. is it the one at a corner? and around it are those small stalls selling fishcakes, bubble tea and stuffs? cos i actually when there to eat last week! found their mee rebus and nasi lemak very very nice.

  8. #108
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    IMM very crowded. esp during weekends. is like almost impoosible to find parking space at all. i think i know which stall you talking about. is it the one at a corner? and around it are those small stalls selling fishcakes, bubble tea and stuffs? cos i actually when there to eat last week! found their mee rebus and nasi lemak very very nice.
    YES YES YES !! THAT ONE !!!!!

    got another one.... very cheap and good.. i go find the address and i post it up 2nite.. now at office dun haf the secret dining manuals with me.... aaahaha.. all the nice makan places..

  9. #109

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Actually, OT aside, quite a number of students blogs(those that write about personal stuff) look rather similar to be frank. That being said, she's probably unfortunate that someone happened to read her blog and publicise her post. I certainly do not think that she is the only one that feels that way(though she may have been more acerbic than most in her expression of views), though she is probably the only one that "got caught", I shan't mention other names.

    However, this is a general reflection of what I feel portions of my generation is like. I'll admit I'm guilty of that too sometimes, but it is too casual to simply blame it on education. It has more to do with culture, in some sense, though I'm pretty sure it's due to a myriad of factors associated with increased liberalisation in our society(perhaps a return to traditional chinese values would be better?). Personally I think it's part and parcel of a more vocal society rather than a problem with upbringing or education. With the existence of weblogging today, expressing one's "true" views have never been more prevalent. In fact, if you take a simple browse of teenagers blogs, you will find many similar angst-filled rants, though probably not as well expressed. You generally find blogs that express the same view as "what the f*** was that f***** thinking". Naturally, few people would be comfortable expressing such views in public, unlike somewhere that has been liberalised for quite some time, like America, for instance. In Singapore, much Asian conservatism still exists, though as subjects like drama are beginning to be introduced in schools, we may well see the development of more vocal Singaporeans in future. Vocal does not, by any means, translate to rude or aloof, but rather, it will mean a generation that is not afraid to speak their mind and is adept at speaking their mind with great clarity, even in public. I simply think that Singapore is currently in a period of transition, where such "in your face" postings tend to grate against public sensibilities and hence cause a public uproar. However, as society becomes increasingly liberal, such expressions of thought will become more widely accepted.

    More importantly, I don't know how many of you noticed that it was a rant, but I think in all simplicity that's what it is. Honestly, many of my friend's blogs do read like that on occasion(typically termed random bitching and musing), so perhaps that's why personally I'm not offended outright by such a post. I believe, honestly, that there was no malice intended by such a post, as is true when you "bitch" people(the local term for it is "suan", i think). More often that not, if you don't look at it with so much gravity, it's actually rather humourous. I chuckled a couple of times while reading the post, to be perfectly honest, simply because I didn't start reading the post with the pre-conditioned belief that here was an unfeeling little fart who was beating down upon the common man with her great Western education.

    Seriously though, if we desire a freedom to express, should anyone be condemned for their views in public? How will we promote freedom if we even quash unforgivingly what is said on a private diary(I still consider blogs as this)? Shouldn't every one be entitled to their own views? Why can't we slime PM Lee on prime time television without getting sued as Americans often do on Oprah, or on the Ellen Degeneres show(where Bush is typical cannon fodder)?

    Simply put, our mouths are gagged, if only for the moment. It isn't safe to say more than that.

    On a personal note, I always try to be careful of what I say in public(even here) and refrain from making personal postings on my blog(since you may never know who reads it).
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  10. #110

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    boy, i was having fun talking about food.


    oh well , anyway, just wanted to share this quite popular blog which was publicised quite some times before(believe some here already know of this blog). www.i-speak.blogdrive.com

    she's 18 yo. sits at the class in front of me during assembly.
    Last edited by satay16; 25th October 2006 at 03:57 PM.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Thanks for sharing satay16 *off to have fun*
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  12. #112

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Thanks for sharing satay16 *off to have fun*
    going to imm?

  13. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    going to imm?
    adam go find eve lah... as for the itinery, u have to take your 300mm & follow along...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    Actually, OT aside, quite a number of students blogs(those that write about personal stuff) look rather similar to be frank. That being said, she's probably unfortunate that someone happened to read her blog and publicise her post. I certainly do not think that she is the only one that feels that way(though she may have been more acerbic than most in her expression of views), though she is probably the only one that "got caught", I shan't mention other names.

    However, this is a general reflection of what I feel portions of my generation is like. I'll admit I'm guilty of that too sometimes, but it is too casual to simply blame it on education. It has more to do with culture, in some sense, though I'm pretty sure it's due to a myriad of factors associated with increased liberalisation in our society(perhaps a return to traditional chinese values would be better?). Personally I think it's part and parcel of a more vocal society rather than a problem with upbringing or education. With the existence of weblogging today, expressing one's "true" views have never been more prevalent. In fact, if you take a simple browse of teenagers blogs, you will find many similar angst-filled rants, though probably not as well expressed. You generally find blogs that express the same view as "what the f*** was that f***** thinking". Naturally, few people would be comfortable expressing such views in public, unlike somewhere that has been liberalised for quite some time, like America, for instance. In Singapore, much Asian conservatism still exists, though as subjects like drama are beginning to be introduced in schools, we may well see the development of more vocal Singaporeans in future. Vocal does not, by any means, translate to rude or aloof, but rather, it will mean a generation that is not afraid to speak their mind and is adept at speaking their mind with great clarity, even in public. I simply think that Singapore is currently in a period of transition, where such "in your face" postings tend to grate against public sensibilities and hence cause a public uproar. However, as society becomes increasingly liberal, such expressions of thought will become more widely accepted.
    actually i think the girl in question is both vocal and rude.

    i find no problem with language, like you said how the word 'f***' is being used liberally in some regions (just like 'sucks' )

    what's problematic is not with the language she used, but the intention of the writings, which i felt is rude. she has purposefully targetted her words against others who she probably do not have enough understanding of. freedom is one thing, responsibility is another, she has to take the consequences of her words, if not what kind of freedom is that?



