Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Web Hostings - From which hosting company???

Default Re: Web Hostings - From which hosting company???

wow, very good advice from all the bros here - i completely agree that securing your own domain is v.v.important, always make sure u have full control if it. the 1st thing u shld do is get your domain name coz the longer you wait the higher the chance of it being taken. i personally would buy from godaddy.com.

i'll just share a bit of my exp:

after 6 yrs, we have decided to close down our hosting arm - main reason is that it is difficult to be competitive at a relatively low scale of operation with the overheads as what djchris and phoenix were mentioning. no matter how i look at it, i cannot justify the tech support effort with the prevailing market rates. its just not good ROI for us esp since we are too small (200 or so hosting clients only).

i think which host to use depends a lot on your own needs and preference. things like whether downtime or 'slowness' is tolerable or not, whether u want to call and talk to someone or u dun mind emailing. everyone have their own preference for an online portfolio hobby site (non ROI linked), IMO speed and reliability are not as impt as say an eCommerce site (which we may recommend mirror servers and RAID setups).

so it becomes just going for a package that suits you well in terms of space, bandwidth, charging structure. i would go for the cheapest package that suits me and ensure having scalability to a higher one seamlessly. this is so that u dun pay unecc. for wat u are not using at the current moment. also pay attention to whether they can support any online applications (gallery etc) that you may want to install in the future. of coz all this HAS to be done with a reliable host - i think the names mentioned are v.good already.

anyway just sharing, hope it helps!

hehe...been using free webhost for very long time...without ads...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpion View Post
    wow, very good advice from all the bros here - i completely agree that securing your own domain is v.v.important, always make sure u have full control if it. the 1st thing u shld do is get your domain name coz the longer you wait the higher the chance of it being taken. i personally would buy from godaddy.com.
    i'm not sure if you are aware... but buying domains from godaddy is easy.... but when you want to transfer it out.. it's a different story.

for domain hostings, i'm more particular... in the event of a dispute, i do not want to have a stack of fine prints thrown at me.

imho, local hosting companies have no leverage to compete with others in the big internet. the current .sg domain registration fee is a joke. the reasons local hosting companies try to justify to consumers is a joke.

its only those doing B2B hostings that managed to scrape it through. and it's through economies of scale, and hosting is not their main forte... but rather things like BCP solutions.
    Last edited by pHoenix; 18th October 2006 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pHoenix View Post
    i'm not sure if you are aware... but buying domains from godaddy is easy.... but when you want to transfer it out.. it's a different story.

for domain hostings, i'm more particular... in the event of a dispute, i do not want to have a stack of fine prints thrown at me.

imho, local hosting companies have no leverage to compete with others in the big internet. the current .sg domain registration fee is a joke. the reasons local hosting companies try to justify to consumers is a joke.

its only those doing B2B hostings that managed to scrape it through. and it's through economies of scale, and hosting is not their main forte... but rather things like BCP solutions.

May I know what kind of reasons are you looking at?
    Last edited by djchris; 18th October 2006 at 11:12 AM.

so just want to clear up something. rather than having the free domain registration done by those hosting services when i sign up for their plans, i should actually go to another hosting service just to buy a domain? dun quite get why, i thought if i need to change to another hosting service, all i need to do is just contact them to transfer it to the new hoster?

Domain names are registered through registrars like enom, godaddy, namecheap, etc. The free domain name provided by the webhosts are also registered through registrars just that they do it for you. So if you were to switch hosts, you can just point your domain name to your new webhost through the registrar's management system.

Hi satay16,

For your benefit, I've taken a look at 1and1.com. The other one loaded too slowly so I did not bother to look at it. 1and1.com's developer hosting plan looks alright, although you'll probably not need that much bandwidth and webspace anyway. Just fyi, most of my clients barely hit 3GB bandwidth per month.

As for webspace, it's cool to have so much space but they are definitely overselling, meaning they don't really allocately that much physical disk space to you in their server (if all their clients actually use the maximum amount of webspace they paid for, their server will run out of disk space), but you probably won't even use up to a third of it anyway.

A thing to look out for is that they only give a 100MB database for you which is strange because normally your database size is the same as the amount of webspace you are given because they use the same space. So if you are going to be doing some programming or run a really successful forum like CS, 100MB database may not be enough.

I shan't comment on the speed of their server because you already chose overseas webhosts for the price-factor.

They also provided their own gallery script and blog script. So just see if you like them anot, or you will have to install your own scripts (not very hard to install your own scripts anyway).

Personally, I'd advise you to probably get their 1&1 Home plan instead if you are not a programmer because you are most likely not going to utilize most of the features like SSL certs, ssh access that you are paying for. Do make use of the 90-day money back guarantee and try out their services. If it is too slow for you or support not good enough, you can also get your money back anyway.

Have fun~

Quote Originally Posted by djchris View Post
    Hi satay16,

For your benefit, I've taken a look at 1and1.com. The other one loaded too slowly so I did not bother to look at it. 1and1.com's developer hosting plan looks alright, although you'll probably not need that much bandwidth and webspace anyway. Just fyi, most of my clients barely hit 3GB bandwidth per month.

As for webspace, it's cool to have so much space but they are definitely overselling, meaning they don't really allocately that much physical disk space to you in their server (if all their clients actually use the maximum amount of webspace they paid for, their server will run out of disk space), but you probably won't even use up to a third of it anyway.

A thing to look out for is that they only give a 100MB database for you which is strange because normally your database size is the same as the amount of webspace you are given because they use the same space. So if you are going to be doing some programming or run a really successful forum like CS, 100MB database may not be enough.

I shan't comment on the speed of their server because you already chose overseas webhosts for the price-factor.

They also provided their own gallery script and blog script. So just see if you like them anot, or you will have to install your own scripts (not very hard to install your own scripts anyway).

Personally, I'd advise you to probably get their 1&1 Home plan instead if you are not a programmer because you are most likely not going to utilize most of the features like SSL certs, ssh access that you are paying for. Do make use of the 90-day money back guarantee and try out their services. If it is too slow for you or support not good enough, you can also get your money back anyway.

Have fun~
    thanks! but should be getting the developer plan. mainly due to the 3 free domains though the other specs ,hmmm.....are indeed overkill like what you said.

I use namecheap.com and prolinkhosting.com

got my webby up and running within 4days. Filezilla for FTP.

all these only under S$30. definitely attractive for a freelance like me. cheers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123