Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: capture NX and metadata

  1. #1

    Default capture NX and metadata

    can someone tell me why when i view pics from folder using Nikon capture NX, some pics shows the full metadata and some didnt?

  2. #2

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    The pictures may have been saved without metadata or that the metadata are from different camera, so Nikon CaptureNX unable to interpret all the information.

  3. #3

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    The pictures may have been saved without metadata or that the metadata are from different camera, so Nikon CaptureNX unable to interpret all the information.
    all the pics are taken on the same day, same event with the same camera.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    since this is a nikon software and nikon camera u're using..
    u shud post this in the Nikon subforum to get more replies and help.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    and for the record, i've no solution as i dun own CaptureNX.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  6. #6

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    cheese, thanks for always being there for me.

    so do i start a new thread there?i cant move this thread since i not moderator rite?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    cheese, thanks for always being there for me.

    so do i start a new thread there?i cant move this thread since i not moderator rite?
    erm.. pls dun say tat...

    pm the mods and seek their help to move this thread to Nikon subforum.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    Just curiously wondering...

    Why is metadata so important?

  9. #9

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    i just want to know the settings on the cam with respect to the pics.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lalaland~~~
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    i have this problem too. some shows metadata.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    That is EXIF and not metadata.

    If you use nikon view or any image viewing software, you ought to be able to see it.

  12. #12

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    That is EXIF and not metadata.

    If you use nikon view or any image viewing software, you ought to be able to see it.
    what's the difference?

  13. #13

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    what's the difference?
    Metadata is data about data, which can be image data, text data etc. EXIF is a format of metadata created by JEITA (a professional body of japanese electronics manufacturers) which describes an extensible framework for tagging of image metadata in the header and trailer sections of the binary image file. Most people here use the words metadata interchangeably with EXIF, this is not always correct. EXIF is a subset of metadata. There is also no law to prevent camera companies from omitting metadata or creating it in proprietary formats. Metadata is neither compulsory nor automatic in digital image creation and hence, whilst all the companies implement EXIF, most implement it slightly differently, from which arises the problem of software compatibility in reading the EXIF headers. Indeed some EXIF segments are entirely encrypted and unreadable by 3rd party software.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: capture NX and metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by DeusExMachina View Post
    Metadata is data about data, which can be image data, text data etc. EXIF is a format of metadata created by JEITA (a professional body of japanese electronics manufacturers) which describes an extensible framework for tagging of image metadata in the header and trailer sections of the binary image file. Most people here use the words metadata interchangeably with EXIF, this is not always correct. EXIF is a subset of metadata. There is also no law to prevent camera companies from omitting metadata or creating it in proprietary formats. Metadata is neither compulsory nor automatic in digital image creation and hence, whilst all the companies implement EXIF, most implement it slightly differently, from which arises the problem of software compatibility in reading the EXIF headers. Indeed some EXIF segments are entirely encrypted and unreadable by 3rd party software.
    Thanks so much for the very detailed explaination.

    I just know that metadata and EXIF are two different things but why are they different, I haven't got a clue until now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •