Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

  1. #1

    Default need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    Hi after reading the reviews i decided on getting a FZ5.
    I am a novice when it comes to photography and camera is used as a point and shoot camera by other family members.

    Previously i own a olympus 2040, which when it comes to picture quality never failed me.

    I noticed when i take pictures with FZ5, very often it comes out out of focus.
    I am wondering if there is something wrong with the camera?

    my 2040 was never out of focus when it took picture at the default point and shoot mode. Am i missing something on the FZ5?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatblue View Post
    Hi after reading the reviews i decided on getting a FZ5.
    I am a novice when it comes to photography and camera is used as a point and shoot camera by other family members.

    Previously i own a olympus 2040, which when it comes to picture quality never failed me.

    I noticed when i take pictures with FZ5, very often it comes out out of focus.
    I am wondering if there is something wrong with the camera?

    my 2040 was never out of focus when it took picture at the default point and shoot mode. Am i missing something on the FZ5?

    Thanks
    post some pic up with exif.

  3. #3

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    thanks and let me go get some pictures, i might have deleted some of the away.

  4. #4

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    I'm a newbie and have a FZ5 too, I used to have the same problem too, but after reading the manual, I realise I can press the button half way to focus on the subject before taking the shot with a full "press-down".

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Netasia View Post
    I'm a newbie and have a FZ5 too, I used to have the same problem too, but after reading the manual, I realise I can press the button half way to focus on the subject before taking the shot with a full "press-down".
    yes, but by right, the camera should do a auto focus and snap if you do a full shutter press.

  6. #6

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    hi, i went thru all my photos. turns out those that were really bad are night shots.

    any setting on the camera that will improve this?

  7. #7

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    sorry if my replies are a little slow. limited internet access these period.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    What's your focus mode on? Single point or 3, or?? Did you set the focus to use half-shutter or the focus button?

    Lastly, all AF systems will have difficulties focusing in very dark conditions, or a scene that does not have color variation. Try pointing to a uniform-colored wall.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatblue View Post
    hi, i went thru all my photos. turns out those that were really bad are night shots.

    any setting on the camera that will improve this?
    You have to understand the FZ5 has limitations just like any camera. Can't just click and the magic image comes out, thats not how it works.

    For night images, indoor, flash[external one as well] is necessary. For scenery, tripod is necessary.

    Were your night scenery or indoor shots?

  10. #10

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    try reading thru the manuals.. it helps to get u started.. btw, do anyone have any flash bracket to sell? the plastic one i'm using for my emoblitz ext. flash is kinda unreliable.. pm me pls !

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by LightStalker View Post
    try reading thru the manuals.. it helps to get u started.. btw, do anyone have any flash bracket to sell? the plastic one i'm using for my emoblitz ext. flash is kinda unreliable.. pm me pls !

    If you want the flat one try getting it from CP ar..the metal bracket..

  12. #12

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    thanks everyone. Sorry was out of the country. the shots were mostly outdoor shoots without a tripod, that explains a lot of things.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatblue View Post
    thanks everyone. Sorry was out of the country. the shots were mostly outdoor shoots without a tripod, that explains a lot of things.
    what kind of outdoor shots?(for building shot, the fz should be able to focus since there is light) and are you sure it is OOF instead of handshake blur?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    1,392

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatblue View Post
    thanks everyone. Sorry was out of the country. the shots were mostly outdoor shoots without a tripod, that explains a lot of things.
    even nite shots without tripod image will not be blurr, unless handshake, moving subject or very low light condition.
    too dark use flash lor...............

    try using tripod to shoot & see if the result is the same. remember to switch off ur anti shake when mounting on tripod. let us know the result after testing.

    cheers,

  15. #15

    Default Re: need expert's opinion on FZ5 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    What's your focus mode on? Single point or 3, or?? Did you set the focus to use half-shutter or the focus button?

    Lastly, all AF systems will have difficulties focusing in very dark conditions, or a scene that does not have color variation. Try pointing to a uniform-colored wall.
    Hi Cat,

    As what Hug had said, think u should try this setting in your menu as below:

    1. Focus mode: 3 point

    2. AF Trigger: button (do not select "Focus")

    This settings had turn my cam into a "P&S" mode, useable by anyone who is not familiar wif it.
    Last edited by Martin; 25th October 2006 at 12:10 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •