Thread: sunrise & sunset setting

Default sunrise & sunset setting

newbie need help here......what is the best setting for shooting sunrise & sunset??? i'm a nikon user....pls help...

Default Re: sunrise & sunset setting

Quote Originally Posted by tony753 View Post
    newbie need help here......what is the best setting for shooting sunrise & sunset??? i'm a nikon user....pls help...
    I also newbie... I also want to learn lol

like any other time of the day, conditions of sunset/sunrise differs from time to time, as such there's no such thing as a best setting.

sunrise & sunset best captured @ its golden minute...

Hmmm... I can share with you what I did, but I am still in learning mode, so take it with a grain of salt.

Use tripod necessary, I usually shoot in AP mode for sunrise and sunset as most of landscape shots I took, usually set it between F8 to F11 max F16 to get the sharpness edge to edge.

Try out with -EV on your camera to see the differences it makes for every shot, experiment with Grad ND and Grad Colour filters and happy shooting.

../azul123

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by tony753 View Post
    before i can help i need to noe what camera u r using..dslr? PnS?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

the light level changes rapidly, so you can't have one setting to shoot sunrise or sunset.

I usaully use centre weighted metering, for sunrise or sunset, reading is taken around the sun, but not including the sun, that is the mid tone area, so I zoom in, take a reading or switch to spot metering.

Use that reading as a guild, plus or minus after you see the result from the screen.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    the light level changes rapidly, so you can't have one setting to shoot sunrise or sunset.

I usaully use centre weighted metering, for sunrise or sunset, reading is taken around the sun, but not including the sun, that is the mid tone area, so I zoom in, take a reading or switch to spot metering.

Use that reading as a guild, plus or minus after you see the result from the screen.
    yeah! metering is the key..spot meter is the best..visualise ur frame, find the spot that is 1-1.3 stop lower than the brightess spot, which is usually around the sun..get the metered reading, set it manually..

Quote Originally Posted by azul123
    Hmmm... I can share with you what I did, but I am still in learning mode, so take it with a grain of salt.

Use tripod necessary, I usually shoot in AP mode for sunrise and sunset as most of landscape shots I took, usually set it between F8 to F11 max F16 to get the sharpness edge to edge.

Try out with -EV on your camera to see the differences it makes for every shot, experiment with Grad ND and Grad Colour filters and happy shooting.
    small apertures is oso necessary for getting sharpness..

if shooting digital..bracketing can oso gives u a variation of shots, pick the best delete the rest..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

catchlight has given the best advice

aperture wise, it really depends on the lens. i find it alright to open the aperture wide on a wide angle lens like the sigma 12-24.

Thanks for all the advices.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    yeah! metering is the key..spot meter is the best..visualise ur frame, find the spot that is 1-1.3 stop lower than the brightess spot, which is usually around the sun..get the metered reading, set it manually..
    blazer_workz, 1-1.3 stop lower, what u mean is it -ev 1.3?

Blog Entries

see that "mountain" on ur dial? best setting.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal