View Poll Results: Make you choice.

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a Starhub user. Rating I give - Excellent.

28 12.84%
  • I am a Starhub user. Rating I give - Acceptable.

67 30.73%
  • I am a Starhub user. Rating I give - Bleh!!!! *!?(&#($^^&GH*^&$

18 8.26%
  • I am a Singnet user. Rating I give - Excellent.

19 8.72%
  • I am a Singnet user. Rating I give - Acceptable.

44 20.18%
  • I am a Singnet user. Rating I give - Bleh!!!! *!?(&#($^^&GH*^&$

21 9.63%
  • I am a Pacnet user. Rating I give - Excellent.

10 4.59%
  • I am a Pacnet user. Rating I give - Acceptable.

4 1.83%
  • I am a Pacnet user. Rating I give - Bleh!!!! *!?(&#($^^&GH*^&$

1 0.46%
  • I do not have internet at home.

6 2.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranking of Singapore's ISPs.

Default Re: Ranking of Singapore's ISPs.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    i was under the impression that existing starhub cable was already fibre optic..
    They are fibre all the way up to your exhcange before breaking into copper.
    The last mile solution is never fibre becoz of the nature of Singapore's household, every1 lives in paegion hole. Therefore, it will very darn ex and cosumers being misers will not pay

until now. starhub is still seriously laghub...

crap la........

Singnet's main problem is its customer service. They take forever to answer when you call them.

Using Pacnet. Switched from Singnet.
    Overall less irritated than the Singnet days.

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Using Pacnet. Switched from Singnet.
    Overall less irritated than the Singnet days.
    I switched the other way round... only to discover Singnet's poor service. The actual product is the same, but the difference in service level is vast.

When I signed up, they did not sent the ADSL signal to my home. When I called them, they insisted that there was signal. They did not believe me when I told them that there was no signal, even after I explained my comprehensive testing procedure. They wanted to send some technician to my home to confirm what I already know. But the technician can only come in 2 weeks! Ridiculous.

In the end, they checked their server after my insistence... and discovered that they did not set up the connection properly. After correcting the problem at their end, everything worked fine.

Each call took about 15-30 mins to be picked up... I made many calls and wasted a lot of time. The worse thing is, these operators don't listen. They just go through some checklist they have in front of them. Pacnet's technicians are far more competent... but they are more expensive.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 17th April 2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Grammar

Starhub really sucks. SOOOOOOOO laggy, tracert times out all the time, pages fail to load. Downloading youtube videos (or streaming my legal football webcasts) is a sluggish, chuggy experience.

Just chiming in to say that M1 (in my experience) is rather crappy. Cant receive in the eastside area (e.g east coast) ... If only they'd improve this aspect, kudos to them for bringing in 'new' technology. =)

However their customer service is good. (but I'd prefer operational service than customer service hahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    if you want japanese or india and korea to cover their countries with optic fibres, it is going to be like $$$$$$$$.
    Excuse me, I dun know abt Korea and India, but I do know that Japanese cities have been covered with optic fibres EONS AGO!!!

What about Qmax?

http://www.qmax.com.sg

and Qala?
    http://www.qala.com.sg

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Sadly, they are so small compared to the Big Three

Small isn't the problem. But Qala targets corporates and Qmax is the wireless thing. They don't replace the mainstream ISPs.

I've been using PacNet for more than 10 years and still happy with it. I'm paying $42 for 512kbps now. it's quite expensive lah, compared to SingNet's $30 at the same speed and to think that I didn't get any free stuff when I signed up for their ADSL a few years back. But honestly, I think 512kbps is quite fast already. Not much difference when I use internet elsewhere.

Just one problem, there are some days that the connection gets intermittently cut off. Not sure if it's my hardware problem. But can't be my router leh, just changed it. Might be my modem, but I can't tell. Anyone knows?

Quote Originally Posted by edarkflame View Post
    I've been using PacNet for more than 10 years and still happy with it. I'm paying $42 for 512kbps now. it's quite expensive lah, compared to SingNet's $30 at the same speed and to think that I didn't get any free stuff when I signed up for their ADSL a few years back. But honestly, I think 512kbps is quite fast already. Not much difference when I use internet elsewhere.

Just one problem, there are some days that the connection gets intermittently cut off. Not sure if it's my hardware problem. But can't be my router leh, just changed it. Might be my modem, but I can't tell. Anyone knows?

I was on Pacnet as well, but they refused to lower their price for $42 after much persuasion. So, I switched to Singnet. Apart from the superior technical support offered by Pacnet, the operational efficiency is actually the same. That's because Pacnet leases their lines from Singtel anyway. So... just to let you know... there are days that my connection will get intermittently cut off as well, even after I switched to Singnet. However, it does not occur very often. I think it has to do with line maintenance, etc... So, my guess is, the further you are from the exchange, you can expect more of these 'bad days'.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    That's because Pacnet leases their lines from Singtel anyway.
    ahhh...if pacnet leased their lines from singtel..
    isn't better to get Singnet for a cheaper and reliable ISP?

$42 for 512 is abit ex, imo.

Starhub only gets an 'acceptable' from me because the upstream to downstream speed ratio just pales in comparison to other countries like Sweden, South Korea, or the FiOS networks in the US. Our country is certainly small enough for a cable infrastructure to support high upstream speeds along with the existing high downstreams. For 100mbps downstream, we should be getting ~30mbps upstream, for 12mbps, 6mbps, and so on. If not, I definitely wouldn't mind getting high upstreams in exchange for a little sacrifice in downstream speeds. Lets face it, many of us will never use 100mbps to download things, whereas the BTers and home-server hosters, and online image gallery/Youtube/imeem 'ers among us could definitely use the upstream boost.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I was on Pacnet as well, but they refused to lower their price for $42 after much persuasion. So, I switched to Singnet. Apart from the superior technical support offered by Pacnet, the operational efficiency is actually the same. That's because Pacnet leases their lines from Singtel anyway. So... just to let you know... there are days that my connection will get intermittently cut off as well, even after I switched to Singnet. However, it does not occur very often. I think it has to do with line maintenance, etc... So, my guess is, the further you are from the exchange, you can expect more of these 'bad days'.

ahhh...if pacnet leased their lines from singtel..
    isn't better to get Singnet for a cheaper and reliable ISP?

$42 for 512 is abit ex, imo.

ya loh, with the performance i get, come to think of it, it is quite expensive hor? i'm really considering a switch after my contract ends in december

Quote Originally Posted by edarkflame View Post
    ya loh, with the performance i get, come to think of it, it is quite expensive hor? i'm really considering a switch after my contract ends in december
    Old thread.....

I am running the 1.5Mbps Pacnet connection @ $60 a mth, contract is ending soon. Never had problems with my connection, ping for gaming has always been great. It is the high cost that is getting to me.

Was thinking of switching to Singnet, but it still seems to have alot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
    Old thread.....

I am running the 1.5Mbps Pacnet connection @ $60 a mth, contract is ending soon. Never had problems with my connection, ping for gaming has always been great. It is the high cost that is getting to me.

Was thinking of switching to Singnet, but it still seems to have alot of problems.
    want me to restart this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    want me to restart this thread?
    Hehehe

starhub user
    fastest internet ive used especially when i go back to australia it is so slow compared to singapore, but shanghai is the slowest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast