Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Many noobie questions...

  1. #1

    Default Many noobie questions...

    Hi all,

    I'm having a sort of a decision problem need your advises on what is a sensible 'must get'...


    Currently I have the following config:

    Canon 350D
    15-55mm kit
    50mm 1.8f
    75-300mm IS


    I'm considering the following (all from canon as well):
    200-400mm (or should i get something beyond 400mm?) - does it mean i need to change tripod too?
    100mm macro
    17-85mm IS (- not sure if is a L series)
    flash (to date, i've not used a flash. so not sure if i need one... :P)


    toying with the idea...:

    - 70-200mm 4.2L (is this redundant? or should I get the IS and ditch my current zoom?)
    - wide angle
    - lensbaby

    Not sure if I should get the 17-85.... since i find my current lens kit seems to b able to do the job most of the time...

    My current 'targets' are skylines, pets, people (candid shots and sports), buildings, food, and a bit of abstract stuffs...

    hoping to be able to 'catch' eagles in flight.... (nah, just joking... heard i have to sell myself to afford....haha...) maybe 'wildlife' in parks generally.

    apologies for the long post.... thanks in advance!
    Last edited by pHoenix; 15th October 2006 at 02:53 AM.

  2. #2

    Lightbulb Re: Many noobie questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by pHoenix View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm having a sort of a decision problem need your advises on what is a sensible 'must get'...


    Currently I have the following config:

    Canon 350D
    15-55mm kit
    50mm 1.8f
    75-300mm IS

    I'm considering the following (all from canon as well):
    200-400mm (or should i get something beyond 400mm?) - does it mean i need to change tripod too?
    100mm macro
    17-85mm IS (- not sure if is a L series)
    flash (to date, i've not used a flash. so not sure if i need one... :P)


    toying with the idea...:
    - 70-200mm 4.2L (is this redundant? or should I get the IS and ditch my current zoom?)
    - wide angle
    - lensbaby

    Not sure if I should get the 17-85.... since i find my current lens kit seems to b able to do the job most of the time...

    My current 'targets' are skylines, pets, people (candid shots and sports), buildings, food, and a bit of abstract stuffs...

    hoping to be able to 'catch' eagles in flight.... (nah, just joking... heard i have to sell myself to afford....haha...) maybe 'wildlife' in parks generally.

    apologies for the long post.... thanks in advance!
    Depending on what focal length you typically take at, you might like to consider either the EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM or the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. Price difference is very great. With lenses above 300mm, I would go for a prime rather than zoom. The other way to go might be to upgrade your current kit lens with an upgraded USM model.

    Cheers

    Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

  3. #3

    Default Re: Many noobie questions...

    Mmm... First i think your shooting range is still pretty wide to detemine which is best for you. I would say go for the 17-55mm IS USM or 17-40mm F4L if you really think you can cope with your kit len's range....

    70-200mm F2.8L might be a little short for wildlife depending where you are shooting them...

    300mm prime up i would say give it a miss cos until you specifically knows what's your needs and they are costly to try.... hard to get a used one too....

    have fun

  4. #4

    Default Re: Many noobie questions...

    I'd stick to the current combo as it seems to cover the entire range well enough. Shoot more and then later review all your exif to see what focal length you have been shooting t most then get the lens that covers than range better. The 75-300 IS is a very useful lens and if you do get a 70-200 f/4 L (not 4.2=p ) you gotta make sure you have your hand holding technique as handshake is easy to get at 200mm...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Many noobie questions...

    actually, what is your budget?

    IMO, listing your requirements wont do enough for getting good advices without the budget figure being present. If budget is unlimited, go for the best.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Many noobie questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever View Post
    actually, what is your budget?

    IMO, listing your requirements wont do enough for getting good advices without the budget figure being present. If budget is unlimited, go for the best.
    haha, cannot be unlimited la... if unlimited, i won't be using 350D right? so my budget is realistically unlimited :P

    currently budget around 1-2k ... since planning to get them under installments... can stretch a bit more than 2k... but i don't wish to get a super high end lens/equipment and realise I have many other components that need to invest on first...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Many noobie questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    I'd stick to the current combo as it seems to cover the entire range well enough. Shoot more and then later review all your exif to see what focal length you have been shooting t most then get the lens that covers than range better. The 75-300 IS is a very useful lens and if you do get a 70-200 f/4 L (not 4.2=p ) you gotta make sure you have your hand holding technique as handshake is easy to get at 200mm...

    haha.thx for pointing out my mistake. :P

    but you are right about the hand holding technique, which i think i have alot to work on... f5.6 @ 300mm even with IS , I still get really really shaky pics. >.<

    thx for giving me the idea to look at my ranges via the exif..... will pay more attention to it....

  8. #8

    Default Re: Many noobie questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluezonescuba View Post
    Mmm... First i think your shooting range is still pretty wide to detemine which is best for you. I would say go for the 17-55mm IS USM or 17-40mm F4L if you really think you can cope with your kit len's range....

    300mm prime up i would say give it a miss cos until you specifically knows what's your needs and they are costly to try.... hard to get a used one too....

    have fun
    hmm.. 17-55 IS USM or 17-85 one?

    out of curiousity.... how much am i looking at for primes > 300mm? 3k?

    i noticed you have a 100-400mm IS L .... is it good for bird voyuering? :P

  9. #9

    Default Re: Many noobie questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by kelvgoh View Post
    Depending on what focal length you typically take at, you might like to consider either the EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM or the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. Price difference is very great. With lenses above 300mm, I would go for a prime rather than zoom. The other way to go might be to upgrade your current kit lens with an upgraded USM model.
    I'm thinking of selling my current kit lens... haha.. but what possibility could that happen since it came stock with all the canons. lol.

    hmm... 24-70mm 2.8L seems to be a closer match for the 70-200 f2.8L or f4L... whereas
    the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 seems to compliment the older zoom... though is good to get with 75-300mm

    decisions decisions.... seems like canon wants you to get all L lenses once you get started on one. :P

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •