Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: storage media and xray machines

Default storage media and xray machines

was wondering if you guys put your camera bag(no choice right?) through the xray machines when you fly overseas.
    will it affect your CF cards?is there a way around this?
    i've heard stories of CF cards full with pics and when pass through xray machines, the card was corrupted, pics gone.

Default Re: storage media and xray machines

My CF card and SD card in my PDA has been zapped quite a number of times when I travel. No problem so far.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    was wondering if you guys put your camera bag(no choice right?) through the xray machines when you fly overseas.
    will it affect your CF cards?is there a way around this?
    i've heard stories of CF cards full with pics and when pass through xray machines, the card was corrupted, pics gone.
    if those machines are film safe, i see no reason why the CF cards data will get corrupted?
    some more so many laptops pass thru' that machine daily, u dun see ppl complaining HDD corrupted? do you?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

have been travelling quite frequently the first half of this year and don't encounter such problems...

Should have no problem. Film is affected by x-rays machine, but not solid memory like CF, SD, MemoryStick, XD, etc.

If you are afraid (better safe than sorry), just remove CF card prior to x-rays machine and put on your pocket.

Regards,
    Arto.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Should have no problem. Film is affected by x-rays machine, but not solid memory like CF, SD, MemoryStick, XD, etc.

If you are afraid (better safe than sorry), just remove CF card prior to x-rays machine and put on your pocket.

Regards,
    Arto.
    i 2nd Artosoft

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    if those machines are film safe, i see no reason why the CF cards data will get corrupted?
    some more so many laptops pass thru' that machine daily, u dun see ppl complaining HDD corrupted? do you?
    when their laptop gets corrupted, do they come into CS to post?
    else, how you know if their laptops kaput?

anyway, i just hearsay about the CF corruption.i havent encounter it myself when i was using film.

btw, film and cf, arent they very different media?so if film safe, is there any relevance with a magnetic media like CF?

not sure have you guys been travelling recently but when i went overseas in july, passed thru 5 airports, and all of them request you to take out EVERYTHING and put onto a basket, which will then be passed through the xray.
    even metal buckle belts(giordano) need to be removed, as well as timberland boots which has brass shoelace sockets....

Maybe you should ask them whether you should lie down on the conveyer for scanning instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Maybe you should ask them whether you should lie down on the conveyer for scanning instead...
    no choice mah...me ugly duckling...chio one no need to remove accesories.

was wondering if they will ask me to remove my platinum wired bra...

so if film safe, is there any relevance with a magnetic media like CF?
    btw, most of the CF in use is based on MOS technology and is not magnetic media, unless
    of course you r using the microdrive, then that is magnetic media.

Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    btw, most of the CF in use is based on MOS technology and is not magnetic media, unless
    of course you r using the microdrive, then that is magnetic media.
    oic.sorry.me newbie.

Don't worry so much lah. Xray machines do not use magnetic fields. Your cf or laptop would be more at risk with a strong magnetic field.

ok.thanks all!

Member/Tangshooter

when their laptop gets corrupted, do they come into CS to post?
    else, how you know if their laptops kaput?

anyway, i just hearsay about the CF corruption.i havent encounter it myself when i was using film.

btw, film and cf, arent they very different media?so if film safe, is there any relevance with a magnetic media like CF?
    i have many colleagues who are frequent travellers, they always bring their laptops for business trips..no complains from anyone so far..

Talking Re: storage media and xray machines

i have many colleagues who are frequent travellers, they always bring their laptops for business trips..no complains from anyone so far..
    I agree with blazer. I have been travelling in/out of the country over the past couple of year and have had no problem with any form of solid state media being corrupted by the x-rays (thumb drives, Sony MS, CF, PCMCIA, etc).

The new procedure at most airports is that you're to empty your pockets before going thru the metal detector. Some airports like those in Indonesia and USA require that you remove EVERYTHING (except your clothes ) before passing through the metal detectors. I heard that in the USA, they even require you to turn on your laptop (not sure about cameras) before they allow it through .

Cheers

Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by kelvgoh View Post
    I agree with blazer. I have been travelling in/out of the country over the past couple of year and have had no problem with any form of solid state media being corrupted by the x-rays (thumb drives, Sony MS, CF, PCMCIA, etc).

The new procedure at most airports is that you're to empty your pockets before going thru the metal detector. Some airports like those in Indonesia and USA require that you remove EVERYTHING (except your clothes ) before passing through the metal detectors. I heard that in the USA, they even require you to turn on your laptop (not sure about cameras) before they allow it through .

Cheers

Kelvin
    Girls take note dun wear shirts or dress wif metal buttons..jeanie, u need me to help u strip the under wire..

Talking Re: storage media and xray machines

Girls take note dun wear shirts or dress wif metal buttons..jeanie, u need me to help u strip the under wire..
    Ha ha bro, think you might need to stand in line. I'm sure the "kind" security staff will help her 1st.

Cheers

Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by jbma View Post
    Don't worry so much lah. Xray machines do not use magnetic fields. Your cf or laptop would be more at risk with a strong magnetic field.
    CF solid state, Hardisk and CF hardisk doesn't affected by XRay machine and strong magnetic fields. Your computer, notebook, palm, handphone, etc that contain eraseable bios can be (I repeat: can be, not always) affected by XRay machines (depends on how strong is the xrays machines emitted Xrays). But don't worry, airport don't want to loose passenger because of that . They carefully set the radiation emitted by xrays machines.

Hardisk and CF hardisk (also credit card, automatic watch) is affected or can be affected by strong magnetic field (like MRI machine on hospital).

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvgoh View Post

Cheers

Kelvin
    Nope... The U.S. customs don't require you to turn the laptop on... Israel requires it...
    But you have to remove the laptop from the bag and put in the tray..

Korea Incheon airport has the tightest magnetic detector... Even the buttons on my jeans also detect....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast