Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation needed for ext hard disk.

Default Re: Recommendation needed for ext hard disk.

ok everyone. so.......the question still remains, which one?

Quote Originally Posted by tcsalbert View Post
    I work in the HD industry. The best advise I can give is buy a hard disk with the longest warranty period you can find.

Cheers,

Al
    iirc seagate has the longest warranty on their products.

On a personal note, have never used a seagate drive. I do not trust seagates products (since the time of now defunct quantum and conner) although they are the largest disk drive manufacturer around.

iirc most hdd like samsung/hitachi/seagate have a 5yrs warranty... all will fail one day... so just get the cheapest one. (except for toshiba... i think it sucks)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes234 View Post
    iirc seagate has the longest warranty on their products.

On a personal note, have never used a seagate drive. I do not trust seagates products (since the time of now defunct quantum and conner) although they are the largest disk drive manufacturer around.

My brand new 200 Gb Seagate harddisk failed within 3 mths. All my photos were lost, including some that are priceless because they were family pics. When I went down to get it fixed, was told that there is no 1-1 replacement as the model had been discontinued. All this when the largest common HD then was 250-300Gb. So had to leave the HD there for them to fix.

In the end, I bought another 200Gb Maxtor HD and swore never to get another seagate HD if I can help it.

Lesson learnt : Always back up all your photos. Don't be lazy

Quote Originally Posted by midicity View Post
    My brand new 200 Gb Seagate harddisk failed within 3 mths. All my photos were lost, including some that are priceless because they were family pics. When I went down to get it fixed, was told that there is no 1-1 replacement as the model had been discontinued. All this when the largest common HD then was 250-300Gb. So had to leave the HD there for them to fix.

In the end, I bought another 200Gb Maxtor HD and swore never to get another seagate HD if I can help it.

Lesson learnt : Always back up all your photos. Don't be lazy
    someone who has the same phobia as me- Seagatephobia. Must be feeling damn lousy right ? that whole disk of precious photos just *poof*. grrrrrr......

btw, did you got your photos recovered? my school's seagate totally crashed, all recovery software did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    someone who has the same phobia as me- Seagatephobia. Must be feeling damn lousy right ? that whole disk of precious photos just *poof*. grrrrrr......

btw, did you got your photos recovered? my school's seagate totally crashed, all recovery software did not work.
    My advise is never trust any make of HDD. Seagate/Maxtor, WD, Toshiba and Samsung use more or less the same technology and mechanical component. Today, Seagate comes out with perpendicular recording, tomorrow the rest of the industry will try to copy.

Never buy any first batch HDD platform, in order to beat deadline and launch the product before their competitors do, alot of quality waivers have to be made.

Never buy a cheap HDD. It is almost impossible for these HDD makers to control their 1st, 2nd and third tier suppliers. When there is a cost cutting exercise, these suppliers will have to deviate from the best practice to survive the onslaught.

Pray before you buy. The fly height between the read write head and the recording media is only 9 nanometer (0.000000009mm) your hair thickness is 0.08mm. A spec of dust is like an elephant dancing on your media, bound to crash. If an operator wears cosmetic or perfume to work, those HDD handled by her will crash. Perfume particulate will condense on the cold platter surface and make it inert to electrical pluses. Cosmetic power and skin flake will render the same effect of a spec of dust.

Before you buy, check out the latest data provided by the repair centers. Avoid those models high on the repair list.

Hi. I have an Iomega ext HD 80GB which is my only backup HD. It has been serving me well but is running out of space. Lately, my school photography club's main ext hard disk crashed and files were totally not recoverble . It's a Seagate. So right now, i would like a firm and confident recommendation of which ext HD to use. I know Iomega is expensive, but do their quality justify their pricing? If they do, i dun mind paying the extra just to have a peace of mind. and also, this hard disk must be able to survive long periods of storage time in the dry box. For eg, some of my very important critical yet not oftenly opened files are currently saved into a stack of zip disks i have as they give me the confidence that they can survive stale storage for a long time(which i think is true as these disks are like 10-12 years old.)

Overall, i just need a good reliable ext HD, which i dun mind paying extra if it is really good, and must survive stale storage(meaning left untouched) for long periods of time. thanks!

btw, i have removed seagate from my list as my club's HD crashing is one of a nightmare, imagine 2 whole years of photographs of events just *poof*. though i might be quite unfair to seagate, i think it is just a physchological comfort not to use something i saw broken before.
    Hi Satay16

Let me share my views and experience with storage, maybe it might help you choose the type of backup.

Currently Seagate is the biggest HDD maker in the market and still growing due to demands on storage and their deal with Xbox. Seagate provides a 5yr warranty and this shows their confident in their product. I wouldn't dare say seagate is best. Many years back, they sucks to be frank. BUt nowadays they are quite stable. Buying a piece of electronic device, from my point of view, depends on luck. If you are lucky you get device that last 10 yrs or more. I have various brands of drives that are still working after 10yrs, such as Quantum 3.4Gb or Seagate 10GB. So luck plays a part in this. Don't let 1 bad experience destroy your trust in the brand. Remember, Maxtor has been bought over by Seagate already. SO they are nwo one family too!

Ok back to your question on backup. As HDD are mechanical devices, they are better off powered up regularly so that the parts moved. They are basically built to last but wear and tear does occur over the yrs. My recommendation, if the data are impt to you, get 2 drives and use 1 as a regular drive and the other as a freq backup. Drives are not too exp nowadays so it shld be fine for you since you mentioned don't mind paying. Someone mentioned raid and etc. I suggest that if you are not too technical person, don't use raid. Just use the drives normally on either an external casing or connected to your motherboard. To play safe, you can consider changing new drives every 3yrs.

Another permanent form of backup which should last over years is to use DVDs. I understand that someone mentioned that DVD backup sucks as they can't be read after sometime. This I do agree partialy. Prob might be due to cheap and lousy dvds used. Such discs lose data easily. Buying good branded dvds like verbatim puts your heart at ease as these brands are well known for data reliability. But 1 problem with dvds is that you need to put these disc to read once a while to ensure that the data is still there.

By combing dvd backups and HDD you will get full redundancy on your data backup.

In short, there is no long lasting backup. As users, we just need to do our own due diligence to backup regularly to avoid heart pain!!

Saying said so.... I think I should go backup all my 40GB photos now!!!

Hope the above helps...

Its not so much of the dust, particles which drops on the surface of the disk media during assembly. i believe these are quite controlled in the assembly process.

Its more of the defects (particulates from the thin film deposition and washing process) which are generated on the disk media during the maufacturing process.
    some drive companies don't even test for these defects. these defects may grow over time

like what silence sky mentioned
    as for perpendicular technology, i would advise to wait for the technology to stabilize.
    defects which i mentioned above are more prominent in perpendicular technology.

If u really want to back up ur data, just get another harddisk and copy whatever files which are important to you.
    that should be relatively safe
    Last edited by Hobbes234; 14th October 2006 at 01:18 AM.

Nope, couldn't recover the photos. Luckily, had given 70% of the photos to a relative, so got most of them back

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    I run a Raid 5 on my Buffalo Terastation NAS. It's slower than a directly connected harddisk, but serves well as a huge capacity storage that's isolated from my main pc.
    Hi Splutter, just wondering how much you paid for your Buffalo Terastation? Was thinking of getting one myself. Is it the Pro version? Is it the 1TB version? Just how much slower is it? I presume its the Raid 5 that slows it down? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Hi Splutter, just wondering how much you paid for your Buffalo Terastation? Was thinking of getting one myself. Is it the Pro version? Is it the 1TB version? Just how much slower is it? I presume its the Raid 5 that slows it down? Thanks!
    hey! guess what? was buying a laptop at sls and stumbled across that buffulo. i remembered the first 2 digits of its price: 13XX.

Anyway, HDD drives company strategies are simple. Those you found in SLS, we call it distribution HDD drives, and are of 2nd grade, or even worse, repaired/refurbish drives, in terms of quality/performance. Better grade drives are mostly given to those big Computer manufacturer, i.e. HP, Lenova, etc...

Tricks to spot repaired/refurb drives, look out for any exterior marking by marker pens, likely those are the bad ones.

So Seagate or not, all HDD company adopt such method, so it'll really depends on ur luck really!

HDD will eventually fail no matter what brand you buy. I am surprised that at the moment no one has said that their Maxtor HDD failed and now they suffer from Maxtor-phobia. The truth is..no matter how much it sucks: No matter what brand you buy, it will crash. It jus happens that urs is a seagate. All mechanical things will fail, jus like Toyotas cars fail too, jus less often than before (generally). But on individual cases there are also cases where someone gets a car that screws up and dies in the first few months.

HDD cannot and should not be used for the storage you mentioned (stale storage)> if you understand how HDD works you will know why. It is made of moving parts. You knwo what happens if u leave moving cars around too long without using them. Jus like engines of cars...you cannot leave your car parked in the garage for years without bringing it out for a spin. Cos the day you decide to, it will not start.

If you really want to be sure, you can leave a copy on your HDD, do a backup on another HDD. Burn it into several DVDs, upload it onto a site like flickr with a pro acct.

I doubt all of them will fail at the same time, dun i won't give any kinda guarantees.

ermm........so which brand do all of you reccommend? so far, still no reccommendations. i mean right now, i just want to step into a shop and know which one to get rather than just randomly choosing one. there must be some brands which some of you favour more right, maybe because the hard disk has more functions or looks cooler or other attractive factors? (and also, still within acceptable price range).

just noticed that the thread sort of went slightly off track into a topic about whether there are such things as fool-proof HD. the seagate experience is just one of human nature, not that i expect hard disks to be error-free, but rather, whenever now i take a seagate HD, it keeps ringing scary memories, so......yar, it's just that.

Just budget to replace the hard disk every 2-3 years. I've had all brands fail on me, but so far Hitachi has been most reliable for me. Older hard disks become video scratch disks if they survive. :P

It is not a surprise to hear or see more of the market leader getting more failures/accolades. Statistically speaking it should represent their market share. Since Seagate is the market leader in HDD, it should have its fair share of failures. Nothing to be afraid of. Don't rule out Seagate unfairly as it may be unfair to yourself.

In electronics, (also apply to many other goods too) if it is made by the same manufacturer, go for the price. Don't go for the brand, you may pay a premium for the brand name and you get exactly the same thing inside. The outside difference may only be the colour or some slight cosmetic differences. The inside components may be identical - look at the Sony battery recall in notebooks- it looks like almost all the major makers are using the same battery from Sony.

So, in choosing almost anything, where reliabilty is important, go for any established brand for peace of mind. Of course, if service is unescapable during the lifespan of the product, after sales service is therefore an important consideration eg, Toyota spare parts is more easily available than continental cars spare parts.

I was wondering about the Raid 5 HD solutions like Buffalo Terastation that some CSers are using. What if one of the drives fail? Do you need to replace it with an identical capacity drive? Or can you put in a higher capacity one? What if you can't find the identical capacity HD when one fails in future? What then?

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    I was wondering about the Raid 5 HD solutions like Buffalo Terastation that some CSers are using. What if one of the drives fail? Do you need to replace it with an identical capacity drive? Or can you put in a higher capacity one? What if you can't find the identical capacity HD when one fails in future? What then?
    According to the Terastation instructions, you just replace the spoiled drive with one of equal or higher capacity. The extra space on the larger drive is unused.

Just get one that fits your budgets. HDD has a average lifespan of around 4 years, depending on your luck. Get the one with the longest warranty. But take note that the warranty does not cover the data in the HDD.
    Never mind which brand HDD u get, the moment u put data on it, do a backup.

The best backup I know of is tape. They maybe slow, but reliable.
    The tape can easily outlast any HDD by 5 times.

ok everyone. so.......the question still remains, which one?

maxtor, they do have that "one push of a button back-up thing"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast