Thread: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

Default 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

'Bokeh' of the Arsat 50mm/f2 on Canon 20D.
    Excellent companion to the Canon DSLRs which generally leans toward lower contrast and sharpness to suit colour images. Excellent for wedding pictures ! The bokeh adds a thrill doesn't it. I'm still apalled at the exorbitant prices of Canon lenses for the 'plapt' they deliver. L lenses ? Oh please. Only problem with them is that its not worth the money.

A show of hands. Who likes the bokeh ?

Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

i don't know. perhaps you have a 50 1.4 or 50 1.8 EF lens lying around to compare with?
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by timothychanzl View Post

Excellent companion to the Canon DSLRs which generally leans toward lower contrast and sharpness to suit colour images. Excellent for wedding pictures ! The bokeh adds a thrill doesn't it. I'm still apalled at the exorbitant prices of Canon lenses for the 'plapt' they deliver. L lenses ? Oh please. Only problem with them is that its not worth the money.

I actually prefer the one on my 50/1.4. Frankly though, I'd take a 50/1.8 plastic-fantastic over a 3rd party MF lens anytime. AF made the biggest difference to photography, in my opinion, and subsequently the digital format. It does to mine at least.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

I don't really like it either. It sort of drew my attention to the 'bokeh' instead of the main subject. Found that uncomfortable.

Stoned - care to post some pictures taken with your 50/1.4 ? Yes i agree AF is damn useful for buying time. I'll use that when time is a critical factor in capturing the shot.

i do have some samples at f1.4 from 35L if u need some comparisons.. don't quite like the bokeh. just my opinion on the third party lens. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=702

haha. you seem to be a basher of Canon L lenses I wonder why.

Most photog need AF for their shooting requirements. Not many photogs sit around shooting a bowl of vegetable or tomatoes.

[IMG]

Stoned - care to post some pictures taken with your 50/1.4 ? Yes i agree AF is damn useful for buying time. I'll use that when time is a critical factor in capturing the shot.
    Well actually, not really. I don't shoot to test bokeh, though I do have shots from my 50/1.4 that exhibit a shallow DOF, and hence display the bokeh. Neither do I think you should buy lenses because of bokeh. I generally find discussions about photography more stimulating rather than discussions over equipment.

I most certainly wouldn't post images to look at the bokeh under critique corner, possibly under some tech talk subforum.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

I bash 'L' lenses simply because they are exorbitantly priced.

Maybe you can recommend some good NOT-overpriced lenses but on par with L lenses performance for us? (Must have AF since it is popular and also for fairer comparison)

I bash 'L' lenses simply because they are exorbitantly priced.
    Last edited by canongrapherL; 24th October 2006 at 07:35 AM.