Thread: Pls recommend travel books to read

Default Pls recommend travel books to read

Hi...am going to be posted overseas so trying to bring some travel books along to while away the time when it gets really boring..besides books such as Lonely Planet...was thinking of getting travel magazines or journals or books where authors detail bits of their journeys and with a reasonable amount of pictures in the books. Would be good research when i want to travel to these places too.

Places I would be interested in are Xinjiang, Tibet,Pakistan, Kashmir, Karakoram highway, South America...

Anyone knows a good place to get such books at a cheaper price and any recommendations of titles?

appreciate it..

Default Re: Pls recommend travel books to read

I've always stuck with Lonely Planet books. Alternatively, you could try looking for travel magazines such as National Geographic Traveller/Adventurer. They usually include wonderful photos too. The libraries keep copies of past issues, or you could try out second hand bookshops.

Frommers have pretty good detail.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

try getting those from the dorling kindersley's eyewitness guides, they are simply superb to know about any places. they are not guides that tell you how to go, but it shows you what to see the illustrations and photos are really worth the price many times
    see my portfolio, for your comments.

Don't think you're looking for guidebooks eh? Plenty of those in the library/bookshops....

Don't think you're looking for travel literature too eh? Like in
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=191475

For travel magazines, yeah, NG Traveller/Adventure is pretty good, though mostly for western destinations...

Quote Originally Posted by nuts View Post
    Don't think you're looking for guidebooks eh? Plenty of those in the library/bookshops....

Don't think you're looking for travel literature too eh? Like in
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=191475

For travel magazines, yeah, NG Traveller/Adventure is pretty good, though mostly for western destinations...
    I am looking for guidebooks too actually...can help in some advance planning for trips...anything else to recommend besides Lonely Planet books? I cant borrow them as I will be away for a long time so only way is to buy them.

Well there's Pico Iyer, but unfortunately no pics...

Quote Originally Posted by boroangel View Post
    I am looking for guidebooks too actually...can help in some advance planning for trips...anything else to recommend besides Lonely Planet books? I cant borrow them as I will be away for a long time so only way is to buy them.
    Check out http://wookup.com/guidebooks.php

If you're the one for reviews, there're even guidebook reviews...
    http://wookup.com/travelnet/index.php/topic,88.0.html

Personally, I've used Footprint guidebooks quite abit and quite like it.
    As mentioned by someone, the DK guidebooks are the ones to get for lots of colourful pictures and great quality paper - definitely buy to keep type...
    Not a fan of Frommers & Fodors...
    If going Europe, should take a look at Rick Steves...

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as "One guidebook to rule them all"

Actually, unless you are going to be posted to somewhere without acess to bookshop ... it is prob easier to buy it when you get there and when you decided on a destination. May be a hassel to carry too many book around.

Of course books may not be chaeper where you are going, then by all means buy them here ...

I am a fan of DK Eyewitness ....

Thanks for all your info...is there some 'best kept secret' bookshop that sells such books at decent prices?

Thanks for all your info...is there some 'best kept secret' bookshop that sells such books at decent prices?
    Haha...if there is one, I also want to know.

Actually, there used to be one...at Marina Square before it got renovated. There was a small bookshop tucked in a corner beside the food court. They were bringing in travel books in bulk and I managed to get quite a number of Lonely Planet titles for about $3 each, which was an incredible steal considering they usually retail for at least ten times that amount.

And I agree with the point about buying your books there. Books are heavy. No point using up your precious luggage weight allocation. Just get one book on the area you are being posted to, and you can definitely find more books on the surrounding regions when you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by redoxsim View Post
    Haha...if there is one, I also want to know.

Actually, there used to be one...at Marina Square before it got renovated. There was a small bookshop tucked in a corner beside the food court. They were bringing in travel books in bulk and I managed to get quite a number of Lonely Planet titles for about $3 each, which was an incredible steal considering they usually retail for at least ten times that amount.

And I agree with the point about buying your books there. Books are heavy. No point using up your precious luggage weight allocation. Just get one book on the area you are being posted to, and you can definitely find more books on the surrounding regions when you're there.
    $3 each...thats cheap!

But my location will be quite ulu so i dont think i can get such books there.

BTW, enjoy your trip to india.

BTW, enjoy your trip to india.
    Thanks. I'm relying on Lonely Planet for that btw

I recall seeing some chinese travel guidebooks with very detailed descriptions and photos of locations in China. If you are comfortable with reading chinese, you might want to try those. I remember seeing a chinese guidebook during my trip to Chengdu that beat even the Lonely Planet guidebook hands down in terms of details (such as recommending sights to visit and how to get there).