Page 1 of 9 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 176

Thread: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

  1. #1

    Default Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    I am definitely not a sexist for having made the following statement. The person I respect most is a woman.

    But I generally feel that a man is a better photographer and woman always makes a better subject than man.


    I personally think that men are very visual creature (tend to fall in love through looks), that's why like to make nice photograph. Women are more passionate, crave for attention, that's why like to be in front of the camera.

    It could also due to our build. Men have stronger arms to carry a SLR, while women have more and better curves to make interesting pictures.

    Why do you say?


  2. #2

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    I am definitely not a sexist for having made the following statement. The person I respect most is a woman.

    But I generally feel that a man is a better photographer and woman always makes a better subject than man.


    I personally think that men are very visual creature (tend to fall in love through looks), that's why like to make nice photograph. Women are more passionate, crave for attention, that's why like to be in front of the camera.

    It could also due to our build. Men have stronger arms to carry a SLR, while women have more and better curves to make interesting pictures.

    Why do you say?

    Are "MEN" more visual den women? i don't think so. Are men better photographers? I don't agree..look at how much crap we produce..(myself included)
    Men who tend to fall in love through looks only mean they are shallow

    Does women crave for attention, i don't agree.
    Women like to be in front of the camera. Thats a BOLD & Dangerous statement.
    Women are in front of our camera cos we either ask them or pay them (and they agree). Models are in front of the camera cos its part of an assignment. Your female friends are in front of the camera cos they trust ur skills to produces good pics of them (note, they are interested in the picture, instead of being in front of the camera) Your other half becomes ur subject cos they want to spend time with u and indulge in ur interests together even they don't understand the nuts and bolts of photography.

    Who said one needs a SLR to take pics? If not why would one need the strength to carry one?

    Who said curves makes a picture more interesting? If so, does it mean u view women as a visual object?

    Having made such a statement n u claim innocent?

    one word.... SEXIST... period (i hope this thread get locks up, as it does not show respect to our female members...so what if u are a "MEN"..doesn't mean anything at all)

    PS: No wonder women always say that men do not listen or they do not understand.. If u are interested to know..i'm a guy too.. abit a less shallow one!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    It could also due to our build. Men have stronger arms to carry a SLR, while women have more and better curves to make interesting pictures.
    How come there are some photographers letting their GFs or wives carry their camera bags, tripods and drinking water for them?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    hmmm.........well, i am not sure if they are better, but i think more men are photographers and more women are subjects. whether they are better anot.......well.....i think men would say women makes better subjects and women find men better subjects right?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Here are a couple of female photographers I admire...

    Ami Vitale

    Natalie Behring

    I really don't think the sex of a person makes one a better photographer. There's some pretty crappy male photogs out there, just take a look in the CS gallery threads, plenty of examples that aren't too hard to find. I do however find the most male photogs have a much bigger ego than their female counterparts.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    ....
    This is obviously a fish trap.

    Not going to participate.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    How come there are some photographers letting their GFs or wives carry their camera bags, tripods and drinking water for them?
    i know of one photog who got her husband to carry stuff for her

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    some of the world's best photographers are women
    and some of the world's best images are of men

  9. #9

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Hey guys, I dunno but are we like distorting the TS's statement. Dun think he is saying "ALL good photographers are men and ALL good subjects are women". Rather, he is trying to do a comparison whether each gender has their own strong points. I think that some arguements here like talking about some good female photographers and good male subjects(models i presume) are sort of out of point. It is like saying "I know some caucasians that speak good chinese", but it doesn't mean that this will void the statment "Chinese people speak better chinese". So rather than spotting single minute cases which will not prove a whole population, we should use general infomation and make specific arguements from them.

    And so, regarding women being better subjects, I think that is true, because humans percieve them to be. No matter how hard we try to remove this discriminating nature in human through propaganda or intergration, this historical culture of treating women as "objects" is still eerily haunting many humans' subconcious minds. Try to do a search on "women as objects", there are quite alot of debate going on in the internet. However, no matter what the results of the debate are, the very fact that this debate exist already proves something dissapointing about how man view women as. However, i believe this is something that will burn off with time and dissappear.

    And about men being better photographer, well........... i tell you, i try so hard to get my sisters into photography but they just aren't interested. So it might not be so much of whether men are better, but whether MOST women are interested anot. Is like asking whether men make better childcare teachers-they might be, but most of them aren't interested. And those females in CS right now, hee hee, you are those lucky ones that understand the beauty and enjoyment of photography.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    Hey guys, I dunno but are we like distorting the TS's statement. Dun think he is saying "ALL good photographers are men and ALL good subjects are women". Rather, he is trying to do a comparison whether each gender has their own strong points. I think that some arguements here like talking about some good female photographers and good male subjects(models i presume) are sort of out of point. It is like saying "I know some caucasians that speak good chinese", but it doesn't mean that this will void the statment "Chinese people speak better chinese". So rather than spotting single minute cases which will not prove a whole population, we should use general infomation and make specific arguements from them.
    well well, let's see what we have here ...

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    And so, regarding women being better subjects, I think that is true, because humans percieve them to be.
    you sure humans percieve them to be? or just men? men only form roughly 50% of all humans, so men represent humans?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    No matter how hard we try to remove this discriminating nature in human through propaganda or intergration, this historical culture of treating women as "objects" is still eerily haunting many humans' subconcious minds. Try to do a search on "women as objects", there are quite alot of debate going on in the internet. However, no matter what the results of the debate are, the very fact that this debate exist already proves something dissapointing about how man view women as. However, i believe this is something that will burn off with time and dissappear.
    first you claim that humans perceive woman as better subjects, next you say 'man' (or men) view women as objects. make up your mind, what's your stand? everyone sees woman as better subjects (is there such a consensus?) or just men? are you talking about tendency or truth?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    And about men being better photographer, well........... i tell you, i try so hard to get my sisters into photography but they just aren't interested. So it might not be so much of whether men are better, but whether MOST women are interested anot. Is like asking whether men make better childcare teachers-they might be, but most of them aren't interested.
    if there are more men doing photography, does that prove that men are better than women in photography? (sheesh, since when did such a lame reason come about ...)

    since we all know most working chefs are men, does that mean that men cooks better than women?

    add: hey satay, are you making a detour halfway? you started saying you think it's true, than suddenly you want to throw in interest as a smoke bomb?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    And those females in CS right now, hee hee, you are those lucky ones that understand the beauty and enjoyment of photography.
    this is as good as saying that women normally do not understand photography. prove this please.

    btw can we also say that woman normally do not understand cooking?

    add: you know what's scary about your post? you write as if you have already known the truth of the world through your little life experiences.
    Last edited by eikin; 15th October 2006 at 09:57 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    if there are more men doing photography, does that prove that men are better than women in photography? (sheesh, since when did such a lame reason come about ...)
    yah, that's why the comparision is not that fair.

    i think i nv state clearly enuf, the meaning i am trying to bring across is that people tend to find men better photographers because of the fact that more men do photography. yup, this is a lame reason, but it is natural that when photography is done more by men, we tend to think that this implies men makes better photographer.

    to me, i think the comparison is quite hard because the size of photographers in the 2 groups we are comparing are not equal, so we cant really compare. perhaps if more female photographers are encouraged, we might have a clearer picture.

    sidenote:you sure like to argue quite a lot huh, been following the previous thread about the potraits. then when i came back to this thread, *boom*! you are here. must make myself clear that i am not trying to get into another heated argument(ever since my last mistake), so...... peace!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    ....
    This is obviously a fish trap.

    Not going to participate.
    I think it has caught a few fishes already.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    A syndrome of mismatched observation and interpretation.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    yah, that's why the comparision is not that fair.

    i think i nv state clearly enuf, the meaning i am trying to bring across is that people tend to find men better photographers because of the fact that more men do photography. yup, this is a lame reason, but it is natural that when photography is done more by men, we tend to think that this implies men makes better photographer.

    to me, i think the comparison is quite hard because the size of photographers in the 2 groups we are comparing are not equal, so we cant really compare. perhaps if more female photographers are encouraged, we might have a clearer picture.

    sidenote:you sure like to argue quite a lot huh, been following the previous thread about the potraits. then when i came back to this thread, *boom*! you are here. must make myself clear that i am not trying to get into another heated argument(ever since my last mistake), so...... peace!
    uh huh, so what about the part that women are better subjects?

    it's fun to grill brains, especially those that likes to make unnecessary judgement

  15. #15

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think it has caught a few fishes already.
    darn. better not escalate myself to become the main "zu ziao" with people around passing popcorns. but i must correct this insulting intepretation of my words:
    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    this is as good as saying that women normally do not understand photography. prove this please.
    nope. it's not dun understand. is that they tend to be less interested into technical stuffs, making it hard to see if they make good photographers. sort of like asking"does einistein makes a good storyteller?", very hard to answer as he is not interested in that and therefore we can't see if he does make a good story teller.

    please lah, why must always have heated arguments?

    edit: i think "dun want" sounds slightly insulting, so changed it.
    Last edited by satay16; 15th October 2006 at 10:14 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    sidenote:you sure like to argue quite a lot huh, been following the previous thread about the potraits. then when i came back to this thread, *boom*! you are here. must make myself clear that i am not trying to get into another heated argument(ever since my last mistake), so...... peace!
    Hehe......You learn things very fast one considering your
    little life experience
    Last edited by Sion; 15th October 2006 at 10:07 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    I am definitely not a sexist for having made the following statement. The person I respect most is a woman.

    But I generally feel that a man is a better photographer and woman always makes a better subject than man.


    I personally think that men are very visual creature (tend to fall in love through looks), that's why like to make nice photograph. Women are more passionate, crave for attention, that's why like to be in front of the camera.

    It could also due to our build. Men have stronger arms to carry a SLR, while women have more and better curves to make interesting pictures.

    Why do you say?

    your argument is not strong lah. all based on your gut feeling
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post

    nope. it's not dun understand. is DUN WANT to understand. please lah, why must always have heated arguments?
    why? can't take the heat? barely throw you a question and you scared already? are you woman enough to decide what most women think?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    why? can't take the heat? barely throw you a question and you scared already? are you woman enough to decide what most women think?
    Satay don't like to be grilled lah.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Satay don't like to be grilled lah.
    don't grill how to eat? eat it raw? yucks, since when satay takes the form of sushi also?

Page 1 of 9 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •