Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sink Net....Nb.................

Default Re: Sink Net....Nb.................

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    ok. just read. they said dialup broadband is safer because the ip address changes everytime you connect. Whereas for cable broadband(starhub), it is static, so if hackers get hold of your IP address, they can just wait at your doorstep forever.
    No such thing. You have to understand DHCP. The only static IP you get is if you are using leased line, ISDN or Singtel Magix.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma View Post
    No such thing. You have to understand DHCP. The only static IP you get is if you are using leased line, ISDN or Singtel Magix.
    There is a way to make it "static" but i shall not reveal here... those who are familiar with laghub and networking... should know.

Otherwise, its a DHCP lease with a certain period of "lease time" after which your IP changes. laghub is NOT STATIC.

Let's just face it, its like what YC said ... its similar to different brands of camera.

No point debating this on and on which/who is more reliable. We need figures - satay16 ... no use arguing if you can't prove statistics... In the end, its whether the maintenance crew screws up a maintenance @ the exchange end or in some part of the infrastructure. You'll have to put in the human equation for things to fail as well.

Believe me it has happened before.
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 16th October 2006 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    No point debating this on and on which/who is more reliable. We need figures - satay16 ... no use arguing if you can't prove statistics... In the end, its whether the maintenance crew screws up a maintenance @ the exchange end or in some part of the infrastructure. You'll have to put in the human equation for things to fail as well.
    yup. me trying to get some figures now.

Bearing in mind a couple of things.

Download times @ different times of the day - morning / afternoon / evenings / night / wee hours.

Ping rates / traces to different sites - again @ different times of the day - morning / afternoon / evenings / night / wee hours.

Make sure these are frequently visited sites by gamers / surfers alike.

To be fair - all timing taken best be the same.
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 16th October 2006 at 12:01 PM.

Bearing in mind a couple of things.

Download times @ different times of the day - morning / afternoon / evenings / night / wee hours.

Ping rates / traces to different sites - again @ different times of the day - morning / afternoon / evenings / night / wee hours.

Make sure these are frequently visited sites by gamers / surfers alike.

To be fair - all timing taken best be the same.
    very very hard to compare n get the figures. satay, if u get the figures now, it does not mean it is always the case.

There is a way to make it "static" but i shall not reveal here... those who are familiar with laghub and networking... should know.

Otherwise, its a DHCP lease with a certain period of "lease time" after which your IP changes. laghub is NOT STATIC.
    just curious what do you mean you got 'special' ways.... starhub has never been on static. no doubt my IP never changes for months but that doesnt mean it's not DHCP.

btw point #2 is not exactly accurate. :P

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz View Post
    its nt the isp...but the technology...the diff here is adsl n cable...go read up abt it n u will noe their pro n cons...
    it is not the technology, but the implementation, which is end up the isp.

don't forget it's not text book accuracy but you have to bear in mind equipment overheads and the actual network architect that designed the network and infrastructure that runs thru your neighbourhood.

I don't think i need to know how those cable and lines works.., i they provide and they su*k.
    check my contract, end dec 2008.. knn..

good luck, you won't get accurate figures.

even if you have access to the L2 and L3 devices of your ISP of choice to gather 24 hrs of statistics.. you still will not have an accurate figure or even a figure that is close to it.

take this over-simplified example of an end-to-end example.

test1) hostA - to - network - to - serverA = 1200ms ping
    test2) hostA - to - network - to - serverB = 2000ms ping

are you able to tell me how fast is the network? or how fast is the server from the statistics gathered?

take that analogy and blow it to across the globe with >15 hops. then you tell me which ISP is faster. :P

Quote Originally Posted by soma View Post
    I don't think i need to know how those cable and lines works.., i they provide and they su*k.
    check my contract, end dec 2008.. knn..
    thats the point, vote with your wallet. if you know your ISP sucks, then change.

if it really sucked, then good for you.

but if the reason it sucked because you are ignorant, then, lol, good luck. :P

Quote Originally Posted by pHoenix View Post

even if you have access to the L2 and L3 devices of your ISP of choice to gather 24 hrs of statistics.. you still will not have an accurate figure or even a figure that is close to it.

are you able to tell me how fast is the network? or how fast is the server from the statistics gathered?

take that analogy and blow it to across the globe with >15 hops. then you tell me which ISP is faster. :P

hmmm.....so overall, there is just no way to compare which is better?

hmmm.....so overall, there is just no way to compare which is better?
    you cannot compare, coz its apples and oranges though you eat both to get fiber and vitamins.

you can only base it on what i call 'user experience'... download speeds acceptable or not acceptable. to me, page loads 100% in under 10 secs is good for me.

you have to do due diligence to make sure your own pc is not infected with spyware/trojan/viruses in the first place that will definitely slow you down.

then theres the server that gets congested like the CPF website or IRAS website that clogs up during those special times.

then theres the real network screwups caused by natural disasters (we are talking about undersea cables to US/japan..etc) or caused by faulty/aging hardware

so many factors.

thats why i said, base it on your own experience. if good, stay with it.. if not, complain, and if still persist, switch camp and experience the other side of the field.

it is not the technology, but the implementation, which is end up the isp.

don't forget it's not text book accuracy but you have to bear in mind equipment overheads and the actual network architect that designed the network and infrastructure that runs thru your neighbourhood.
    he asking for pro n cons...so he should look within the technology and nt the isp...at the isp end...we wun noe wat kind of equipment they are using...but there is a guideline that isp need to maintain...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

dang............confuse.. guess i am the ignorant one..

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz View Post
    he asking for pro n cons...so he should look within the technology and nt the isp...at the isp end...we wun noe wat kind of equipment they are using...but there is a guideline that isp need to maintain...
    yes you will know what equipment they are using if you know how to look. but thats not part of the discussion here.

take for example, a camera... webcams CCD or CMOS technology... base on technology, one will know what is good/bad.

don't say same technology, how come one brand of CCD/CMOS implementation lose out to another brand of CCD/CMOS?

talk about batteries.... the nicad or li-ion. all is technology. how come you only go for certain brands?

its all in the implementation.

its all in the implementation.
    ..........and freebies.

..........and freebies.
    yes you can imagine how upset i was when i realise i missed out the free LCD TV + DVD Player + and PDA package given out by starhub.

it would've complimented the PS2 i just bought...

dang............confuse.. guess i am the ignorant one..
    lol.

ignorant doesnt mean no hope. dunno can learn, and become knowing....
    it is those who dunno, den dun wan to learn and still talk big are the hopeless ones. (I am unlucky to meet a lot of these people)

there are a few options for you... one i've already suggested when i first replied.

2)
    what you can do is call them up and ask them to check your phone line quality..
    or borrow a microfilter from a friend and see if its your microfilter causing the problem. (btw, i'm assuming that you are not having those 'extension' lines in the house... meaning 1 phone number line leading to 2 or more phones in the house... that one confirm will have problem.

3)
    one thing to note those older estate has not so good quality copper wires... and sometimes its the wires from exchange to your block that is poor quality (aged)... so u might be better off on cable... coz that one more recently layed.
    Last edited by pHoenix; 16th October 2006 at 09:54 PM.

lol.

ignorant doesnt mean no hope. dunno can learn, and become knowing....
    it is those who dunno, den dun wan to learn and still talk big are the hopeless ones. (I am unlucky to meet a lot of these people)

there are a few options for you... one i've already suggested when i first replied.

2)
    what you can do is call them up and ask them to check your phone line quality..
    or borrow a microfilter from a friend and see if its your microfilter causing the problem. (btw, i'm assuming that you are not having those 'extension' lines in the house... meaning 1 phone number line leading to 2 or more phones in the house... that one confirm will have problem.

3)
    one thing to note those older estate has not so good quality copper wires... and sometimes its the wires from exchange to your block that is poor quality (aged)... so u might be better off on cable... coz that one more recently layed.
    hav to wait till dec 2008..

hav to wait till dec 2008..
    there's always the option of paying the fine to break the contract....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast