Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: hyperfocal distance

Default Re: hyperfocal distance

In those old days when we use manual focus prime lenses, the hyperfocal distance can be easily set just by turning the infinity to the f stop marking correspond to your f stop setting. However the depth of field indication is not available for 2-ring zoom lenses. Normally to play safe I use the hyperfocal range for 1 stop lower than that I set, so if f stop use is f8 then I use the f5.6 marks.

However do bear in mind most lenses perform best when set a infinity, especially wide angle lenses. So unless your composition has important subject in the foreground and depth of field is critical for that composition, you are probably better off taking at infinity without focusing for wide angle lenses. Optimum f stop for a lens is generally 2 stops smaller than the biggest f stop. So for f2.8 lens optimum should be around f 5.6 or f8.
    Rolleiflex 3003 - SL66 - Sony Alpha 7R1/2 - ZF - Batis - ZM - Otus - HFT - T* My website

ok,
    to summarize, all i need is to print the chart and bring it with me right?
    then for lanscapes, i just set to f11 and focus APPROXIMATELY 2meters in front of me, and i'll DEFINITELY get everything sharp from 2meters to INFINITY.

tio boh?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ok,
    to summarize, all i need is to print the chart and bring it with me right?
    then for lanscapes, i just set to f11 and focus APPROXIMATELY 2meters in front of me, and i'll DEFINITELY get everything sharp from 2meters to INFINITY.

tio boh?
    Yes. Things will appear sharp from 2m to infinity. Do note that if you crop and resize, this can change. This is taking the assumption that you blow up the original photo no greater than 10 inches.

Like Fuwen said, only do this when you have something in the foreground that you want to keep in focus together with the background.

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    f/11, 20mm on a D200, you should focus at 1.8m so that, theoretically, anything from 1.8m onwards will be in focus.

You can refer to the chart in my previous post or if you want something more "Nikonian", then download the PDF chart from here:

Nikonian Hyperfocal Table

Just be careful to use the right table, there's one that gives the distance in feet and another in metres.

_
    very informative.
    thanks a zillion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    According to the chart here...
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...l-distance.htm

Print size: 10 inches (quite safe number to use)
    View distance: 25cm (typical view distance)
    Film/sensor size: digital SLR with CF of 1.5x
    Hyperfocal distance with f/11 & 20mm is 1.7m

Set focus at 1.7m then the object from 1.7m to infinity will appear focused on your photos sized not more than 10 inches.

If you want to be safe, focus at slightly longer distance like 2.0m.
    actually hor scag,
    the definition according to what i know is that(from the settings above), everything from HALF of the Hyperfocal distance to infinity will be sharp.
    therefore, half of 1.7meters is 0.85m to infinity will be sharp right?so as long as i focus at 1m, also will do the trick rite?

Wrong. Remember that in DOF there is distance in front and behind the focal point that will appear in focus. You should focus at 1.7m. Some distance in front of 1.7m will appear in focus along with everything behind 1.7m.

but but but, according to the nikonian table,
    that's what they say lei...

Read it again...

Example of use:
    If you were using a 24mm lens and select f/11 as your aperture, the Hyperfocal Distance would
    be 2.5 meters or 8.4 feet. If you focus at that hyperfocal distance, the depth of field in your image
    would be from half of that distance (1.25 meters or 4.2 feet) to infinity.
    Since modern lenses don't have DOF engraved marks in their barrels anymore, you need to
    estimate where in your scene is that hyperfocal distance read from the table to focus on.
    As long as it is approximate you'll be fine.
    Focus at 2.5m, things from 1.25 (half distance in front of focal point) and everything behind the focal point will be withing the DOF (appearing in focus).
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 19th October 2006 at 04:57 PM.

Read it again...
    ya!correct mah isnt it?half of that distance to infinity will be sharp.

so if i put my d200 near 1 feet off the ground, and focus at half of 2.5meters(in the example), everything from my foreground to infinity will be sharp rite?
    that's of course, assuming my composition is right and i DO NOT include anything in my frame nearer than 1.25meters.

tio boh

thanks for your patience with a dumb newbie like me.

ya!correct mah isnt it?half of that distance to infinity will be sharp.

so if i put my d200 near 1 feet off the ground, and focus at half of 2.5meters(in the example), everything from my foreground to infinity will be sharp rite?
    that's of course, assuming my composition is right and i DO NOT include anything in my frame nearer than 1.25meters.

tio boh

WRONGGG!!!!!

Do not focus at half of 2.5m. Focus AT 2.5m.... everything from 1.25 to infinity will be look focused.

If you focus at 1.25m, your DOF will not reach infinity.
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 19th October 2006 at 05:08 PM.

WRONGGG!!!!!

Do not focus at half of 2.5m. Focus AT 2.5m.... everything from 1.25 to infinity will be look focused.

dun be angry pls...
    i know what you mean.

BUT, i'm saying...ok ok...
    let me rephrase it.

WHAT IF i focus at 1.25m AND My composition of the scene is that the bottom of the frame is at 1.25m(where i focus)?you understand bo?

dun be angry pls...
    i know what you mean.

BUT, i'm saying...ok ok...
    let me rephrase it.

WHAT IF i focus at 1.25m AND My composition of the scene is that the bottom of the frame is at 1.25m(where i focus)?you understand bo?
    If you focus at 1.25m, your DOF will not reach infinity. The far background will look out-of-focus.

Using the DOF table, if you focus at 1.25m with a 24mm lens at f/11, only things from 0.825m to 2.578m will appear in focus.
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 20th October 2006 at 09:13 AM.

I think what jeanie meant is that is it framing should be such that it includes only things that are at least 1/2 of hyperfocal distance away (i.e. 1.25m away) so that there will not be anything out of focus in the frame if we focus at hyperfocal distance (2.5m).
    Last edited by Clockunder; 19th October 2006 at 05:29 PM.

yo guys,
    wanna ask one question..

if u wanna shoot a subject, say a mountain 100m infront of u,
    and the whatever "hyperfocal distance table" at the selected aperture wants u to focus at 2m away from u.

If there is nothing "only thin air" infront of u, then u focus on what huh?.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolanku View Post
    yo guys,
    wanna ask one question..

and the whatever "hyperfocal distance table" at the selected aperture wants u to focus at 2m away from u.

This one easy, if shooting wide angle, just set focus to infinity. BTW mountain normally 1000m away lah seldom 100m (small knoll maybe). Never for this case to focus at 2m.
    Rolleiflex 3003 - SL66 - Sony Alpha 7R1/2 - ZF - Batis - ZM - Otus - HFT - T* My website

Actually just small f stops and DOF do not guarantee sharp picture. U will need to watch the shutter speed also. If the scenary u are taking have plants that will move under breeze and wind, u will need at least 1/125 to freeze the motion (even if u are on tripod). No point happily stop down to f22 and use hyperfocus distance but at 1/15 your picture will not be sharp either.

yo guys,
    wanna ask one question..

1. Switch your camera to manual focus
    2. Twist the focusing ring until the 2m mark is aligned to the centre mark
    3. If the markings jump from 1m to 3m, stop somewhere inbetween

_

Oh..haha thanks dude!..

Gonna get my first dslr tomorrow..

share with u a secret..i dun even know how to change lens!..

losts to learn i guess..

Kudos for all the great guys ard!

Oh..haha thanks dude!..

Gonna get my first dslr tomorrow..

share with u a secret..i dun even know how to change lens!..

losts to learn i guess..

Kudos for all the great guys ard!

Get the store guys or gers to teach you how to mount and remove the lens properly. They will be more than glad to teach...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast