Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

  1. #1

    Default 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2



    'Bokeh' of the Arsat 50mm/f2 on Canon 20D.
    Excellent companion to the Canon DSLRs which generally leans toward lower contrast and sharpness to suit colour images. Excellent for wedding pictures ! The bokeh adds a thrill doesn't it. I'm still apalled at the exorbitant prices of Canon lenses for the 'plapt' they deliver. L lenses ? Oh please. Only problem with them is that its not worth the money.



    A show of hands. Who likes the bokeh ?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    i don't know. perhaps you have a 50 1.4 or 50 1.8 EF lens lying around to compare with?
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  3. #3

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    Quote Originally Posted by timothychanzl View Post


    'Bokeh' of the Arsat 50mm/f2 on Canon 20D.
    Excellent companion to the Canon DSLRs which generally leans toward lower contrast and sharpness to suit colour images. Excellent for wedding pictures ! The bokeh adds a thrill doesn't it. I'm still apalled at the exorbitant prices of Canon lenses for the 'plapt' they deliver. L lenses ? Oh please. Only problem with them is that its not worth the money.



    A show of hands. Who likes the bokeh ?
    I actually prefer the one on my 50/1.4. Frankly though, I'd take a 50/1.8 plastic-fantastic over a 3rd party MF lens anytime. AF made the biggest difference to photography, in my opinion, and subsequently the digital format. It does to mine at least.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  4. #4

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    I don't really like it either. It sort of drew my attention to the 'bokeh' instead of the main subject. Found that uncomfortable.
    ________________________________________
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54331462@N00/

  5. #5

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    Stoned - care to post some pictures taken with your 50/1.4 ? Yes i agree AF is damn useful for buying time. I'll use that when time is a critical factor in capturing the shot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland, Finland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    i do have some samples at f1.4 from 35L if u need some comparisons.. don't quite like the bokeh. just my opinion on the third party lens. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=702

  7. #7

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    haha. you seem to be a basher of Canon L lenses I wonder why.

    Most photog need AF for their shooting requirements. Not many photogs sit around shooting a bowl of vegetable or tomatoes.






    Quote Originally Posted by timothychanzl View Post
    [IMG]

    'Bokeh' of the Arsat 50mm/f2 on Canon 20D.
    Excellent companion to the Canon DSLRs which generally leans toward lower contrast and sharpness to suit colour images. Excellent for wedding pictures ! The bokeh adds a thrill doesn't it. I'm still apalled at the exorbitant prices of Canon lenses for the 'plapt' they deliver. L lenses ? Oh please. Only problem with them is that its not worth the money.



    A show of hands. Who likes the bokeh ?

  8. #8

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    Quote Originally Posted by timothychanzl View Post
    Stoned - care to post some pictures taken with your 50/1.4 ? Yes i agree AF is damn useful for buying time. I'll use that when time is a critical factor in capturing the shot.
    Well actually, not really. I don't shoot to test bokeh, though I do have shots from my 50/1.4 that exhibit a shallow DOF, and hence display the bokeh. Neither do I think you should buy lenses because of bokeh. I generally find discussions about photography more stimulating rather than discussions over equipment.

    I most certainly wouldn't post images to look at the bokeh under critique corner, possibly under some tech talk subforum.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  9. #9

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    I bash 'L' lenses simply because they are exorbitantly priced.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

    Maybe you can recommend some good NOT-overpriced lenses but on par with L lenses performance for us? (Must have AF since it is popular and also for fairer comparison)


    Quote Originally Posted by timothychanzl View Post
    I bash 'L' lenses simply because they are exorbitantly priced.
    Last edited by canongrapherL; 24th October 2006 at 07:35 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •