Thread: Sunset shots

Default Sunset shots

Pls. comment

ND filter were used Pix uncropped and untouch up

Very nice.

Cheers.

I like the tree branch frame. Where did you shoot this?

why did u use an ND filter for sunset shots? or was it graduated ND? was it to capture unusual lighting?

Originally posted by hyun
    why did u use an ND filter for sunset shots? or was it graduated ND? was it to capture unusual lighting?
    ND filter cuts the stop down... especially gradual ND filter cos it cuts the sky brightness down if it is 2 bright thus it does gives a better control in overexposure and underexposure between the sky and the foreground or subject if metered for the sky/sun.

Originally posted by afiend

I like the tree branch frame. Where did you shoot this?
    Macritchie reservoir

the branch is really cool

Originally posted by jeffgoh

ND filter cuts the stop down... especially gradual ND filter cos it cuts the sky brightness down if it is 2 bright thus it does gives a better control in overexposure and underexposure between the sky and the foreground or subject if metered for the sky/sun.
    thanks for the info. i was just thinking, if using a grad ND, how will the camera meter ... cos u want the sky to be proprely exposed so ideally u should meter the sky through the grad ND.. if u only have centre-weighted metering and can't meter off-centre, u can only estimate?

like, meter the sky without ND, then lengthen the exposure based what ND factor u're using?

thanks for the info. i was just thinking, if using a grad ND, how will the camera meter ... cos u want the sky to be proprely exposed so ideally u should meter the sky through the grad ND.. if u only have centre-weighted metering and can't meter off-centre, u can only estimate?

like, meter the sky without ND, then lengthen the exposure based what ND factor u're using?
    i have no answer 4 you mayb u can do a search or try yourself and share with us the answer... Or mayb the are other expert here tat know and would like to share.

Somehow, filters are created to allow pple to have creative shots at various conditions.

Choosing to use any filters usually is a personal preference. No right or wrong rule. Some can even choose a sunset filter for a sunrise shot. Who cares?

Right filter, wrong filter, got filter, no filter, so long can make any audience go "WOW!" it's a good shot.

Don't think, just SHOOT!

actually you don't need any filters, just that i'm worried there'll be scratches on my lens, that's why i put a filter there
    Last edited by jeffgoh; 22nd January 2003 at 07:29 PM.

actually you don't need any filters actually, just that i'm worried there'll be scratches on my lens, that's why i put a filter there
    And you are telling me your lenses are scratch-proof the other day.

Originally posted by togu

And you are telling me your lenses are scratch-proof the other day.
    scratch-proof cos got filters mah

/me koks togu

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh
    Somehow, filters are created to allow pple to have creative shots at various conditions.

Choosing to use any filters usually is a personal preference. No right or wrong rule. Some can even choose a sunset filter for a sunrise shot. Who cares?

Right filter, wrong filter, got filter, no filter, so long can make any audience go "WOW!" it's a good shot.
    Mine no "WOW" = not a gd shot........

Mine no "WOW" = not a gd shot........

Don't fret... your previous set managed to make me go WOW!

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh

Don't fret... your previous set managed to make me go WOW!
    err previous oso no "WOW" leh........

WOW~!!!! nice sunrise photos you have...

Originally posted by togu
    WOW~!!!! nice sunrise photos you have...
    /me togu