Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    681

    Default Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Hi Guys,

    I hope to get some feedback from members who use the 18-200mm for zoo.
    It will be good if you could share some of your Zoo picture taken from a 18-200mm len.

    Thanks.....
    Last edited by shark; 19th October 2006 at 07:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I hope to get some feedback from members who use the 18-200mm for zoo.
    It will be good if you could share some of your Aoo picture taken from a 18-200mm len.

    Thanks.....

    Sorry, don't get what you want to know. Do you want to know if the focal length long enough, or the lense sharpness or are you able to handhold it etc etc. Please be more specific. Depending on what you like to shoot, any lense is useable.

    BTW, which brand are you refering to??
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  3. #3

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    only good for shooting big animals. if you want close-up of the face etc, or to fill the frame with a smaller animal, 300mm might be a better range.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    only good for shooting big animals. if you want close-up of the face etc, or to fill the frame with a smaller animal, 300mm might be a better range.
    Thanks for the reply. Will maybe go for the 70-300 range. Is F4-5.6 bright enough?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Sorry, don't get what you want to know. Do you want to know if the focal length long enough, or the lense sharpness or are you able to handhold it etc etc. Please be more specific. Depending on what you like to shoot, any lense is useable.

    BTW, which brand are you refering to??
    Sorry. I mean the focal length.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I hope to get some feedback from members who use the 18-200mm for zoo.
    It will be good if you could share some of your Zoo picture taken from a 18-200mm len.

    Thanks.....
    Nikon D200 + 18-200...

    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

    I dont feel impressed by the big gears, i even shoot with a kit lens of D80, animals like it

  7. #7

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I hope to get some feedback from members who use the 18-200mm for zoo.
    It will be good if you could share some of your Zoo picture taken from a 18-200mm len.

    Thanks.....
    This picture was made last week with the D80-Kit lens ( 18-135) !.....


  8. #8

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    This one was taken with Sigma 70-300mm..



    Check out my gallery

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Thanks for all who have share their wonderful picture with me.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by mlaphoto View Post
    This one was taken with Sigma 70-300mm..



    Check out my gallery
    Hi Pal,

    Are you using the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO? Apart from using it for Zoo photography. What other photography is it useful for?
    Last edited by shark; 19th October 2006 at 11:16 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Hi Pal,

    Are you using the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO? Apart from using it for Zoo photography. What other photography is it useful for?
    Yes, I find it useful in portrait photography..I haven't tried to use it in sports but in fashion well, it is really a let down especially in focusing. On the brighter side this lens is a good one to have for a beginner like me..

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by mlaphoto View Post
    Yes, I find it useful in portrait photography..I haven't tried to use it in sports but in fashion well, it is really a let down especially in focusing. On the brighter side this lens is a good one to have for a beginner like me..

    Do you think having a larger aperture like the 70-200mm F/2.8 will help in the focusing?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Do you think having a larger aperture like the 70-200mm F/2.8 will help in the focusing?
    i think so...f2.8 is a fast lens..if your talking of canon they have their ULTRASONIC motor (usm) and for Sigma they have HYPER SONIC MOTOR (HSM) which helps on focusing issue..

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by mlaphoto View Post
    i think so...f2.8 is a fast lens..if your talking of canon they have their ULTRASONIC motor (usm) and for Sigma they have HYPER SONIC MOTOR (HSM) which helps on focusing issue..
    But the price is so much more. Think I will start with a 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I hope to get some feedback from members who use the 18-200mm for zoo.
    It will be good if you could share some of your Zoo picture taken from a 18-200mm len.

    Thanks.....
    If you don't have 18-200mm, then can consider buying one as a carry-around lens. There will be some problems at the extreme focal length though. If you want a better one, get 70-200mm f/2.8. You can use it for both portrait and animals. Its a very good investment. Only complaint is the weight. Remember, don't get 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 just to shoot animals, unless you're very sure you'll shoot them regularly (speaking from my experience). It may not be fast enough too at certain locations. Don't waste money.
    Last edited by sci80298; 21st October 2006 at 11:10 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    But the price is so much more. Think I will start with a 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO.
    do bring a tripod or at least a monopod if you are using it to shoot in the zoo.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by sci80298 View Post
    If you don't have 18-200mm, then can consider buying one as a carry-around lens. There will be some problems at the extreme focal length though. If you want a better one, get 70-200mm f/2.8. You can use it for both portrait and animals. Its a very good investment. Only complaint is the weight. Remember, don't get 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 just to shoot animals, unless you're very sure you'll shoot them regularly (speaking from my experience). It may not be fast enough too at certain locations. Don't waste money.
    I agree it's a good investment but if u don't have budget then how? I want to get a 70-200 f2.8 with IS of canon though but too expensive for me so maybe i will go for the sigma 70-200 f2.8 and hope someday I can earn on this hobby of ours so that I can buy a L-lens... just my thought...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Hi Pal,

    Are you using the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO? Apart from using it for Zoo photography. What other photography is it useful for?
    hi

    may i know this is a crop pic or a frame pic? tks

  19. #19

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdam View Post
    hi

    may i know this is a crop pic or a frame pic? tks
    a frame pic.. y?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

    Thanks for all the reply.

    Like what sci80298 mentioned. Seriously, I don't think I will be shooting animal regularly. Probably will do more portrait, street shot and occasionally animal in the zoo. Maybe also my daughter annual concert.

    Having a constant F/2.8 will be sweet.

    Should I save more money for that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •