Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: storage media and xray machines

  1. #1

    Default storage media and xray machines

    was wondering if you guys put your camera bag(no choice right?) through the xray machines when you fly overseas.
    will it affect your CF cards?is there a way around this?
    i've heard stories of CF cards full with pics and when pass through xray machines, the card was corrupted, pics gone.

  2. #2

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    My CF card and SD card in my PDA has been zapped quite a number of times when I travel. No problem so far.

  3. #3
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    was wondering if you guys put your camera bag(no choice right?) through the xray machines when you fly overseas.
    will it affect your CF cards?is there a way around this?
    i've heard stories of CF cards full with pics and when pass through xray machines, the card was corrupted, pics gone.
    if those machines are film safe, i see no reason why the CF cards data will get corrupted?
    some more so many laptops pass thru' that machine daily, u dun see ppl complaining HDD corrupted? do you?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    have been travelling quite frequently the first half of this year and don't encounter such problems...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Should have no problem. Film is affected by x-rays machine, but not solid memory like CF, SD, MemoryStick, XD, etc.

    If you are afraid (better safe than sorry), just remove CF card prior to x-rays machine and put on your pocket.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  6. #6
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Should have no problem. Film is affected by x-rays machine, but not solid memory like CF, SD, MemoryStick, XD, etc.

    If you are afraid (better safe than sorry), just remove CF card prior to x-rays machine and put on your pocket.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    i 2nd Artosoft

  7. #7

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    if those machines are film safe, i see no reason why the CF cards data will get corrupted?
    some more so many laptops pass thru' that machine daily, u dun see ppl complaining HDD corrupted? do you?
    when their laptop gets corrupted, do they come into CS to post?
    else, how you know if their laptops kaput?

    anyway, i just hearsay about the CF corruption.i havent encounter it myself when i was using film.

    btw, film and cf, arent they very different media?so if film safe, is there any relevance with a magnetic media like CF?

  8. #8

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    not sure have you guys been travelling recently but when i went overseas in july, passed thru 5 airports, and all of them request you to take out EVERYTHING and put onto a basket, which will then be passed through the xray.
    even metal buckle belts(giordano) need to be removed, as well as timberland boots which has brass shoelace sockets....

  9. #9

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Maybe you should ask them whether you should lie down on the conveyer for scanning instead...

  10. #10

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Maybe you should ask them whether you should lie down on the conveyer for scanning instead...
    no choice mah...me ugly duckling...chio one no need to remove accesories.

    was wondering if they will ask me to remove my platinum wired bra...

  11. #11

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    so if film safe, is there any relevance with a magnetic media like CF?
    btw, most of the CF in use is based on MOS technology and is not magnetic media, unless
    of course you r using the microdrive, then that is magnetic media.

  12. #12

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    btw, most of the CF in use is based on MOS technology and is not magnetic media, unless
    of course you r using the microdrive, then that is magnetic media.
    oic.sorry.me newbie.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Don't worry so much lah. Xray machines do not use magnetic fields. Your cf or laptop would be more at risk with a strong magnetic field.

  14. #14

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    ok.thanks all!

  15. #15
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    when their laptop gets corrupted, do they come into CS to post?
    else, how you know if their laptops kaput?

    anyway, i just hearsay about the CF corruption.i havent encounter it myself when i was using film.

    btw, film and cf, arent they very different media?so if film safe, is there any relevance with a magnetic media like CF?
    i have many colleagues who are frequent travellers, they always bring their laptops for business trips..no complains from anyone so far..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  16. #16

    Talking Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    i have many colleagues who are frequent travellers, they always bring their laptops for business trips..no complains from anyone so far..
    I agree with blazer. I have been travelling in/out of the country over the past couple of year and have had no problem with any form of solid state media being corrupted by the x-rays (thumb drives, Sony MS, CF, PCMCIA, etc).

    The new procedure at most airports is that you're to empty your pockets before going thru the metal detector. Some airports like those in Indonesia and USA require that you remove EVERYTHING (except your clothes ) before passing through the metal detectors. I heard that in the USA, they even require you to turn on your laptop (not sure about cameras) before they allow it through .

    Cheers

    Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

  17. #17
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by kelvgoh View Post
    I agree with blazer. I have been travelling in/out of the country over the past couple of year and have had no problem with any form of solid state media being corrupted by the x-rays (thumb drives, Sony MS, CF, PCMCIA, etc).

    The new procedure at most airports is that you're to empty your pockets before going thru the metal detector. Some airports like those in Indonesia and USA require that you remove EVERYTHING (except your clothes ) before passing through the metal detectors. I heard that in the USA, they even require you to turn on your laptop (not sure about cameras) before they allow it through .

    Cheers

    Kelvin
    Girls take note dun wear shirts or dress wif metal buttons..jeanie, u need me to help u strip the under wire..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  18. #18

    Talking Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Girls take note dun wear shirts or dress wif metal buttons..jeanie, u need me to help u strip the under wire..
    Ha ha bro, think you might need to stand in line. I'm sure the "kind" security staff will help her 1st.

    Cheers

    Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma View Post
    Don't worry so much lah. Xray machines do not use magnetic fields. Your cf or laptop would be more at risk with a strong magnetic field.
    CF solid state, Hardisk and CF hardisk doesn't affected by XRay machine and strong magnetic fields. Your computer, notebook, palm, handphone, etc that contain eraseable bios can be (I repeat: can be, not always) affected by XRay machines (depends on how strong is the xrays machines emitted Xrays). But don't worry, airport don't want to loose passenger because of that . They carefully set the radiation emitted by xrays machines.

    Hardisk and CF hardisk (also credit card, automatic watch) is affected or can be affected by strong magnetic field (like MRI machine on hospital).

    Regards,
    Arto.

  20. #20

    Default Re: storage media and xray machines

    Quote Originally Posted by kelvgoh View Post
    I agree with blazer. I have been travelling in/out of the country over the past couple of year and have had no problem with any form of solid state media being corrupted by the x-rays (thumb drives, Sony MS, CF, PCMCIA, etc).

    The new procedure at most airports is that you're to empty your pockets before going thru the metal detector. Some airports like those in Indonesia and USA require that you remove EVERYTHING (except your clothes ) before passing through the metal detectors. I heard that in the USA, they even require you to turn on your laptop (not sure about cameras) before they allow it through .

    Cheers

    Kelvin
    Nope... The U.S. customs don't require you to turn the laptop on... Israel requires it...
    But you have to remove the laptop from the bag and put in the tray..

    Korea Incheon airport has the tightest magnetic detector... Even the buttons on my jeans also detect....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •