Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    161

    Default Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Hi,

    Just started out on DSLR recently. Was wondering if those model shoots is suitable for newbies? Will the photographers there be free to give advices or usually will be rushing to take their shots?

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    best to get the technique out in a more quieter enviroment first
    once you have it then go for the shoot

  3. #3
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Guess so. Am a newbie too. As long as you ask, you'll be answered (amid the frantic rush for positioning in front of the model, that is).


    Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    Hi,

    Just started out on DSLR recently. Was wondering if those model shoots is suitable for newbies? Will the photographers there be free to give advices or usually will be rushing to take their shots?

  4. #4
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    Hi,

    Just started out on DSLR recently. Was wondering if those model shoots is suitable for newbies? Will the photographers there be free to give advices or usually will be rushing to take their shots?
    Why not? Look out for CHARBY models shoot..like his way of assigning the shoots..on top of that you can learn something from the more experience ones there..i won't say "PRO" lahz..because the term "PRO" is used for photog who shoot for a living..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Icic... Thanks for the great advice so far.

    Is there such thing as a observer for such shoots? Thinking of going to one such shoot to see how it is done so that it will better prepare me for future shoots. Or just go and have a try at an actual shoot... just like on shoot training .. instead of on job training

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    can why not, but i think should play around with your setting first bef your vigin attempt

    btw had anyone use a p&s, 3x zoom cam to take model shoots bef??? wanna noe if any

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    As long as you have the money to spend, why not, actual practice on shooting should gain experience faster. It's only a matter of whether you willing to spend the money, and learn to improve on the next shoot.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  8. #8
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    can why not, but i think should play around with your setting first bef your vigin attempt

    btw had anyone use a p&s, 3x zoom cam to take model shoots bef??? wanna noe if any
    This remind me of someone..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    can why not, but i think should play around with your setting first bef your vigin attempt

    btw had anyone use a p&s, 3x zoom cam to take model shoots bef??? wanna noe if any
    Why can't use a PnS shoot models?
    camera is just a tools, if the person know the PnS camera well, sure can shoot better than many people using a DSLR.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    This remind me of someone..
    hu???

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Why can't use a PnS shoot models?
    camera is just a tools, if the person know the PnS camera well, sure can shoot better than many people using a DSLR.
    no la nothing much just thoughts thru my mind

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    I would suggest you pay to attend model shoots, all you need to do is to concentrate on your camera, not to worry to much on the location, lighting, posing etc.. moreover, some seniors will be very happy to guild you alone.

    However, for beginning, you may ask your friends to pose for you, if no results able to deliver also doesn't matter, but you will learn slower this way.

    But if you try to find some newbie “models” for TFCD session to practice, it maybe not that ideal and too hard for both parties, cos if you can't get the shot right, and the model can't pose, both are unable to deliver results for the TFCD session.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Thanks catchlights. Thats a great advice. Maybe got chance can learn from you if happen to go for same shoot in future.

    I was thinking that with the seniors guidance, it can shorten my learning curve in terms of proper techniques and setting. By seeing how you guys actually do it, I think I can learn much more. So is there any particular kind of model shoots that will suit newbies.

  13. #13
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    This remind me of someone..
    Hahaha include ME

    Used my S3IS during paid model shoot.

    Kena condemned (Wasting money lar, how to shoot good photo with PnS?, shooting with handicap equipment, doesn't own DSLR come photoshoot for wat, playing a fool?)

    Never bring only ur PnS to photoshoot

    ppl can argue saying its the equipment that matters, but then it's a sad fact
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  14. #14
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    I concur with Catchlights on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I would suggest you pay to attend model shoots, all you need to do is to concentrate on your camera, not to worry to much on the location, lighting, posing etc.. moreover, some seniors will be very happy to guild you alone.

    However, for beginning, you may ask your friends to pose for you, if no results able to deliver also doesn't matter, but you will learn slower this way.

    But if you try to find some newbie “models” for TFCD session to practice, it maybe not that ideal and too hard for both parties, cos if you can't get the shot right, and the model can't pose, both are unable to deliver results for the TFCD session.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Oh btw I am only having kit lens if I am really going for such shoots. Will it be sufficient? Not sure what Lens suits me so did not get any additional ones yet. Got my DSLR recently so kinda tight on budget as well.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    Oh btw I am only having kit lens if I am really going for such shoots. Will it be sufficient? Not sure what Lens suits me so did not get any additional ones yet. Got my DSLR recently so kinda tight on budget as well.
    Do not worry about equipment.

    Any DSLR with a kit lens will be more than sufficient for any model shoots. Specialised lenses are only necessary when you know what type of people imagery you are specifically interested in.

  17. #17
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    Oh btw I am only having kit lens if I am really going for such shoots. Will it be sufficient? Not sure what Lens suits me so did not get any additional ones yet. Got my DSLR recently so kinda tight on budget as well.
    A 50mm prime lens will be great for potraiture..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Well, I started off with my Fujifilm S5500 digital camera (Prosumer) then... You just got to be thick-skinned abit lor... Must dun mind getting trashed by others lor...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    PnS, kit lens also can shoot model, but they are very hard to get shallow depth of view (yet sharp enough to bring out the subject), nice bokeh, contrast of those D/SLR big appeture prime lens.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  20. #20
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Is Model shoot suitable for Newbie?

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    PnS, kit lens also can shoot model, but they are very hard to get shallow depth of view (yet sharp enough to bring out the subject), nice bokeh, contrast of those D/SLR big appeture prime lens.
    Can learn from both ways..learn to pose the models and composition first..i've seen many using top end equipments don't know how to pose models..happily shooting away..get satisfy because picture is sharp, bokeh is nice..but composition and model pose all cannot make it one..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •