Thread: Can the Canon 710IS and the Lumix FZ7 give a shallow DOF

Default Can the Canon 710IS and the Lumix FZ7 give a shallow DOF

Thinking of getting either the Canon 710IS or the Lumix FZ7. Does any of these cameras give a shallow DOF? Thought I might have read somewhere that the FZ7 might be able to do this.

Understand also that sensor size plays a part in DOF besides the focal length, subject to camera distance, aperture size but how big is big for the sensor size to give a shallow DOF of how small is small that it gives you a deep DOF?

Thnx!

Default Re: Can the Canon 710IS and the Lumix FZ7 give a shallow DOF

Quote Originally Posted by Aljazz View Post
    Thinking of getting either the Canon 710IS or the Lumix FZ7. Does any of these cameras give a shallow DOF? Thought I might have read somewhere that the FZ7 might be able to do this.

Understand also that sensor size plays a part in DOF besides the focal length, subject to camera distance, aperture size but how big is big for the sensor size to give a shallow DOF of how small is small that it gives you a deep DOF?

Thnx!
    P n S, not easy to get DOF.
    Only way you can get it is with fast lens. (low aperture)
    Or rather how you place your subject n between the background.
    Eg. you have your subject in an open field, focus on the subject, you get DOF.
    If you have your subject just behind a wall, even with a SLR, you can't get much DOF.
    You need to know more about the fundamental of photography first, before talking about the camera limitations.
    Canon EOS 50D 24-105mm f4 L IS 70-200mm f/4 IS L 50mm f/1.8

GO for largest apreature with with the closest focusing distance and longest focla length to minimise the DOF
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

What i did is to use macro mode and go really close to the subject

Not sure how would people rate these, but here is a shot as a newbie.

Note that have a little CA on rims of petals
    Using F2.8 and 1/100 if i not mistaken

Read that can also use tele-macro mode but have yet to try out Exams are near