    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    More importantly, I don't know how many of you noticed that it was a rant, but I think in all simplicity that's what it is. Honestly, many of my friend's blogs do read like that on occasion(typically termed random bitching and musing), so perhaps that's why personally I'm not offended outright by such a post. I believe, honestly, that there was no malice intended by such a post, as is true when you "bitch" people(the local term for it is "suan", i think). More often that not, if you don't look at it with so much gravity, it's actually rather humourous. I chuckled a couple of times while reading the post, to be perfectly honest, simply because I didn't start reading the post with the pre-conditioned belief that here was an unfeeling little fart who was beating down upon the common man with her great Western education.

    Seriously though, if we desire a freedom to express, should anyone be condemned for their views in public? How will we promote freedom if we even quash unforgivingly what is said on a private diary(I still consider blogs as this)? Shouldn't every one be entitled to their own views? Why can't we slime PM Lee on prime time television without getting sued as Americans often do on Oprah, or on the Ellen Degeneres show(where Bush is typical cannon fodder)?

    Simply put, our mouths are gagged, if only for the moment. It isn't safe to say more than that.

    On a personal note, I always try to be careful of what I say in public(even here) and refrain from making personal postings on my blog(since you may never know who reads it).
    i don't really consider a blog a private diary, unless it is password protected and accessible only to accounts specified by the blog owner. blogs are easily accessible by public. entitlement to personal thought and views is one thing, expressing it openly in a public environment like the internet is another. it's about responsibility. for example, can a person start a thread on CS titled '???'s Private Blog' and inside it contains malicious contents against members within CS but written in perfect English?

  15. #115

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    It's not the vulgarity or choice of words. It's the entire condemning, condescending, insulting tone she chooses to adopt that has no respect for a fellow member of the same society she exist in. Even if in another corner where paths seldom cross.

    Stoned: I think it's rather casual to dismiss such dismissive attitude to culture, even if you can see the inapproriateness. I know enough of people from the "culture" that supposedly have "invaded" ours, but they have way more respect for fellow folks than this young lady has show. Yes, even your generation.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Btw, I have this to say to the young lady's MP father's defence. From the examples of blogs being singled out by our leaders (for good reasons), this is double standards. If they are meant to be private, the leaders have no reason to single them out for any reason. Applying double standards is unbecoming of a leader.

  17. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Btw, I have this to say to the young lady's MP father's defence. From the examples of blogs being singled out by our leaders (for good reasons), this is double standards. If they are meant to be private, the leaders have no reason to single them out for any reason. Applying double standards is unbecoming of a leader.
    Agree with complete allegiance... can i name u my brother?

    for the very fact that MrBrown was shot down for his unpolitical podcast, then the arrowing of talkingcork, i wonder how come its only that they listen to the views of those who sing to their tune than to understand the people who voted for them.

    /time to go for my brainwashing session...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    It's not the vulgarity or choice of words. It's the entire condemning, condescending, insulting tone she chooses to adopt that has no respect for a fellow member of the same society she exist in. Even if in another corner where paths seldom cross.

    Stoned: I think it's rather casual to dismiss such dismissive attitude to culture, even if you can see the inapproriateness. I know enough of people from the "culture" that supposedly have "invaded" ours, but they have way more respect for fellow folks than this young lady has show. Yes, even your generation.
    Actually if she is going to be our so called 'future leaders' since her dad was our 'leader' or maybe 'section leader'... do you guys think how would you be under her lead then? when she even shot down her maybe 同姓,五百年前一家人 '500 years ago same family' member? who knows that uncle wee might even be her uncle... its just funny that her almighty thoughts that if anyone who have her same surname who is of lower class is like a disgrace to her... and who just gave her an imperial status anyway?

    She lacks of not just tact, she lack of alot of things, manners, empathy, social awareness, just to name a few... and i might be shot down here... but who cares... there is a saying... 上梁不正下梁歪,if the school taught her these, i guess we all would know what to do in the future, and for the better of our future... if its otherwise, then may god help us all... just got reminded of the class system in india, long long time ago in a time far far away (showing at a school near you)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #119
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    aiyah.... long run short run also must run... u no money wad, so like that lor.. my show no sponsor la.. if not i do swee swee for you...

    so.. u wan put turbo ? no $ ah ? put turbo sound lo... no need turbo engine... look fast sound fast can already... pple see u also scared.. even if taxi driver win also nevermind... pple still think u fast...

    ah hock ah ! bring the catelog over !! the ketelog la !!

  20. #120

    Default Re: Wee are Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    I believe, honestly, that there was no malice intended by such a post, as is true when you "bitch" people(the local term for it is "suan", i think). More often that not, if you don't look at it with so much gravity, it's actually rather humourous. I chuckled a couple of times while reading the post, to be perfectly honest, simply because I didn't start reading the post with the pre-conditioned belief that here was an unfeeling little fart who was beating down upon the common man with her great Western education.
    When you bitch, prepare to be bitch slapped. If she had any gumption, the blog would have remained up. And with that, everybody can see that a) daddy doesn't want to hurt his chances next election time b) There is no conviction behind her talk c) Quite obviously she knows she knows she's an unfeeling little fart who was beating down upon the common man with her great Western education.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •