Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: wedding photography horror stories

  1. #21

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Sup sup water ? U must be a Cantonese ! Me 2.

    Ayia, later he claims the noise is intentional. It's just that we can't appreciate !
    aiyah....should be "wet wet water" lah....

    Last edited by zaren; 20th October 2006 at 12:52 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  2. #22

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    chey..........
    but I have photographed a bride having mentally distress during her wedding day.........
    huh....what happened to her?
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  3. #23

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Zaren,
    Do share more, please. You could pen down these moments and write a book. Give it a cryptic title and make Singapore laugh, sigh and cry! Not to mention, make some mula too!

  4. #24

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Haha, i oso chey when i saw he read his from a blog. Internet blog... wahaha always read wif a pinch of salt
    heh....not really from a blog....from a forum thread. but yep, gotta take it with a pinch of salt.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  5. #25

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by MLSK View Post
    Zaren,
    Do share more, please. You could pen down these moments and write a book. Give it a cryptic title and make Singapore laugh, sigh and cry! Not to mention, make some mula too!
    aiyo....can get these stories very easily just by googling lah...

    anyway, the idea is to have some laughs as well as to increase awareness of the challenges of wedding photography. so that ppl know what to expect, and how to price for their services.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  6. #26
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    huh....what happened to her?
    occasionally talking to herself, frighten the MUA,
    I think she is well now, met her and her husband one or two years back.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #27

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    occasionally talking to herself, frighten the MUA,
    I think she is well now, met her and her husband one or two years back.
    ok...that's gd to hear. weddings can definitely be stressful not only for the photogs but for the couple also.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  8. #28
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    true. if happens to see couples that demand way too much den the agreed pricing i will also to see the photographer work so hard to fulfill the demand..

    dun worry. if i get married. i will prepare to pay 2.5k for the photographer who can my my wedding pictures swee swee...

    hahaha.. (provided i get married which i doubt so.. )

    and i wun demand this and that. but i expect a good quality also...

  9. #29
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    I once had an experience shooting for fun for a friend - he had a "pro" engaged.

    The "pro" was doing a scene, and I was watching from the side. After that I commented to someone (within his earshot) that it was a good angle and he came up to me and said "You better dont come and copy me arh!".

    Later on, when the main couple was doing something else, I was setting up a cute doggy and kids shot. When I was done setting it up and finished the shot, that guy rushed over like a madman and started snapping at my scene.

    Talk about double standards!

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    lol I SAW ur comments about one guy using a D70 and acting like a pro before u edit it away. Hehe anyway, Singaporeans mah.. Not pro act pro, lousy skill: buy exp camera gear act pro and tok big.

    Proud to be a Singaporean

  10. #30
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    i received this email from a couple 6mths - 8mths ago

    Hi

    May i ask if you are able to do a AD wedding with prints and montage book for $300 ?

    Hope to hear from you again

    Regards
    CXXXXX


    ......... my reaction .........

    i replied.

    Hi

    for $300. i will get my MUA to do make up for you for half a day and i sit at home watch tv and edit photos.

    Regards

  11. #31
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I once had an experience shooting for fun for a friend - he had a "pro" engaged.

    The "pro" was doing a scene, and I was watching from the side. After that I commented to someone (within his earshot) that it was a good angle and he came up to me and said "You better dont come and copy me arh!".

    Later on, when the main couple was doing something else, I was setting up a cute doggy and kids shot. When I was done setting it up and finished the shot, that guy rushed over like a madman and started snapping at my scene.

    Talk about double standards!
    same thing i encountered in my last week wedding dinner as a observing guest....

    but no dog. so different event then.. =P

    but i must say the pro did a rather good job if i wwas to keep aside his irresponsibility... he promised my uncle's table to do a reshoot because someone was missing because he went to the toilet.

    when the person came back. the photographer was informed that the table wanted to do a reshoot. den he said 'wait ah wait ah.. " after that.. he walk one round.... and sit down and chimp on his d200 again.... and call him 2nd time... he said the same thing, did the same thing, but took a few candids and went back chimping...

  12. #32
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    ok...that's gd to hear. weddings can definitely be stressful not only for the photogs but for the couple also.
    Yes, weddings can be very stressful to everyone, but for this bride, I believe her medical history is even longer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    I wrote about some of my stories before, but here goes again...

    1. Groom (a friend) kept telling me to control the number of shots throughout the entire dinner. I ended up taking ony 2 rolls for the night. Usually take about 10 rolls for other clients. Walked around with him from table to table like an idiot because I had to wait for his signal before I can take a shot. At the end of the dinner groom asks for film so that he can develop them himself. I did not charge him for the service, but he was kind enough to give me an ang pow of $2. Til this day I have not seen the photos.

    2. Couple hired a "pro" videographer and also hired me as the photographer. The videographer thought he knew everything so kept giving me directions on how to take the pictures. During tea ceremony, everytime the couple served tea to some family member he asked them to turn and look at his camera for a few seconds. While he filmed he signalled me to take picture because he thought it was better to have the people looking at the camera. I thought it was so fake and unnatural that I simply ignore him.

    3. Groom's elder brother was badly drunk. While settling the bill after the dinner he kept asking for further discount from the restaurant manager. Manager politely refused so he started demanding louder and louder. Unfortunately manager found a mistake in the bill and admitted he has overcharged. That fired up the drunk brother and he made a big scene, threatening to get his "gang" to the restaurant to mess up the entire place. Even the mother was not able to calm him down. Totally embarrassing for the couple and family members.

    4. While I was the official photographer for a good friend's wedding there were at least 20 relatives who brought their own cameras, using equipment ranging from P&S all the way to F5 with huge Metz flash head. Everyone fought for the best spots during key events like paparazi and I had to work extra hard to try to get the shot I want. That was also the biggest banquet I have ever seen....56 tables.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  14. #34
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Scarly its the same guy - mine was a old-ish guy, maybe late 40s, using a D70. Maybe he upgraded to D200 :P

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    same thing i encountered in my last week wedding dinner as a observing guest....

    but no dog. so different event then.. =P

    but i must say the pro did a rather good job if i wwas to keep aside his irresponsibility... he promised my uncle's table to do a reshoot because someone was missing because he went to the toilet.

    when the person came back. the photographer was informed that the table wanted to do a reshoot. den he said 'wait ah wait ah.. " after that.. he walk one round.... and sit down and chimp on his d200 again.... and call him 2nd time... he said the same thing, did the same thing, but took a few candids and went back chimping...

  15. #35
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    I wrote about some of my stories before, but here goes again...

    1. Groom (a friend) kept telling me to control the number of shots throughout the entire dinner. I ended up taking ony 2 rolls for the night. Usually take about 10 rolls for other clients. Walked around with him from table to table like an idiot because I had to wait for his signal before I can take a shot. At the end of the dinner groom asks for film so that he can develop them himself. I did not charge him for the service, but he was kind enough to give me an ang pow of $2. Til this day I have not seen the photos.

    2. Couple hired a "pro" videographer and also hired me as the photographer. The videographer thought he knew everything so kept giving me directions on how to take the pictures. During tea ceremony, everytime the couple served tea to some family member he asked them to turn and look at his camera for a few seconds. While he filmed he signalled me to take picture because he thought it was better to have the people looking at the camera. I thought it was so fake and unnatural that I simply ignore him.

    3. Groom's elder brother was badly drunk. While settling the bill after the dinner he kept asking for further discount from the restaurant manager. Manager politely refused so he started demanding louder and louder. Unfortunately manager found a mistake in the bill and admitted he has overcharged. That fired up the drunk brother and he made a big scene, threatening to get his "gang" to the restaurant to mess up the entire place. Even the mother was not able to calm him down. Totally embarrassing for the couple and family members.

    4. While I was the official photographer for a good friend's wedding there were at least 20 relatives who brought their own cameras, using equipment ranging from P&S all the way to F5 with huge Metz flash head. Everyone fought for the best spots during key events like paparazi and I had to work extra hard to try to get the shot I want. That was also the biggest banquet I have ever seen....56 tables.
    These are not horror stories..but had a good laugh.. Especially no. 4..20 relatives holding cameras ..1 person take 1 roll of film of 36 shots, will end up with 720 shots, dun tell me cannot pick 100 good ones..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  16. #36

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Don't know whether this is a horror story or a great laugh, but it happened about 15 years ago ...

    I was helping out a friend, who was the wedding planner, to manage the photogrpahers and viedographers and anything and everythign during the day. There was a "disturbance" at the back of the ball room where the ceromony and reception was to take place. A bridesmaid was jumping up and down, looking for a photographer. So, I sent one of the photographer over, he came back with a picture of the groom doing it with another bridesmaid.

    Well, the ceromony did not take place, but everyone got real drunk. My friend sent the bill to the father of the bride, who was supposed to be paying, that was another story ...
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  17. #37

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    well, "pros" always said that equipment doesn't mean anything, but why I keep seeing ppl commenting like 'someone who use D70 and act like a pro'.. well, strange singaporean, do i need to get some equipment to be pro?

    i guess the horror story of wedding photography is the photographer lost all photos taken.

  18. #38
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Don't know whether this is a horror story or a great laugh, but it happened about 15 years ago ...

    I was helping out a friend, who was the wedding planner, to manage the photogrpahers and viedographers and anything and everythign during the day. There was a "disturbance" at the back of the ball room where the ceromony and reception was to take place. A bridesmaid was jumping up and down, looking for a photographer. So, I sent one of the photographer over, he came back with a picture of the groom doing it with another bridesmaid.

    Well, the ceromony did not take place, but everyone got real drunk. My friend sent the bill to the father of the bride, who was supposed to be paying, that was another story ...
    Got head no tail..dun even deserve to be a story..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  19. #39

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Got head no tail..dun even deserve to be a story..
    i thought it was damn funny.
    Last edited by zaren; 20th October 2006 at 02:32 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  20. #40

    Default Re: wedding photography horror stories

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Don't know whether this is a horror story or a great laugh, but it happened about 15 years ago ...

    I was helping out a friend, who was the wedding planner, to manage the photogrpahers and viedographers and anything and everythign during the day. There was a "disturbance" at the back of the ball room where the ceromony and reception was to take place. A bridesmaid was jumping up and down, looking for a photographer. So, I sent one of the photographer over, he came back with a picture of the groom doing it with another bridesmaid.

    Well, the ceromony did not take place, but everyone got real drunk. My friend sent the bill to the father of the bride, who was supposed to be paying, that was another story ...
    So bridesmaid A was witnessed it so she jumped up and down to look for photographer? then your photographer got a photo that groom doing it with bridesmaid B?what is 'it'? screwing? then he came back with a picture? do u mean a digital camera 15 years ago?
    then u mean the bride found out and call it off? but somehow people still celebrate?..really confusing story..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •