Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: hyperfocal distance

Default Re: hyperfocal distance

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i think if you REALLY want to be extremely accurate with laser range finder,
    you measure from the focal plane marking on your DSLR to your subject.
    pardon me, where is the focal plane. can't find the words - focal plane imprinted on my cam

Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    pardon me, where is the focal plane. can't find the words - focal plane imprinted on my cam
    what cam u using?i'm using D200 and the marking is just below the right anchor point for hanging your camera strap.

honestly, dun have to be that sniper accurate one lah.
    just guesstimate.
    one meter is roughly about 1 arm length.

what cam u using?i'm using D200 and the marking is just below the right anchor point for hanging your camera strap.

honestly, dun have to be that sniper accurate one lah.
    just guesstimate.
    one meter is roughly about 1 arm length.
    PnS cam but it is a good one. 2 megapixel cam. the guy in the shop told me that the image can be print up to 18 x 12 if I use photoshop to enlarge it.

PnS cam but it is a good one. 2 megapixel cam. the guy in the shop told me that the image can be print up to 18 x 12 if I use photoshop to enlarge it.
    There he goes again....

Dude... with a PnS, you have only a few choices in terms of aperture setting anyway. So why would you be worrying about hyperfocal distance anyway??

And you can't set manual focusing on such a camera. So till you get a real SLR camera, this subject is not revelant to you.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I never forget dDarkroom has his thread... http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=227113&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    I never forget dDarkroom has his thread... http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=227113&page=3

Darn... I missed such a thread..
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Me thinks dDarkroom's got a really mean streak.

After all that's been said and done, I must admit that I have never used those tables for hyperfocusing before. At the very most, I use the DOF preview button to do a rough check then bracket a few shots at different aperture (more relevant for film - no instant preview).
    In any case, if we are going to be splitting hairs about whether or not the foreground is sharp enough, we will probably require some high tech sensor to pixel peep to see just how sharp sharp really is .
    So far most of my pictures have been acceptably sharp. If anything, I'd say pay more attention to other aspect like exposure and composition.

Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2 View Post
    After all that's been said and done, I must admit that I have never used those tables for hyperfocusing before. At the very most, I use the DOF preview button to do a rough check then bracket a few shots at different aperture (more relevant for film - no instant preview).
    In any case, if we are going to be splitting hairs about whether or not the foreground is sharp enough, we will probably require some high tech sensor to pixel peep to see just how sharp sharp really is .
    So far most of my pictures have been acceptably sharp. If anything, I'd say pay more attention to other aspect like exposure and composition.
    can DOF preview really let u see if your background is sharp or not?cos i notice when you press the DOF preview, it steps down to the intended aperture, and everything turns darker(assuming u use smaller aperture).lidat can see ah?

Blog Entries

look harder, can see

or you can press the shutter and look at your lcd

Its not so much the background you are worried about since DOF extends much further behind the subject than it does in front. So usually, I would focus until the background looks sharp enough through the view finder then stop down to check if the foreground is in focus. If not, then turn the focus ring slightly to focus nearer and then check again. If I am not very sure if I got everything sharp, then I just bracket a few shots at smaller aperture. Also you don't have to worry about picture turning soft at to small an aperture unless you are one of those super pros who look at their pictures through the microscope or blow up the picture up to 10 storeys high. Even my lousy tamron 200-400 F/5.6, which was known to be quite soft came out acceptably sharp to me. Of course, I'm no pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    erm no that's not correct at all. hyperfocal distance is not the mark next the infinity spot on any lens. it's a technique, not a specific position & it varies from lenses to lenses and the focal distance required.

bit tricky to explain, but here's a good link with diagrams...
    http://www.great-landscape-photograp...yperfocal.html
    Hmm...thanks, I learned new thing here....

i guess in order to get the photo right straight from the cam I will invest in the polaroid laser measuring device. anyway it only cost abt $1000.

but where should I measure from - the viewfinder, the tip of the lens, or in between the lens and body.
    Just got to make sure you don't blind the subject with that..

shot this using hyperfocal technique but the trees still looks blur hor.
    not sure if it's the nature of the leaves or not.

did you bring along a measuring tape or a laser device. btw you got no tripod so it will be veri difficult to get a pin-point measurement from the focal plane.

shot this using hyperfocal technique but the trees still looks blur hor.
    not sure if it's the nature of the leaves or not.
    Focused at 3.5m??
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

no laser rangefinder, no tape, no ruler...

ya.focused agar agar at about 3meters.

no laser rangefinder, no tape, no ruler...

ya.focused agar agar at about 3meters.
    Aiyoh... there are distance markings on your 18-200VR lah...

Is the photo cropped? Or just resized?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Aiyoh... there are distance markings on your 18-200VR lah...

Is the photo cropped? Or just resized?
    resized niah.not cropped at all.
    i with a chase-duckling tour.want to stop and shoot with other settings, the other ducklings come behind me to mass orgy.where got time see lens?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast