Thread: Fine or Normal for JPEG Saving?

Default Fine or Normal for JPEG Saving?

I know that Fine has a higher quality of image, but a very large (comparatively) file size. Is the extra file save justifiable for the minimal increase in quality?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fine or Normal for JPEG Saving?

if the image needs the fine detail quality then use fine
    for normal snap shots use normal

Unless you really nedd the space I'd reccommend saving in fine
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyterabyte View Post
    I know that Fine has a higher quality of image, but a very large (comparatively) file size. Is the extra file save justifiable for the minimal increase in quality?
    then why didn't you spend less money and buy a camera with lower resolution? File size will definately be smaller!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

If you know you would not blow that print up very big, then it's better to save in a lower resolution but with a fine JPEG compression. Although it's hard to see, the artifacts might be noticeable if you change the levels or perform some sharpening process later.

I usually shoot in fine cos I like to crop a lot. However it can consume a lot of space for me and I rapidly run out of space when I do AEB(Auto Exposure Bracketing). Sometimes I will carry my Digimate if I anticipate running out of space.

"extra file save justifiable for the minimal increase in quality?"

make sense... in this case it has to depend on the quality you want...

now looking back at the 2 mega pixel images i've took a many few years back.. ermm.. well all i can say is they sure looks like images took many few years back...

dont scrimp on storage, use fine. unless you do not mind doing reshoots when the need for details surfaces.
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

If you are complaining about this, man... then you haven't even tried the RAW format yet...

But do save in the highest quality you can get away with. It really allows for future correction much better than when you save it at a lower res and lose the ability to boost such details when needed later.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site