Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full body checkup - where to recommend?

Default Re: Full body checkup - where to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Seriously, just go to a polyclinic, it is so cheap. My last test only cost S$26.40.

My friend's Aunt has been going to Polyclinic for checkup every 6 mths for the past 10+ years. Most recently, she decided to have her checkup done at a hospital and she was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. Doctor at the hospital gave her a couple of months to live. Apparently the folks at the Polyclinic did not pick this up... Very sad.

Hi behyx, take note of blood test, some places does partial blood test. Go for those which do full blood test.

vince123123
    Guests

I'm not a doctor, but I would suppose cancer won't be picked up in these standard tests, whether done in a polyclinic or hospital. Maybe the hospital did a test that the polyclinic didn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango3 View Post
    My friend's Aunt has been going to Polyclinic for checkup every 6 mths for the past 10+ years. Most recently, she decided to have her checkup done at a hospital and she was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. Doctor at the hospital gave her a couple of months to live. Apparently the folks at the Polyclinic did not pick this up... Very sad.

Thanks to tipoff from madmacs, I called up PathLab to check their packages.

There is currently a 20% discount for a package call 18KS which costs $170 which consists of 42 tests.

Overcall all should cost about $130++ after discount. Think this is comprehensive enough for me.

BTW, their office is at:

45 Kallang Pudding
    #05-01/04 Alpha Building

Tel: 6742-9011

HTH
    Last edited by alba; 29th December 2006 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post

There is currently a 20% discount for a package call 18KS which costs $170 which consists of 42 tests.

Overcall all should cost about $130++ after discount. Think this is comprehensive enough for me.

BTW, their office is at:

45 Kallang Pudding
    #05-01/04 Alpha Building

Tel: 6472-9011

HTH
    you are welcome did they also tell you every other person you bring along gets additional 5% off? up to 5 ppl i think.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post

BTW, their office is at:

45 Kallang Pudding
    #05-01/04 Alpha Building

Tel: 6472-9011

HTH

hi.. the pricing looks attractive.. me also currently looking to do a comprehensive test...
    any feedback on the checkup with this lab??

hi all,

just a few points from "inside the industry". (disclaimer: please have an in-person consultation from a doctor. this is casual advice)

first, there are a lot of screening packages available for consumers to choose from. most of them are rather expensive (over $100) and may include tests that may not be needed most of the time. there are essential tests and optional tests. which ones you opt for depend on your budget and how "KS" you want to be. always seek a doctor-based or hospital-based package. these all include a consultation with a doctor who will explain your results to you. sometimes, on the report the numbers may be reported as abnormal. however, based on your current health, other problems and other factors such as your age, these "abnormal" values may be acceptable for your current status, and a qualified doctor will explain this to you.

the essential tests are as follows:
    Full Blood Count
    Urea and Electrolytes
    Fasting Blood Lipids
    Fasting Blood Sugar
    Blood Pressure Measurement
    Height and Weight
    Faecal Occult Blood
    Urine Dipstick
    Simple Vision testing

these are sufficient to tell if there are numerous common problems present such as, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, weight problems, and sometimes even kidney problems among others. These diseases are all risk factors for heart problems and stroke in the future. Faecal occult blood testing is a screening for colon cancer which is the most common cancer in Singapore. A positive test DOES NOT mean you 100% have colon cancer. Blood in the stool can be caused by simple things like piles. But a positive test will alert a doctor to recommend further testing if needed. a colonoscopy/flexible sigmoidoscopy can be considered in your package. it is much more useful but is pricier and mildly uncomfortable to many.

Some tests are indicated depending on your gender. Females should opt for p-a-p smears and mammograms according to a specific schedule for their age. Males may want to test for PSA which is a marker for prostate problems and allow a doctor to examine them.

The rest of the packages may include other tests such as abdominal ultrasounds, cancer marker testing and urine testing. some are not needed unless you already have conditions such as hepatitis. similarly, if you are sexually active or have certain risk factors you may want to screen for certain diseases as well. a doctor would take your history from you and recommend the best tests available for you.

the bottomline is that screening is not fool-proof. for example, if you are a security guard at the airport, sometimes you stop people for questioning because they seem suspicious. however, sometimes you will miss a terrorist as well. if you are too careful, and detain everyone, then you will make the whole country very kanchiong even though most are not terrorists. therefore more tests may not be better. it is unfortunate that sometimes conditions like cancer go undetected. screening does not find 100% of problems as we are only looking at the common ones, and even so sometimes blood tests may not reveal the problem. but going for screening can help you detect common problems that you can do something about in a cost-effective way.

the best advice i can possibly give is to seek a doctor, preferably one who knows your medical history, and ask him to screen and recommend tests for you. most of the essential tests can be done in the GP clinic at a low low cost. the doctor can then tell you about the accuracy and how much you need the other optional tests. this can ensure the best balance between cost-effectiveness and casting a net in the right places. an all-in-one package may not be essential for most of us.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by allsmilez View Post
    hi all,

just a few points from "inside the industry". (disclaimer: please have an in-person consultation from a doctor. this is casual advice)

first, there are a lot of screening packages available for consumers to choose from. most of them are rather expensive (over $100) and may include tests that may not be needed most of the time. there are essential tests and optional tests. which ones you opt for depend on your budget and how "KS" you want to be. always seek a doctor-based or hospital-based package. these all include a consultation with a doctor who will explain your results to you. sometimes, on the report the numbers may be reported as abnormal. however, based on your current health, other problems and other factors such as your age, these "abnormal" values may be acceptable for your current status, and a qualified doctor will explain this to you.

the essential tests are as follows:
    Full Blood Count
    Urea and Electrolytes
    Fasting Blood Lipids
    Fasting Blood Sugar
    Blood Pressure Measurement
    Height and Weight
    Faecal Occult Blood
    Urine Dipstick
    Simple Vision testing

these are sufficient to tell if there are numerous common problems present such as, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, weight problems, and sometimes even kidney problems among others. These diseases are all risk factors for heart problems and stroke in the future. Faecal occult blood testing is a screening for colon cancer which is the most common cancer in Singapore. A positive test DOES NOT mean you 100% have colon cancer. Blood in the stool can be caused by simple things like piles. But a positive test will alert a doctor to recommend further testing if needed. a colonoscopy/flexible sigmoidoscopy can be considered in your package. it is much more useful but is pricier and mildly uncomfortable to many.

Some tests are indicated depending on your gender. Females should opt for p-a-p smears and mammograms according to a specific schedule for their age. Males may want to test for PSA which is a marker for prostate problems and allow a doctor to examine them.

The rest of the packages may include other tests such as abdominal ultrasounds, cancer marker testing and urine testing. some are not needed unless you already have conditions such as hepatitis. similarly, if you are sexually active or have certain risk factors you may want to screen for certain diseases as well. a doctor would take your history from you and recommend the best tests available for you.

the bottomline is that screening is not fool-proof. for example, if you are a security guard at the airport, sometimes you stop people for questioning because they seem suspicious. however, sometimes you will miss a terrorist as well. if you are too careful, and detain everyone, then you will make the whole country very kanchiong even though most are not terrorists. therefore more tests may not be better. it is unfortunate that sometimes conditions like cancer go undetected. screening does not find 100% of problems as we are only looking at the common ones, and even so sometimes blood tests may not reveal the problem. but going for screening can help you detect common problems that you can do something about in a cost-effective way.

the best advice i can possibly give is to seek a doctor, preferably one who knows your medical history, and ask him to screen and recommend tests for you. most of the essential tests can be done in the GP clinic at a low low cost. the doctor can then tell you about the accuracy and how much you need the other optional tests. this can ensure the best balance between cost-effectiveness and casting a net in the right places. an all-in-one package may not be essential for most of us.

hope this helps

This just about sums it up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12