Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sink Net....Nb.................

Default Re: Sink Net....Nb.................

Quote Originally Posted by soma View Post
    hav to wait till dec 2008..
    ... then no choice loh.

1 thing is that you can try what phoenix suggested.

Another is that you can try this method:

Make sure your modem is directly interfaced with the wall terminal without any use of long lengths of phone cable which degrades signal quality.

1. Unplug all phones that are on this ADSL line.
    2. Plug only 1 phone with the splitter and the microfilter.
    3. Try surfing.
    4. If line drops then there is seriously something wrong with your line's stability, i had this issue before but now solved after Singtel upped my signal.
    5. If line does not drop then slowly start adding your microfilters back 1 by 1.

Another point to note is that try not to exceed 3 microfilters on 1 ADSL line as this will likely cause the line to be unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by pHoenix View Post
    good luck, you won't get accurate figures.

even if you have access to the L2 and L3 devices of your ISP of choice to gather 24 hrs of statistics.. you still will not have an accurate figure or even a figure that is close to it.

take this over-simplified example of an end-to-end example.

test1) hostA - to - network - to - serverA = 1200ms ping
    test2) hostA - to - network - to - serverB = 2000ms ping

are you able to tell me how fast is the network? or how fast is the server from the statistics gathered?

take that analogy and blow it to across the globe with >15 hops. then you tell me which ISP is faster. :P
    Its not about gathering accurate figures, its just a rough table. What time to where, uses what route, ping response.

Yes, after much thought, downloads will not be fair, its area specific to the no. of cable users in the area.

But the problem is that the consumers buy always according to the "longkang" given to them AKA - the bigger the Mbps the better.. and they're all always pushing it. Not knowing the backend technology behind it.

Personally i'd rather go with a stable 1.5Mbps with good routing by the ISP rather than worrying "how come my connection cannot touch 10Mbps ah?" .... ... or the debate of "cable VS dsl" ... we know it'll never end. Its 2 different last mile deployment technologies and will forever be like you said - apple and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Its not about gathering accurate figures, its just a rough table. What time to where, uses what route, ping response.

Yes, after much thought, downloads will not be fair, its area specific to the no. of cable users in the area.
    this applies to ADSL as well, not just cable... you dont really get end-to-end connectivity when they tell you its 'direct' to the 'exchange'... everything gets into a pool and the bandwidth is shaped according to the package you pay for - and this includes premium subscribers. So if you are familiar with network QoS... guess who gets the priority when the network utilisation is high?

But the problem is that the consumers buy always according to the "longkang" given to them AKA - the bigger the Mbps the better.. and they're all always pushing it. Not knowing the backend technology behind it.
    blame it on the marketing people and the ignorance of the general public. its the same as slimming centers.... 'weight loss w/o pain!'

but it keeps the ISPs afloat, so I'm not really complaining....

Do you realise they always advertise max -download- speed? this is where adsl and cable is natively different. i tested my bandwidth before.... really can get 6Mbps.. but that was before they introduced the new pipe..
    however,when i try to upload video streams to my website....

Personally i'd rather go with a stable 1.5Mbps with good routing by the ISP rather than worrying "how come my connection cannot touch 10Mbps ah?" .... ... or the debate of "cable VS dsl" ... we know it'll never end. Its 2 different last mile deployment technologies and will forever be like you said - apple and oranges.
    you won't be able to determine good routing.... coz somehow, someone *will* screw up (refer to murphy's law), and your good routing becomes no route to host.

lets face it, we live in different parts of the island, some parts may be using newer models of routers, some older, it's not financially feasible to even upgrade all at one time. whats stable for you may not be so for others... even in the same HDB block i might add.

so just let the ISps say what they want, we just go in and try to get the one with most freebies and not contract ourselves to too long term... and everything would be fine...

Look on the brighter side, I don't have a pretty neighbour to borrow her wireless access from if my cable is down.... so i still kept on to my pac net dialup account.

this applies to ADSL as well, not just cable... you dont really get end-to-end connectivity when they tell you its 'direct' to the 'exchange'... everything gets into a pool and the bandwidth is shaped according to the package you pay for - and this includes premium subscribers. So if you are familiar with network QoS... guess who gets the priority when the network utilisation is high?
    Yup... familiar with QoS ... very true ... my connection is slowed down during the day only due to bandwidth given priority to commercial users and i'm not home during the day. But i'm still able to serve webpages, upload and download packages, recieve and send emails through my servers.

blame it on the marketing people and the ignorance of the general public. its the same as slimming centers.... 'weight loss w/o pain!'

but it keeps the ISPs afloat, so I'm not really complaining....

