Thread: Newbie Decision

Default Newbie Decision

Just back to photography and thot of making a plunge into DSLR. Formerly using Canon EOS50 SLR back 7 years ago when I had to give up due to work and other commitments ... after that just bot a few P&S to just take general pics. For the love of Landscape & Travel shoot, what should I get? 2nd hand to play around or new? I'm looking definitely at staying long-term ... had done so many read up and as newbie, the more I read, the more confused I get Just want some opinion to get the 'feel' on what is the right thing to do & buy.

Option for 2nd hand, buy & play with it and upgrade later -
    1) Body 350Dwith batt grip (I got big hands)
    2) Body 20D with or w/o batt grip

Option for new, dun need headache about new body -
    1) 30D

Lens, I'm lost but in those days I have a few 3rd party ones from Sigma.

Accessories, need recommendations from Landscape gurus.

ps. Actually I'm tempted to jump ship from Canon to Nikon ... had never own a Nikon before but 'play' with it only. So I'm open to argument & suggestions ...

No flaming or unwarranted remarks about each Bros' posting please.
    Just for newbies who wanna know more and learn something.

Thanks Bros/Sis for reading (abit chiong hei hor? ) and your time in advance.
    Last edited by SabaDen; 19th October 2006 at 01:20 PM.
    D700|D300|24-70 f2.8|28-300 VRII|20-35 f/2.8|85 f/1.4|18-200VR|Toki 100 f/2.8 Macro|

Default Re: Newbie Decision

Hmmm ... nobody can help?
    D700|D300|24-70 f2.8|28-300 VRII|20-35 f/2.8|85 f/1.4|18-200VR|Toki 100 f/2.8 Macro|

It's actually you own decision bro. If you want to save on the body and spend more on your lenses, get a second hand body. If you are particular, then get a brand new set. Both the C & N brands are good. It's up to you which one you choose. I would suggest that you read up on the specs of the different cams you have in mind and do a comparison to see which suits you better. What you want may not be what you need. Go have a feel of the cams you have in mind too. See if the cams sit comfortably in your hand and if you are comfortable 'playing' with it. If you are already a Canon user why don't you stick to it cos you are already familiar with the system and probably can save some $ on lenses by using your existing ones.

Just my two cents worth as i'm a newbie and still learning too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    It's actually you own decision bro. If you want to save on the body and spend more on your lenses, get a second hand body. If you are particular, then get a brand new set. Both the C & N brands are good. It's up to you which one you choose. I would suggest that you read up on the specs of the different cams you have in mind and do a comparison to see which suits you better. What you want may not be what you need. Go have a feel of the cams you have in mind too. See if the cams sit comfortably in your hand and if you are comfortable 'playing' with it. If you are already a Canon user why don't you stick to it cos you are already familiar with the system and probably can save some $ on lenses by using your existing ones.

Just my two cents worth as i'm a newbie and still learning too.
    I agree with Galdor with regards to being familiar with the Canon system and the ability to reuse your existing lenses. I too took a break from photography and was using the EOS 500N. I decided to get a Canon again becoz of the above reasons.

As to the difference between C & N, its really up to your own preference. I suggest you bring a memory card (for each type of system) and try out each of the systems available and bring home to images for closer "inspection". Besides the look and feel to it, also consider how comfortable you are with the system and accessories available.

As to whether to buy 2nd or new, it really depends on your budget. If you're particular, then get new, else 2nd is also a good option. Also consider your existing lens ranges and if you need to purchase any other hardware. That might tip the balance one way or another.

Cheers

Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

my 2 cents

since you already have a canon system, from the old camera, might as well keep it and retain with the system ?

although 30d might sound more sensible as you will buy new and you will not think of things likes expanded shutter and etc etc.

but on the budget side. 20d is good choice. try to go for oems, 3rd party lenses just depreciate too fast... not worth of a value to buy eiither.