Thread: Advice needed on driving up to Cameron Highlands from KL

Default Advice needed on driving up to Cameron Highlands from KL

As above..

How long will it takes to drive from KL to Cameron Highlands?

And how is the weather up there during mid-Nov? Will it be rainy or hazy?

Advice needed. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice needed on driving up to Cameron Highlands from KL

get enough rest
    have frequent rest stops
    lock your doors
    send your car for a check up

or take a luxury coach and sleep all the way

Blog Entries

ooops i did not see the from KL part

Quote Originally Posted by behyx View Post
    As above..

How long will it takes to drive from KL to Cameron Highlands?

And how is the weather up there during mid-Nov? Will it be rainy or hazy?

Advice needed. Thanks!
    I dun really recommend driving up there during the monsoon seasons as landslides are extremely common on Cameron Highlands. I remember it took me like 2-3hrs driving from Puchong (north of KL).

Try to drive slower if you are not used to multiple cornerings especially down hill. The roads there tends to be "wet" so make sure your tires are properly pumped.

Hi, i will be driving from KL to cameron(by using the new route up the highlands) too this thurs, i think the journey about 3.5 - 4hrs(esp add in if you are not too sure the route)

Thanks guys

Will the weather be bad during end of year, nov?

Blog Entries

Thanks guys

Will the weather be bad during end of year, nov?
    monsoon season

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    monsoon season
    And so i will expect lotsa low hanging clouds and rain?

Blog Entries

And so i will expect lotsa low hanging clouds and rain?
    yup, that is normally the case

I went up there twice. Dec 05 and June 06. Dec 05, I went alone with my family with an 16 year old Toyota CD but June this year was with Honda Stream. First trip was very tired but not the second trip. I guess the car does make a different. Anyway, it took me about 8 hours to travel back to SIngapore (new road). The weather is cooling. At times rain. Stayed there for two days but only the second day rain during the evening time. My family love the weather there! New road is pretty wide and not as curvy as the old. If you are travelling there the first time, I suggest that you take the new way. Its the Highway towards Ipoh. Just go straight and take the exit no 137 (If I am not wrong). I enjoyed the drive there.

And today is my 7 anniversary... HOW? My wife is tire of handling my 4 young children. Die lah... not a single plan yet.

Quote Originally Posted by toh_u View Post
    I went up there twice. Dec 05 and June 06. Dec 05, I went alone with my family with an 16 year old Toyota CD but June this year was with Honda Stream. First trip was very tired but not the second trip. I guess the car does make a different. Anyway, it took me about 8 hours to travel back to SIngapore (new road). The weather is cooling. At times rain. Stayed there for two days but only the second day rain during the evening time. My family love the weather there! New road is pretty wide and not as curvy as the old. If you are travelling there the first time, I suggest that you take the new way. Its the Highway towards Ipoh. Just go straight and take the exit no 137 (If I am not wrong). I enjoyed the drive there.

And today is my 7 anniversary... HOW? My wife is tire of handling my 4 young children. Die lah... not a single plan yet.
    Wow congrats! 7 anniversary!
    and 4 children, wow huge family isn't it?

Wow congrats! 7 anniversary!
    and 4 children, wow huge family isn't it?
    Wow, 4 kids! The country must give him a medal for his significant contribution to the population growth.

Quote Originally Posted by yymun View Post
    Hi, i will be driving from KL to cameron(by using the new route up the highlands) too this thurs, i think the journey about 3.5 - 4hrs(esp add in if you are not too sure the route)
    OK, I admit I am a fast driver
    I confess I drove about 160km/h (or more since the pointer exceeded the meter) on my Kelisa then.
    But I go up real slow as a passing by lorry on the opposite lane can "push" my car to my left.

Take the new highway as it is less twisty and easier to drive. Try to drive there during day time. The entrance to the new highway is near Simpang Pulai exit before reaching Ipoh. Upon exit the Simpang Pulai toll, you need to turn right (at the traffic light) and look for the Camaron Highland sign. I believe is another turn on your left. The rest of the journey is simple - just follow the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    OK, I admit I am a fast driver
    I confess I drove about 160km/h (or more since the pointer exceeded the meter) on my Kelisa then.
    But I go up real slow as a passing by lorry on the opposite lane can "push" my car to my left.
    Kelisa! 160! goodness it's really dangerous for such a mini car.. I drove a Hyundai Getz in Sweden, only topped at 155km/h before I can feel the car vibrating.. Decided to slow down after that because I don't want anything bad to happen to the 3 girls in my car haha!

I guess travelling on mountain roads can be challenging, as there're lotsa blind spots and there is a need to horn right?

Personally I haven't drive on mountain roads before... So it will be a great experience

Quote Originally Posted by roticanai View Post
    Take the new highway as it is less twisty and easier to drive. Try to drive there during day time. The entrance to the new highway is near Simpang Pulai exit before reaching Ipoh. Upon exit the Simpang Pulai toll, you need to turn right (at the traffic light) and look for the Camaron Highland sign. I believe is another turn on your left. The rest of the journey is simple - just follow the sign.
    Thanks very much for the guide

Yes i will be going by the new road. I want the ride to be as comfortable as possible I care for my passengers

Quote Originally Posted by roticanai View Post
    Correction!!! Make two right turn after Simpang Pulai Exit. First turn is after the toll then first traffic junction after right turn at the toll make another right turn into the mountain area. around 67 km up the mountain, you will reach cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by toh_u View Post
    Correction!!! Make two right turn after Simpang Pulai Exit. First turn is after the toll then first traffic junction after right turn at the toll make another right turn into the mountain area. around 67 km up the mountain, you will reach cameron.
    67km up the mountain? OMG, that is higher than Mt Everest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    67km up the mountain? OMG, that is higher than Mt Everest!!!!
    I mean... 67 km drive from the last turn to reach cemeron highland.

Drove up in April. Great trip but on the way back, saw 2 incident that make me have second thoughts about taking a coach north.

First incident is a less serious one. While coming down the mountain along the old road, just around the waterfall, cannot recall is it before or after. At first saw a bag along the road, then another one, then many many more. Then we see a coach stopped a hundred meters down the road and those poor tourist are running back to see if they can recover the luggages...Not sure if any of the luggages actually had rolled down the cliff. Apparently, the luggage compartment door flipped open while the coach is at the curves.

Second incident is on NSH towards KL, saw a burnt out coach lying sideway off the highway. Did not see any passengers. Must have happened the night before.

We took the new road to Ipoh too, that road is beautiful, but remember if the driver want to look at the scene, stop the car. Never take your eyes off the road while the car is moving.

On that trip, manage to test the top speed of my Sunny VIP with 4 person and full boot to be 170kmh.