Do you realise they always advertise max -download- speed? this is where adsl and cable is natively different. i tested my bandwidth before.... really can get 6Mbps.. but that was before they introduced the new pipe..
    however,when i try to upload video streams to my website....
    Its always the case, the keyword here is "up to" - which is always used by SCV.

But how often can one touch that speeds? probably non-peak hours... i was pretty shocked when i went to a friend's home who gave up her DSL and went to cable, just for the fun of it, i ran a test - stream a quicktime trailer from apple's webby (high quality) @ 7-8pm. It had problems buffering. Following day, same time, i tried with my DSL... i didn't. Tried downloading files for the PC i was repairing, the speed slowed to a crawl with downloads going from fast to slow in a matter of seconds... at times - timing out. (this was done @ 2 places - a home in Marine Parade HDB area and a private house somewhere in Siglap)

you won't be able to determine good routing.... coz somehow, someone *will* screw up (refer to murphy's law), and your good routing becomes no route to host.

lets face it, we live in different parts of the island, some parts may be using newer models of routers, some older, it's not financially feasible to even upgrade all at one time. whats stable for you may not be so for others... even in the same HDB block i might add.

so just let the ISps say what they want, we just go in and try to get the one with most freebies and not contract ourselves to too long term... and everything would be fine...

Look on the brighter side, I don't have a pretty neighbour to borrow her wireless access from if my cable is down.... so i still kept on to my pac net dialup account.
    Yeap, true.

AFAIK ... insider sources states SCV has mostly upgraded their backend ...to what extent and to support .. i'm not too sure. Upgrades are usually done in phases.

Freebies that tie the consumer down eh? (Macbook 3 year bond ring a bell?) ... and beta test bandwidth shapers / DPI devices on this group of people. Sounds like fun.

1 thing's for sure. Magix Premiumsurf has come a long way and sadly its speed has deteoriated over the years, after the introduction of the 10Mbps plans, the speed has dropped significantly. Compared to my other line.
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 17th October 2006 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Its always the case, the keyword here is "up to" - which is always used by SCV.

But how often can one touch that speeds? probably non-peak hours... i was pretty shocked when i went to a friend's home who gave up her DSL and went to cable, just for the fun of it, i ran a test - stream a quicktime trailer from apple's webby (high quality) @ 7-8pm. It had problems buffering. Following day, same time, i tried with my DSL... i didn't. Tried downloading files for the PC i was repairing, the speed slowed to a crawl with downloads going from fast to slow in a matter of seconds... at times - timing out. (this was done @ 2 places - a home in Marine Parade HDB area and a private house somewhere in Siglap)
    to be fair, 'up to' clause is also used by $ingnet as well.... and sadly both ISPs disappointed me.

either case, i have results opposite of yours.. lol

Yeap, true.

AFAIK ... insider sources states SCV has mostly upgraded their backend ...to what extent and to support .. i'm not too sure. Upgrades are usually done in phases.
    Singnet also upgraded their infra, and dun need insider source.. coz that time they upgraded, their entire network went on holiday rofl. end up on newspaper.

Freebies that tie the consumer down eh? (Macbook 3 year bond ring a bell?) ... and beta test bandwidth shapers / DPI devices on this group of people. Sounds like fun.

1 thing's for sure. Magix Premiumsurf has come a long way and sadly its speed has deteoriated over the years, after the introduction of the 10Mbps plans, the speed has dropped significantly. Compared to my other line.

Magix is different backbone, it was on ATM, the preimum one still is ATM, where users get an ATM card.... but the 'new' magix is just a normal ethernet.

as for macbooks.... sucks to be them. the ibook wasnt that impressive, and alot of people think that can get these books and resell ... end up all have literal white elephants at home.. hahahahaha.. oops. hope i didnt offend anyone here. =P
    Last edited by pHoenix; 17th October 2006 at 10:54 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234