Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yunnan: Dali, Lijiang, Kunming tips anyone?

Default Re: Yunnan: Dali, Lijiang, Kunming tips anyone?

I'll be going there next week with Ramius the nua king. Already contacted a local agent for the quote and most prob only getting those standard packages and not the free and easy (very expensive with car rental). You may want to check out www.hiyunnan.com

Quote Originally Posted by maestrolik View Post
    I'll be going there next week with Ramius the nua king. Already contacted a local agent for the quote and most prob only getting those standard packages and not the free and easy (very expensive with car rental). You may want to check out www.hiyunnan.com
    Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by MerseysideRed View Post
    HI I was in Yunnan for a month during Dec doing Volunteer work and travelling. My party used chinese agents during the travelling part so we had much freedom to choose where to go. Here goes my experiences in the places that I've been to. Pardon me if I can't rem the name of the places that I've been to.

Kunming: So-so, cityscape. Went to a temple, not very impressive. Didn't go to the stone forest though, been told it's over-rated. I feel that the best way to enjoy Kunming is to visit their parks and walk around to sample their street food esp "guo-qiao-mee-sian".

Dali: Land of the Bai minority. Visited some parks, so-so only. Views of and from Cangshan were impressive. Take a cruise of Erhai lake and visit a few small islands along the way. Try Dali beer, qing mei shuang (sour plum drink) and any street food u find interesting. Dali gucheng's not as vibrant as Lijiang's but still can provide some photographic opportunities.

Lijiang: Didn't like it when I arrived as it was swarming with tourists. But slowly realised Lijiang's charms. Best is to get out to visit attractions during the day. Yulong xueshan is not bad, try climbing up the stairs if you have the time. Will have better views there. There's a lake, forgot what's it's name. Very beautiful , rent a horse and race down its banks! superb experience don't pass it up if you are there. Tiger leaping gorge was superb, trek it if you can, the trekking route was closed during my time there. At night, Lijiang Gucheng's the place to be. bring along a tripod if you want to take lots of pictures there. the place suddenly becomes charming at night, go there and discover it for yourself. The modern city's not worth going.

Zhongdian: Place becomes very cold(-10 C for me). Trees and grass loses colour, air smells fresher here dunno why. Yaks appears. But if you go there late enough when it starts to snow, it becomes like a winter wonderland at a famous lake there (forgot name too). Visit the Tibetan monastry, very nice. when you are done, try walk in the small town of zhongdian, place becomes a little barren and deserted(esp after lijiang) but you can see some tibetan elements and people. Try yak meat and yak milk.

XiShuang Banna: South part of Yunnan. Felt it was a waste of my time there. Practically tour guides brought us to "admire" foliage that looks just like our's back home in S'pore. Culture wise, that/burmese.Elephants and peacocks. Not very interesting. Don't go there.

Think the best thing about Yunnan is not it's scenery but it's people. The cultural diversity is excellent and interesting. If you have time, try to explore places that are not in the tourist trail. Villages are the best. Don;t exactly know how to org an eco-tour though. But anyway good luck and have a good trip!
    Can you tell me something about the weather in Dec in these places? Does it snow? What sort of clothings will be suitable? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by clicknick View Post
    Can you tell me something about the weather in Dec in these places? Does it snow? What sort of clothings will be suitable? Thanks.
    Sure thing!

Early Dec's temp differs from late Dec's by about 5 Degs. All of the different places will have around 5- 15 Degs difference due to altitude difference, warmest being Kunming, then Dali, Lijiang and lastly Zhongdian. It's winter, so will have little rainfall. Snow will most prob occur only in Zhongdian. A fleece is a must. Wind proof jacket is also recommended. with those 2 pieces of clothing, you can survive the cold, just add some more tops inside if you feel like it. Oh rem to bring along gloves and caps. Can buy there also, quite cheap. Hope this helps! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MerseysideRed View Post
    Sure thing!

Early Dec's temp differs from late Dec's by about 5 Degs. All of the different places will have around 5- 15 Degs difference due to altitude difference, warmest being Kunming, then Dali, Lijiang and lastly Zhongdian. It's winter, so will have little rainfall. Snow will most prob occur only in Zhongdian. A fleece is a must. Wind proof jacket is also recommended. with those 2 pieces of clothing, you can survive the cold, just add some more tops inside if you feel like it. Oh rem to bring along gloves and caps. Can buy there also, quite cheap. Hope this helps! Cheers!
    Thanks bro

Hi all bros, so gd tat u guys can travel yunnan..
    i wanted to go to these places backpacking alone but my mom doesnt allow..

Then don't backpack, go book a group tour.

I have just booked my tour with this agency in Peoples Park Complex call Focal Travel.

They have a special package 8 days Kunming/Dali/Lijiang+free 2days Bangkok, cost is $898package+$217tax.

For this, I get full board (all meals B/L/D) guided tour, 3 nights stay in Kunming, 2 nights in Dali, 2 nights in Lijiang, and 2 nights in Bangkok (no meals).

This package includes the cable car up to 3300 meters of Yu Long Snow Mountain, and to Ganhaizi lawn, the place where tomcat managed to catch the "Impressions Lijiang" performance (see his thread for the beautiful pics), hope I can see it too during my tour.

Quote Originally Posted by clicknick View Post
    Then don't backpack, go book a group tour.

I have just booked my tour with this agency in Peoples Park Complex call Focal Travel.

They have a special package 8 days Kunming/Dali/Lijiang+free 2days Bangkok, cost is $898package+$217tax.

For this, I get full board (all meals B/L/D) guided tour, 3 nights stay in Kunming, 2 nights in Dali, 2 nights in Lijiang, and 2 nights in Bangkok (no meals).

This package includes the cable car up to 3300 meters of Yu Long Snow Mountain, and to Ganhaizi lawn, the place where tomcat managed to catch the "Impressions Lijiang" performance (see his thread for the beautiful pics), hope I can see it too during my tour.
    why you choose focal travel? I am looking for a tour in Late Dec to yunnan too. My colleague recommend chan brothers. Some of my old tour mates recommend Hongthai or something. So complicated. I really dislike tours that bring you to tourist shops all the time. Which travel agency have such stuff?

I think Tomcat went with Hong Thai. Just read it in one of his threads.
    Last edited by wind30; 8th November 2006 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    why you choose focal travel? I am looking for a tour in Late Dec to yunnan too. My colleague recommend chan brothers. Some of my old tour mates recommend Hongthai or something. So complicated. I really dislike tours that bring you to tourist shops all the time. Which travel agency have such stuff?
    All travel agents have such tourist shops stuff, haha, unless u manage to find your own personal tour guide.

Because I want to travel between 23dec to 2 Jan period, but Chan Bros say they don't have any tour during this period. Also, I want to get close to the Yulong Snow mountains and Chan Bros and many other dun offer cable car up to Yulong Snow Mountain. HongThai and Focal have this. I prefer the places that Focal takes me to compared to HongThai, eg, focal have Stone Forest and Juixiang. Focal have ALL meals provided in Yunnan, Hongthai have some dinners u pay on your own.

For me, it was a decision between Hong Thai and Focal, and I chose Focal because it is cheaper, it does not go to Shangrila (I choose to skip Shangrila because it is the wrong season to go) so more time at Kunming, Dali, Lijiang and less travelling time. Focal flies by Thai Air, which I like, and I like the flight timing. Forgot to mention, the package includes 2 nights extra in Bangkok, so after Yunnan, I fly to Bangkok for 2 nights free and easy, before coming back.

My tour group already 7 person, another 2 to 3 more and the tour group will be confirm, so if you sign up with Focal, we will be in the same group, haha, CS outing in Yunnan!

I know about tomcat, seeked his advise about Yunnan some days ago.

U can pm me if you need more details about the Focal package.
    Last edited by clicknick; 8th November 2006 at 05:18 PM.

hey same time.

I am also thinking of travelling around that time. My I am more inclined to hong thai leh cuz I know people who like hong thai.

I will be going to check out BOTH of them today

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    hey same time.

I am also thinking of travelling around that time. My I am more inclined to hong thai leh cuz I know people who like hong thai.

I will be going to check out BOTH of them today
    Yep, compare price and iterary then decide.

Just came back from Yunna, toured shangrila, liming, lijiang and lugu hu. Its better off to use Lijiang as a base for all your travels in northern yunnan. True that the landscape is sorta barren at the moment for winter but if you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a few unique gems here and there. Winter has its unique colors as well as far as i'm concerned. Its really cold up there now, lijiang's night temp can drop to as low as 6 deg and Shangrila -3 deg in the morning. Bring along a fibre cloth when you visit a cave as your lens will most certainly fog up for the next 10 mins since cave humidity is higher than outside. Not many local tour guides understand the needs of photographers and mind you, they would not go out of the way to wait for you to take that sunset shot as they'd need to be home for dinner by 6pm. The best i have so far is this chap called Mr Di3. His number is 13578487778, the best time for autumn colors is mid of november. If possible, go to dao4 cheng2 and ya3 ding1 at the border of sichuan and yunnan for the best autumn scenary now. But prepare to take the pressures of highland temp and altitude sickness if you want to go to such places, in my opinion its worth the trip despite the more than 1000km travelled by bus for my 11 days trip. Enjoy

note: In lijiang, wear 3 layers of clothes. In shangrila and above, its 4 seasons in one day so prepare to have a change parade throughout the day. Morning is minimum 4 layers of clothes (wear socks when you sleep)

Just came back from Yunna, toured shangrila, liming, lijiang and lugu hu. Its better off to use Lijiang as a base for all your travels in northern yunnan. True that the landscape is sorta barren at the moment for winter but if you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a few unique gems here and there. Winter has its unique colors as well as far as i'm concerned. Its really cold up there now, lijiang's night temp can drop to as low as 6 deg and Shangrila -3 deg in the morning. Bring along a fibre cloth when you visit a cave as your lens will most certainly fog up for the next 10 mins since cave humidity is higher than outside. Not many local tour guides understand the needs of photographers and mind you, they would not go out of the way to wait for you to take that sunset shot as they'd need to be home for dinner by 6pm. The best i have so far is this chap called Mr Di3. His number is 13578487778, the best time for autumn colors is mid of november. If possible, go to dao4 cheng2 and ya3 ding1 at the border of sichuan and yunnan for the best autumn scenary now. But prepare to take the pressures of highland temp and altitude sickness if you want to go to such places, in my opinion its worth the trip despite the more than 1000km travelled by bus for my 11 days trip. Enjoy

note: In lijiang, wear 3 layers of clothes. In shangrila and above, its 4 seasons in one day so prepare to have a change parade throughout the day. Morning is minimum 4 layers of clothes (wear socks when you sleep)
    Thanks maestrolik for the tips. So how much did you pay to engage a local guide like Mr Di?

it really depends on the distance you travel. there are two types of tour

a) Free and easy (bao1 che1) - You engage a driver for one day n pay for the vehicle rental. Normally one day 350 rmb not including lodging, food and entrance fees to sights. but you'll get to tell the driver where to want to go and for how long. Its better to share the cost among 4 photogs for this option.

b) Package tour - as the name suggest, you follow a tour grp. Pro is its cheap, con is you cannot control timing. this is where Mr Di comes in, he can actually customise the trip according to your needs by gathering like minded pple into a group but u have to call him early to check first.

any there any way to work there and tour there as well, the scenery there is excellent.

i went to Sichuan ( chengdu and jiuzhaigou ) the scenery is really very nice!!!!! Too bad that

time i only had a digi camera. any bros can advise on how to travel there on free and easy , i

always think that it will be better on travel tour.

it really depends on the distance you travel. there are two types of tour

a) Free and easy (bao1 che1) - You engage a driver for one day n pay for the vehicle rental. Normally one day 350 rmb not including lodging, food and entrance fees to sights. but you'll get to tell the driver where to want to go and for how long. Its better to share the cost among 4 photogs for this option.

b) Package tour - as the name suggest, you follow a tour grp. Pro is its cheap, con is you cannot control timing. this is where Mr Di comes in, he can actually customise the trip according to your needs by gathering like minded pple into a group but u have to call him early to check first.
    Thanks bro

Just checking out some pictures of Yunnan on the internet and found these 2 websites.

Yunnan really looks like a great place for photgraphy.

Sharing links to great pictures here:

http://www.molon.de/galleries/China/Yunnan/

http://www.terragalleria.com/asia/china/china.html

*Note: these are not my pictures, just a link to share these wonderful photos of Yunnan taken by other photographers.

My tour group is confirmed, can't wait to go there. Thanks all who shared your valuable tips and experiences. Will post photos when i am back in Jan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12