Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 124

Thread: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

  1. #61

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    With some people, there is some sorta disconnect between what they are thinking and what they are typing. They may think and speak correctly but type the wrong thing. I remember speaking with someone who would say 'shutter' in conversation but online, would consistenly type 'shuttle'.

  2. #62

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Hi Everyone:

    I learnt a few things from this thread.

    My contribution to the list of confusing words:

    Complain Vs Complaint.
    He complains about the service and will write a complaint letter to the manager.

    Try pronouncing these words and see if the listener can spell the correct word you have just spoken.

    1) Three and Tree
    2) Tick and Thick.

    Very interesting, I had a hard time with the pronunciation.

  3. #63

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    I like shuttle speed.


    .
    Escape velocity!

  4. #64

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Contrary to popular believe, there is "irregardless". It's a new coin between irrespective and regardless, increasingly finding its way to dictionaries. Most English words evolve this way, if not all of them. Just that most Singaporeans, including educators (both those who use it and those who claim it doesn't exist) use it in wrong way.
    Interesting! How should 'irregardless' be used then?
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  5. #65

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hi Everyone:

    I learnt a few things from this thread.

    My contribution to the list of confusing words:

    Complain Vs Complaint.
    He complains about the service and will write a complaint letter to the manager.

    Try pronouncing these words and see if the listener can spell the correct word you have just spoken.

    1) Three and Tree
    2) Tick and Thick.

    Very interesting, I had a hard time with the pronunciation.
    The 'th' pronunciation typically isn't pronounced by people because most Singaporeans are lazy speakers! If pronounced correctly, your tongue will actually slide back between your teeth. Try sticking the tip of your tongue between your teeth and withdrawing it sharply when saying three, it should fix your problem.

    The other big problem amongst Singaporeans is always the fricatives like in fries, which often turns into flies.

    Ironically, this is what makes up the Singaporean accent, poor pronunciation. If you actually wind up pronouncing things clearly, people sometimes mistake it for a foreign accent, because it doesn't sound local.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  6. #66

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    Interesting! How should 'irregardless' be used then?
    Amazingly, there was one episode of the Sopranos - i think it was in Season Five - when Tony Soprano was giving a briefing to his capos and he used the word "irregardless".

    Talking about evolving words, another word that purists refuse to accept is "liaise", which has evolved from "liaison". Personally, I dont like it either, but that's just my opinion.

  7. #67
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hi Everyone:

    I learnt a few things from this thread.

    My contribution to the list of confusing words:

    Complain Vs Complaint.
    He complains about the service and will write a complaint letter to the manager.

    Try pronouncing these words and see if the listener can spell the correct word you have just spoken.

    1) Three and Tree
    2) Tick and Thick.

    Very interesting, I had a hard time with the pronunciation.
    and the word pronunciation is NOT pronouced as proNOUNciation as i believe many would..
    eat. drink. shoot

  8. #68

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Flench Flies anyone?

  9. #69

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Third Sunday View Post
    Amazingly, there was one episode of the Sopranos - i think it was in Season Five - when Tony Soprano was giving a briefing to his capos and he used the word "irregardless".

    Talking about evolving words, another word that purists refuse to accept is "liaise", which has evolved from "liaison". Personally, I dont like it either, but that's just my opinion.
    New words are being coined lah! Its like you're not unable to do something. Double negatives lor.

  10. #70

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    The 'th' pronunciation typically isn't pronounced by people because most Singaporeans are lazy speakers! If pronounced correctly, your tongue will actually slide back between your teeth. Try sticking the tip of your tongue between your teeth and withdrawing it sharply when saying three, it should fix your problem.

    The other big problem amongst Singaporeans is always the fricatives like in fries, which often turns into flies.

    Ironically, this is what makes up the Singaporean accent, poor pronunciation. If you actually wind up pronouncing things clearly, people sometimes mistake it for a foreign accent, because it doesn't sound local.
    Hello Stoned:

    Thanks for your pointer. It works!!


    I find this interesting:

    Opinion is acutally pronunce as "A"pinion. But many like to say "O"pinion.

  11. #71

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    And it's A-LO-Y-SIUS, not A-LOY-SIUS.

    COLLeague and not ColLEAGUE.

    But if you look at the Indonesians, they adapt to a more effective way of expressing themselves very quickly.

    The English world should as well.

  12. #72
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    colleague is pronounced as "ke-league" (or ca-league) IIRC..

    anyway when did this change from a spelling thread to a pronounciation thread?! lol
    eat. drink. shoot

  13. #73

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    The 'th' pronunciation typically isn't pronounced by people because most Singaporeans are lazy speakers! If pronounced correctly, your tongue will actually slide back between your teeth. Try sticking the tip of your tongue between your teeth and withdrawing it sharply when saying three, it should fix your problem.

    The other big problem amongst Singaporeans is always the fricatives like in fries, which often turns into flies.

    Ironically, this is what makes up the Singaporean accent, poor pronunciation. If you actually wind up pronouncing things clearly, people sometimes mistake it for a foreign accent, because it doesn't sound local.

    Actually, I don't think it's because we are lazy speakers, more so that Sino-based languages do not require the speaker to place his tongue between the teeth or up to the palate.

    You'll find that it's not just Singaporeans, but Chinese speakers in general.

    It's a two-way thing actually, my friends say I speak Chinese funny....

  14. #74

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    colleague is pronounced as "ke-league" (or ca-league) IIRC..

    anyway when did this change from a spelling thread to a pronounciation thread?! lol

    It's all related, anyway colleague thing reminds me of the po-tae-to, po-tah-to arguments of old.

  15. #75

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    colleague is pronounced as "ke-league" (or ca-league) IIRC..
    Should be pronounced [kol-eeg]

  16. #76

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    and the word pronunciation is NOT pronouced as proNOUNciation as i believe many would..
    Hello Star:

    Do you have any more, I think its time we learn to pronounce our words correctly.

    Here's a useful website to help us.

    www.938live.sg
    Click on Engilsh at Work and then click on past issues of Engish at Work.

  17. #77
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Hello Star:

    Do you have any more, I think its time we learn to pronounce our words correctly.

    Here's a useful website to help us.

    www.938live.sg
    Click on Engilsh at Work and then click on past issues of Engish at Work.
    BBC news...
    eat. drink. shoot

  18. #78

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    "eh! es-kew me ah! can BORROW me your cambler? neh, your Neekong D70s cambler! i want to go SUANA first then later go take peekchur. har? what is SUANA? you sua ke is it?! SUANA la! that hot hot place u go inside to sweat one la! aiyo you so stupid leh!"

  19. #79

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
    "eh! es-kew me ah! can BORROW me your cambler? neh, your Neekong D70s cambler! i want to go SUANA first then later go take peekchur. har? what is SUANA? you sua ke is it?! SUANA la! that hot hot place u go inside to sweat one la! aiyo you so stupid leh!"
    wah lau, you spell like that... wait you kenah huntam by the now famous Ms Wee (see Wee are Singapore thread) like that spelling, sure no iron rice bowl!!!

  20. #80

    Default Re: It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Actually, I don't think it's because we are lazy speakers, more so that Sino-based languages do not require the speaker to place his tongue between the teeth or up to the palate.

    You'll find that it's not just Singaporeans, but Chinese speakers in general.

    It's a two-way thing actually, my friends say I speak Chinese funny....
    You have a point, but I always believe such things can be trained. For instance, I have quite a number of friends who speak perfectly enunciated chinese and English. I can't say the same for myself because my Chinese is horrendous and is chiefly limited to casual conversation and ordering food.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •