Thread: How to check DSLR body?

Default How to check DSLR body?

how do i check a DSLR body and make sure its in gd condition if i'm buying it second hand... pls help..thanks

Default Re: how to check Dslr body

Quote Originally Posted by rongie View Post
    how do i check a DSLR body and make sure its in gd condition if i'm buying it second hand... pls help..thanks
    snap with it! physically, check for any markings/ scratch that the seller may not have said it was there especially on any LCD.

more importantly, check for dents. Dents most definitely means camera suffered a ver strong impact like a fall.

Some suggestion made by someone few months ago when I bought a used dslr. Hope it is useful to you.

"You would need to do more on the spot checking like mount a lens to test if the AF is working, if the lighted focusing point move as you press the command/thumb dial on the back of the camera, check if the group focusing is functioning, point the camera and lenses at bright and dark areas to check if the exposure is okay, check if the aperture is working by dialling the command/thumb dial under aperture priority/manual, Check the shutter speed is functioning under shutter priority/manual , look through the view finder to check for dust on the mirror, fit a CF card to take some images and check the LCD for the outcome, check if the mirror lock-up, C(L) and C(H) is functioning, the various buttons are working like changing ISO, image quality, menu button, EV button, try delete some images on the camera"

Default Re: How to check DSLR body?

Quote Originally Posted by rongie View Post
    DLSR/s are not really the same as the manual cameras of old.. where if say one function was not working, the rest of the camera would still work. as DSLRs have integrated circuitry, i wouldnt think u need to test each and every single function quite honestly.. because if something was wrong, it would be quite apparent on simply testing the buttons or trying to take a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by shekharsha View Post
    Some suggestion made by someone few months ago when I bought a used dslr. Hope it is useful to you.

"You would need to do more on the spot checking like mount a lens to test if the AF is working, if the lighted focusing point move as you press the command/thumb dial on the back of the camera, check if the group focusing is functioning, point the camera and lenses at bright and dark areas to check if the exposure is okay, check if the aperture is working by dialling the command/thumb dial under aperture priority/manual, Check the shutter speed is functioning under shutter priority/manual , look through the view finder to check for dust on the mirror, fit a CF card to take some images and check the LCD for the outcome, check if the mirror lock-up, C(L) and C(H) is functioning, the various buttons are working like changing ISO, image quality, menu button, EV button, try delete some images on the camera"
    might wanna add in the pop up in flash if there's one.

ooh.. thanks guys.... anyway... jus wondering if i buy a 2nd hand dslr without warranty left... is it possible if i go back to nikon n extend the warranty again?

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    DLSR/s are not really the same as the manual cameras of old.. where if say one function was not working, the rest of the camera would still work. as DSLRs have integrated circuitry, i wouldnt think u need to test each and every single function quite honestly.. because if something was wrong, it would be quite apparent on simply testing the buttons or trying to take a picture.
    Though I agree with you that DSLR not the same as manual camera in that it has an IC, you would still need to check the functions of the IC, per bro shekharsha post. I'd suggest testing the extremes (light, aperture, shutter speed) to ensure that these work and the pictures obtained are not distorted in any way.

Juz my 1 cent worth.

Cheers

Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

Member/Tangshooter

Check list:
    1) Check price tag
    2) Check for body dings, dents, scratch and marks
    3) Check lens mount, viewfinder, focusing screen
    4) Check power up, power down, scroll thru' menu, image review
    5) Mount compatible lens
    i-Snap a few shot check images turn out a not
    ii-Listen for abnormal opearting sounds
    iii-Check aperture can varies a not
    iv-Check shutter speed can varies a not
    v-Check focusing accurate a not
    vi-Check metering with 0EV compensation accurate a not
    6) Check all other accesories
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.