Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Web Hostings - From which hosting company???

Default Re: Web Hostings - From which hosting company???

i'm using www.usonyx.net and it's very very good!

local host.. as in based in sg.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyforever View Post
    Don't let the above posts mislead you.
    Especially this "cuz if you use US ones it'll be listed under US and probably remain unknown for another decade"

Most Singapore hosting companies are overcharging the public with inferior services.
    Why? Because the market is small and if you really count, not that many people own personal domains or know how to start up personal websites from scratch.

The U.S hosting market is matured and almost at the point of saturation. Typical students will set up personal web servers in their dorms/homes and run their own hosting services.
    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    hi. have you used both US and singapore hosting and access it both locally and in china before? just want to know if this is first hand info or general info floating about on the internet. right now, i am just slightly cautious about opinions as i am going crazy searching for them on the internet, there are so many reviews but they always clash with each other. one site can have Host A rated as the top and another can critisise it like damn bad like that. suspect that those review site are paid by specific hosting companies. so i have sort of given up on online reviews. anyone has first hand experience using US-based hosting services before?
    i am not really concerned about the listing, because it really doesn't affect me.

i used to use a few hosts from US. i can never manage to check my email or website when i'm in china, occasionally hk.

i have accessed and compared in china, korea, greece, italy, germany, malaysia, thailand, singapore etcetc myself when i travelled... the hk host loads faster than US ones i had, and had no probs so far with hk one, but US one had quite a couple downtimes during my most important periods.. and i lost emalis. also when i was in china more than 80% of the US hosted websites i know load extremely slow.

but again, it is only my personal experience, that's why i said i wasn't sure. hope that helps.

ps: sorry, in case you're mistaken, i do buy the plan from local company.. ^^;
    Last edited by zemotion; 14th October 2006 at 12:13 AM.

Regardless, VERY nice artwork you have on your sites!

I am using readyspace.com.(Local company) Domain(.com) yearly $28 registered under your name. (.com.sg will be more exp so settle for .com will do) As low as $6 per month I think but you have to sign up for at least a year which is still relatively affordable.

Have been using them for last 3 years and recommending their services to others.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by djchris View Post
    I'm speaking from the point of view of a web host (because I am one)

I beg to differ about the speeds between local servers and overseas servers. There is definitely difference. It may not be a humongous difference, but there is definitely difference due to the route it takes for the contents of a webpage to reach you.
    I disagree with your comments. That difference you talk about is in milliseconds. Routes from Singapore to US is the fastest, since we have major trunks directly connected.

Are the web hosts in Singapore overcharging?
    Ask yourself this. How much do you earn an hour for your current job? $5? $10? $20? or even more?
    If a local web host charges you $100 for a year to host your website & domain and spends time creating your account, maintaining your account (not to mention the 24/7 email or phone support rendered). Divide that $100 by 12 and you are actually paying them $8.33 a month for the piece of work. This means they are paid $0.27 a DAY & I'm not even going to talk about hourly pay. We are not even offsetting the cost of maintaining the hardware & domain name charges.
    Granted, you are talking in the terms of a web host, but you don't seem to acknowledge that web hosting is an international playing field. No offense but, consumers are not interested in your overheads - they are only interested in who provides best value for money.

To be frank, let me tell you this. If someone is offering 5GB of webspace and many many tetrabytes of bandwidth. They are definitely overselling with the assumption that nobody will use the full 5GB of webspace. I myself don't oversell webspace so I charge a REASONABLE sum for every byte of webspace.
    'Someone' who is able to offer gigs of space and bandwidth, has the capacity to do so, thus they are able to leverage on what they call "economies of scale". No matter how 'reasonable' your sum is, it will not be as attractive when compared feature to feature to overseas hostings. Especially when you are talking about bigscale hosters like powweb (www.powweb.com) - these people have infrastructures with cluster farms, thousands of sites hosted and customers. They have the portfolio and the 99% uptime guarrentee and 24 hour helpdesk.

Face the reality. There is no need for oversell. They give you databases, tools, gigs of space and bandwidth, backups and support... they throw in a couple of months or even a year free when you sign up long term... and all these are at under 8USD/mth.

Like i said, consumers have to be aware of terms used by web hosters to blur the lines of T&C. There is a difference between 'unmetered' and 'unlimited', among other things. This includes local singaporean web hosting companies.

And remember this. If your overseas host disappears with your yearly payment, are you going to fly over there to try and get a refund? You wouldn't even know who to claim from. At least in Singapore, when you host with a registered webhosting company, you can at least find out the owner of the company from ACRA (with a small fee), should you be unlucky that the owner run off with your money.

Just my 10 cents.
    read my reply above.

even in singapore, there are a lot of small-time IT companies that ran away with customers' monies. Finding out owner will not help anyway. The recovery process and cost will be more than the subscription itself.

The risk is the same, please do not mislead others by saying the risk is different.

Anyone interested in subscribing web hosting should really go read up about it first.
    There are forums and reviews out there, read and make your own informed decision.

Don't spend 20 mins choosing $10 worth of eggs, but spend hundreds of dollars just basing on other people's heresay or recommandations without research.

phew. those comments sure help. ok. so now its between these two. seacrch and search and search, search forums, reviews(damn they are biased), blogs(of webmasters), blah blah blah........ It boils down to two web that gives enuf bang for my buck, yet reliable enuf.

www.ixwebhosting.com
    www.1and1.com

which one? eni mini eni mo.

I've never used a SG web hosting company after a really bad experience and never will again. Was being charged for every little thing. Advised some non-profits to switch to US hosting and they have.

Try siteflip.com and cphosting.com . Have used them for years, and their customer response is surprisngly fast. Look at the offered features as well; MySQL, PHP etc. They aren't even automatic for some SG web hosts.

hey guys, what hosting does CS use? i noticed whenever it nears 11pm everyday, it just lags like hell or hangs.

phew. those comments sure help. ok. so now its between these two. seacrch and search and search, search forums, reviews(damn they are biased), blogs(of webmasters), blah blah blah........ It boils down to two web that gives enuf bang for my buck, yet reliable enuf.

www.ixwebhosting.com
    www.1and1.com

1 & 1 seems good with the free golive software if you are going for the Biz or Dev plans.

Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    1 & 1 seems good with the free golive software if you are going for the Biz or Dev plans.
    yeah, i planning to go for their developer plans.

I would like to find those with one time registration for domain fees, not those after charging this then charge that, end up paying alot for first registration. Also would like are those paying by annually...

Anyone would like to share did they experienced paying alot for the domain names, after selecting from a web host company that says pay this amount and get a domain name but after paying up the domain, start charging this and that fees??? Then monthly or annually, the fees paid are over charged...

Anybody? Care to share some more experiences...

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    I would like to find those with one time registration for domain fees, not those after charging this then charge that, end up paying alot for first registration. Also would like are those paying by annually...

Anyone would like to share did they experienced paying alot for the domain names, after selecting from a web host company that says pay this amount and get a domain name but after paying up the domain, start charging this and that fees??? Then monthly or annually, the fees paid are over charged...

i thought most charge annually or monthly...... charging extras for bandwidth? i used to exceed my bandwidth alot when it was very little. but i knew the guy so he usually didn't charge =X

Quote Originally Posted by sandyforever View Post
    Regardless, VERY nice artwork you have on your sites!
    ah.. thanks ^^;

www.ixwebhosting.com
    www.1and1.com

Can't go wrong with 1and1.
    If you are still not convinced, research in anandtech.com or any U.S based computer forums.

Stay away from packages that binds your domain and webhost together.
    Get them separately. Domain names are cheap and you don't need to change provider.
    But sometimes you might find a better web hosting deal elsewhere, and you have
    the flexibility to switch provider without having to mess around with your domain registry.

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post

Always make the effort to go through your potential webhost's T&C & SLA to fully understand what you are getting. Sometimes when they say they give unmetered bandwidth, they may still cap it at a limit like 50GB in their policy because bandwidth is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    Does this apply to those living outside the US? The T&C for 1&1 says limited to US only.

1and1 is not that good. You will regret of its slow speed .....

My advice is go for a local hosting company whether its A,B or C company so at least when things happen you still have a mode of contact to them locally. Overseas supposingly all goes thru email correspondence where the time difference may post a problem in resolving the slightest issues.

I think every company has its way of attracting customers n level of service standard. High plan or low plan base on your usage there may be a few $ difference only. Adding up supposingly in a year plans of subscriptions u probably save $20-$50 between company A n B.

Try it out yourself. Important things is to own the domain you register (example: www.abc.com) so that if A company fails in their service standard, just switch over to Company B. Switching makes easy when you personally OWN the domain and not the hosting company co-own on your behalf.

Get it!

Quote Originally Posted by sclau19 View Post
    My advice is go for a local hosting company whether its A,B or C company so at least when things happen you still have a mode of contact to them locally. Overseas supposingly all goes thru email correspondence where the time difference may post a problem in resolving the slightest issues.

I think every company has its way of attracting customers n level of service standard. High plan or low plan base on your usage there may be a few $ difference only. Adding up supposingly in a year plans of subscriptions u probably save $20-$50 between company A n B.

Try it out yourself. Important things is to own the domain you register (example: www.abc.com) so that if A company fails in their service standard, just switch over to Company B. Switching makes easy when you personally OWN the domain and not the hosting company co-own on your behalf.

Get it!

how do i "own" the domain? which websites allows me to buy the domain without using the hosting website?

how do i "own" the domain? which websites allows me to buy the domain without using the hosting website?
    In order to "own" the domain name, your name should be reflected when you do a WHOIS on your domain name. Technically, you "own" your domain name when your information is stated in the registrar instead of your webhost's.

This benefits you greatly when you wish to switch webhosts due to any disputes or if your webhost MIA because you can contact the registrar directly to transfer your domain name to you even though it is under your webhost's account.

You can purchase your own domain name through websites like namecheap.com and godaddy.com that does domain name registration through credit card or paypal payments.

When you sign up with a webhost that does the domain name registration for you, they will configure the domain name to point to their name server so that when you enter the domain name into the web browser, it will link to the webhost's server. If you were to purchase your own domain name, and then sign up with a webhost, you will have to configure your own domain name to point to the webhost's nameserver.

If you find the above paragraph too complicated to understand, it would be better for you to get your webhost to register your domain name for you. Just make sure that the webhost you sign up with, agree that your domain name will be registered under your name (I'm not sure about overseas, but most local webhosts do that).

To double-check on this, do a WHOIS check on your domain name and make sure that it shows your name instead of your webhost's.

Now, how to do a WHOIS check?
    You can visit websites like www.dnsstuff.com & enter your domain name to do a WHOIS check.

Hope this information helps...
    Last edited by djchris; 17th October 2006 at 05:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast